heated gear

googus

Guys I just got heated gloves and a jacket. I was wondering if anyone had any idea about wire routing or pictures on wires from battery. I have a single troller control that is not one that can stay on the bike.

Would ones guess is to place troller in tank bag and just let the wires come out from seat up to bag?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Guys I just got heated gloves and a jacket. I was wondering if anyone had any idea about wire routing or pictures on wires from battery. I have a single troller control that is not one that can stay on the bike.

Would ones guess is to place troller in tank bag and just let the wires come out from seat up to bag?

Thanks

Hi. I guess it all depends on how professional a setup you want. Not being very electrically-minded, I opted for the simple solution which is supplied connectors direct to battery then route cabling to exit from the cooling vent of the rear cowling just beneath riders left thigh (you may prefer right side as you all ride on wrong other side of the road over there :biggrin: ). When not in use, I stuff the cable behind the cowl (4 UK winters now and no corrosion or any problems). I don't have a controller on mine (Klan heated jacket) but I would be loathe to have too many cables exiting my tank bag - JMHO. I'm sure someone else will have a more elegant solution.

Googus: I've a 5th Gen. With several other bikes and wanting to ride warm I've added "Powerlet" or an SAE connectors to all the bikes. Besides the advantage for running heated clothing, other accessories can plug in and you can charge the battery through the same port. if it's wired directly, w/fuse!!! Take a look at easternbeaver.com mentioned often on this list. Excellent materials. Wonderful service. I ran a fused line from battery to fairing, afixing a Powerlet connector at the short vertical section, above your knee, next to the fuel tank. There are many other ideas and locations to ponder. Good fortune, R~

Gerbing heated gear on my 5th gen (my vtec couldn't take it and kept blowing fuses and melting wires)!

I have one power lead direct from battery and have it coming out of the seat on the left hand side - the lead has a cap for when it's not in use to protect from bad weather.

How come your back on a VFR again now? I seem to be following you, I owned a Sprint and now thinking of getting a blackbird but the only thing stopping me is it's uncomfortable for pillions with long legs (like my g/f)

• Member Contributer

Gerbing heated gear on my 5th gen (my vtec couldn't take it and kept blowing fuses and melting wires)!

I have one power lead direct from battery and have it coming out of the seat on the left hand side - the lead has a cap for when it's not in use to protect from bad weather.

How come your back on a VFR again now? I seem to be following you, I owned a Sprint and now thinking of getting a blackbird but the only thing stopping me is it's uncomfortable for pillions with long legs (like my g/f)

A Blackbird now? Gone off the Vtec idea?

To be honest I did not want to ship my Blackbird when I moved and some guy gave me more $$ than I paid for it. Si when I got settled in I was looking for another Bird but couldn't find one in good shape. Blackbirds are great bikes specially if you set them up with better suspension.

During my search for a Bird I came across a 2006VFR with Bags at a good Price so I jumped on that since my other favorite bike was the VFR since I had 4 in the past and know them a bit:)

Fair enough, my favourite bikes too, I've had 6 VFR's now :blink:

Hey Skids no I'm not after a blackbird due to the comfort, I had a test ride on one not so long ago and just over an hour of riding my wrists and back were killing me and my good lady hated the pillion pegs for room - birds are good if you have a short girfriend I guess but I can do multiple days on VFR's and never have any issues - plus for me, the extra power is nice but it's not something I miss or would use much! By the way sound advice about the price, I think I'm going to wait for a better deal, but I'm in no hurry as my 5th gen keeps reminding me lately just how damn good it is

• Member Contributer

I have one SAE lead on my 5th gen too. Direct from the battery on the left side. I only run a vest on the VFR although I do run heated grips as well.

I am buying some additional warm n safe gear but most likely will not run that on the VFR as I am not sure I have the juice?

• Member Contributer

ii am running a powerlet stem mount with a powerlet to coax adapter. I clip my dual controller to my jacket or tank bag. Works great and a clean install.

• Member Contributer

I'm using a Gerbings liner with their temp controller. The power cord sticks out between the seat and tank on the left side and I clip the controller to the pocket on my stich. I did have to get one extension coax cable to make it all reach. When I'm not using the power cord I just tuck it in next to the battery.

I have one SAE lead on my 5th gen too. Direct from the battery on the left side. I only run a vest on the VFR although I do run heated grips as well.

I am buying some additional warm n safe gear but most likely will not run that on the VFR as I am not sure I have the juice?

I can run two sets of heated gloves and a heated jacket on my 5th gen without problems :fing02:

• Member Contributer

It's all personal preference.. lol

I have mine tucked up the center of the seat between my legs. No issues so far.

Mine exits in front of seat between the tank and seat. Connected directly to the battery with a inline fuse six inches from battery. When the weather warms the short harness can be tucked under the seat or over by the rear break fluid res. . Works great

Update

I hooked the harness directly to the battery and ran the cable up the left side of the bike under the gas tank. It ends by the wire and brake lines by the neck of the bike. I then zip tied the end in place.

I then cut two holes in my tank bag (one in the front and one facing the rider. I place the heat troller in the bag with one cord going to harness and the other facing the rider for the gear.

Well it was 32 out when I decided to test it all out and all I can say is WOW what on earth have I been doing these past 20 years! The jacket and gloves got HOT on full and I had to turn the dial way down for the rest of the hour ride.

A+ on heated gear.

Greg

• Member Contributer

...and all I can say is WOW what on earth have I been doing these past 20 years!

I bought my heated gear about 4 years ago and the first time I used it I immediately had the same thought. It's amazing that, after so many years of riding in cold weather, one little investment could change things so much.

• Member Contributer

...and all I can say is WOW what on earth have I been doing these past 20 years!

I bought my heated gear about 4 years ago and the first time I used it I immediately had the same thought. It's amazing that, after so many years of riding in cold weather, one little investment could change things so much.

+1.gif

I don't have grip heaters so being able to turn on the gloves without the jacket would be nice.

I'm planning to rewire my jacket with a dual controller so gloves can be set independent of jacket. I think I can put the controller under the lining of my jacket, with knobs exiting to side for access. And then it's just a straight power connection to the bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just picked up a Warm N Safe liner in addition to my Stich vest. The WNS has a remote wireless heat controller which is sweet.

I have a long winter ride on tap and based on past experience the vest is not enough for long rides in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

+1.gif on the Powerlet install.

I have mine on the left side of the bike, just in front of the passenger peg. I connect an adapter cable from the Powerlet to my Gerbings controller that I strap to the left leg of my riding pants. Exiting the controller, the wire runs up to the jacket liner power plug. The whole setup is portable which allows me to use the gear on my Ducati S2R as well. A big plus is that I use the Powerlet connector for my battery tender for whichever bike I am not rifding. Just be sure to use a FUSE in the circuit :excl:

I also have the Gerbings G3 gloves & the Gerbings jacket liner has stowable connectors on the bottom of the sleves for the gloves. Currently, I have a single controller, which I have listed on the GEAR FOR SALE forum. With the gloves, I'd prefer to have a dual controller.

Like everyone else, I can't believe I rode in the cold for so long w/o heated gear. :blink:

Riding warm is riding safe.

• 9 months later...
Guest Recalcitrance

Gerbing's gear here and yeah, I'm hooked up from battery with lead coming out of the seat on the left side. There's plenty of room to tuck in the excess cordage either beneath the seat or along the fairing. Either way, it's not difficult.

Gerbings Jacket liner, gloves and socks. Connected to the battery, ran the wire between the seat and tank. Clip the dual controller to my tank bag. Then just plug into the jacket. Did about 200 miles yesterday in the upper 30's, stopped for dinner on the way home and then finished the last 30 miles ranging between 25-27 deg F. I can't believe I rode in the cold for so long w/o heated gear. I stayed very warm, when I get the chance...I want to see how much colder I can go with the gear.

Archived