Dremel - your thoughts plse!

TexOz

• Member Contributer

You didn't say what kind of jewelry. If it involves wet grinding or drilling, a cordless has the advantage of not being plugged into the wall - I've used one in a tray of water. An extension shaft will help keep a cord model away from the water, but the cordless is still safer.

Glenn

Edited: My personal Dremel is a plug-in, though, and Elizilla is right. If you need a Dremel, there's no substitute.

... but because she's busy with her jewelry making and God knows what else and "needs" some of the utility attachments it's apparently suddenly okay to spend the $s!! :dry:

• Member Contributer

I have an actual Dremel and a Kawasaki multi tool (It's kwak green and came with a toolbox full of attachments 250 I think it was) Both are corded and they both work great, no functional differences between them really...the funny thing is the Kawasaki version was $29.00...the real Dremel was about $150.00.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

The Minister for Everything has decided she wants a Dremel in the house :cheerleader:

It would never have worked if I'd said I'd wanted one for general home maintenance (and for working on my Viffer :wink: ) but because she's busy with her jewelry making and God knows what else and "needs" some of the utility attachments it's apparently suddenly okay to spend the $s!! :dry:

Anyway, to my question, who likes what configuration? Cordless or not? 300 series or 400 series? Any other Dremel advice welcome! :happy:

Thx in advance ladies and gents!

Dremel 400 Series is an invaluable for cutting precisely and in small confined areas

Kevin in Atlanta

PS I like the mower blade attachment

i have this one http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/RotaryToolKits/PRD~0544788P/Dremel%252B400%252BSeries%252BRotary%252BTool%252BKit.jsp?locale=en

Dremel 400 Series Rotary Tool Kit

2.0A

Variable speed: 5,000 to 35,000 rpm

High-performance rotary tool kit

Features three attachments and 55 accessories in their own integrated storage area

get a kit that has a lot of the stuff you would end up buying anyways.

Terry, I've had a Li cordless Dremel for eight years and it's still going strong, yes it does run out of grunt sometimes but usually I find that it's because I'm asking too much of it. I have a couple of 4" angle grinders, a bench grinder and a few corded and cordless drills that fill the gap.

Great tool! Someone mentioned getting reinforced cut-off wheels, I just fit two at a time and find that I rarely break them when I do this.

Haven't got a flexi extension but it's on the 'to buy' list.

• Member Contributer

The quick change chuck is a must.

I'd hit of flee markets or garage sales. I bought an older all black model 8 or so years ago and it still works like new and the bushes aren't even half worn. I can't justify the new models price unless you can get a good deal or a bunch of accessories with it.

The quick change chuck is a must.

I'd hit of flee markets or garage sales. I bought an older all black model 8 or so years ago and it still works like new and the bushes aren't even half worn. I can't justify the new models price unless you can get a good deal or a bunch of accessories with it.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120630444685?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I've had my corded M395 for close to 20 yrs, still going strong... did need to open up the case to get vari-speed switch to work right at some point tho'.

Have a cordless a friend gave me, but found it lacking... been sittin' in a drawer for at least a decade.

My favorite add-on is definitely the work station, drill press accessory.

For precision mill and drill sort of work sans machine tools it's hard to beat!

Makes a great cut-off saw in horizontal position with reinforced wheels... found some on Ebay $25/100.

Last 4 'Customer Pics' here are mine:

http://www.amazon.co...92152823&sr=1-1

Archived