VFR1200 tire comparision

keny

Well a local mag did a durability test of a VFR1200, 50k Kms from spring 2010 to August 2010. Thye ofcorse did use some tires, and in last number they have a writeup of how the tires perfomed and held up. The contenders were oem Dunlop RoadSmarts, Mich. PR2, Metz. M5, Mich PPure, Bridg. BT021s and a set of Shinko 010Apex.

I have to read it more to do a writeup, but will do it if here is intrest of it?

HS did a seat of the pants review Pr2 outlasted road smarts by 2k miles and out performed them in the twisties too

How about in the wet?

The Road 2 is an excellent wet tire! :fing02:

HS did a seat of the pants review Pr2 outlasted road smarts by 2k miles and out performed them in the twisties too

How about in the wet?

The Road 2 is an excellent wet tire! :fing02:

Yep. Ran through a set of Roadsmarts on my last VFR and had PR2s on the K12RS and the FZ6. PR2s are fantastic tires. The best sporttouring tire i've ever used.

Very interested, please post a link. Google Translate works wonders.

Sadly dont have a link to a site, just a mag in my hand.

But here shortly what they say about the tires and the milage they did on them.

As the tires were used under diffrent time and condission the milage can not be straing compared to each other.

-Dunlop RoadSmart (oem tire)

Used first.

This tire wer used under the frist month from late Marz to lathe April. The candission were lew temps so the tires newer really did go to normal working temps and also the tarmac was rough from the winter (Cars use studded tires during winter in Finland). This is the biggest couse of the high wear on the tires. They were ~4900km under the bike, and rear had lost rubber so tread dep wes down to 2mm from 6mm, and whit same wear rate could had lasted ~6100km. Front could had lasted for ~12200km.

Judge was a good sporttuoring tire whit balanseed behavor both on wet and dry. Turnin was good and it was stabile. Milage was a bit disapointing, but the cold temps and rough roads did wear the tires faster. Were take of becorse a trip to Europe was ahed.

-Michelin PiloteRoad2

Second set on the test bike and used from late April to early June, totally ~14200km. Rear was down to 2,8mm tread teep from 6,7mm and could have lasted whit same wear rate ~20800km. Front was down at 1,0mm from 4mm, and the reason the set was taken of the bike. The PR2 made the bike feel sportier and beawor was werry good in all condissions , as was grip werry good, both wet and dry. Untill 10000km the rear tire hold a nice round profile, at the end it had a flat spot in middle. Also both(front and rear) had cuping on the should as taken of the bike. Was the moast recomended tire of all that was on the bike.

-Metzeler Sportec M5

Third set on the bike and on the bike from early June to late June.

Was on the bike for ~3800km. Rear was down 3,3mm from 6mm, and would have lasted ~7000km whit same wear rate. Front would had lasted ~8500km.

First soprt tire, manly put on as Metzelers new Z8 was not yet awable in the 190/55 rear size.

This tire made the VFR feel even sportier. In street use the grip was so good that the limit was never found. Made the tighter twist rideing far easyer on these tires. The only bad thisng was the wear rate.

-Michelin Power Pure

4th set on the VFR. was under the bike from late June to early July (for 6 day in fact!)

During that time the bike was riddin down from Finland to Spain, ~7200km! During that time the rear was down to 2,4mm from 5,7 and would have last ~10200km. Front would have lasted ~12500km. The rear had a flat spot becors of mutch higwat use.

The PowerPure was chosen for to se how ta werry light tire differ the behawur of the VFR. The tire was newer ridden inwet condision, so that is a unprowen thing. Dry it had great grip. The tires turnin was so good it almost felt unstable at bigger roads at higher speed. Also the low weight had a disanvanted in touring at higher speed on bigger road, it made keeping stable speed hard.

(I do wounder why they put on a sport tire for a long trip, sertanly not the best chose) The milage, for a sport tire, was a positive suprise.

-Bridgestone BT021

5th set on bike , was on the bike fom early July to late July for ~12300km. The rear had then 3,6mm tread left from news 6,2mm, and would had lasted for ~24500km. Front would have lasted ~26400km. The VFR felt slow in turnin compared to the fromer PPure. But it was also mutch more stabel, and the driver could also enjoy the wiews whit this tire. Dry grip was good, but wet grip was not so good, and as weather changed the grip was werry uneven and hard to feel when it let go. Milage was exelen thro. Moast even worn Front-Rear combo.

-Shinko 010 Apex.

Used from late July to early Agust. This tires were under the bike for only ~3300km. rear was then down to 3,2mm from 4,9mm and would had lasted ~7600km. front would have lasted ~13300km. The tire has sharp turnin and werry good dry grip. In wet the grip is poor, speshally the rear tires. It slips werry easy on road paintings and joints in the wet. Were changed for a nother set before a longer trip.

The last milage was ridden on a nother set of BT021.

• 2 years later...

old post, but

I just picked up a set of the Road Pilot 3 for my VFR1200 and I can already tell the difference. night and day to the RoadSmart I had on there oem. it feels like a 600cc in the twisty, I wish I had done it earlier.

Archived