Rider to Passenger communications

Hi all The wifey wants to me to get some communications going between us when we ride, besides the usual headbutt for going too fast. I was looking at the Scala Rider Q2. Chatterbox looks good too but a bit more expensive. Anyone use Bluetooth or some other sort of rider to passenger coms?

Thanks!

Jim

Hi all The wifey wants to me to get some communications going between us when we ride, besides the usual headbutt for going too fast. I was looking at the Scala Rider Q2. Chatterbox looks good too but a bit more expensive. Anyone use Bluetooth or some other sort of rider to passenger coms?

Thanks!

Jim

Been doing more research lately on this as well.... I am personally leaning towards the Chatterbox GMRS X1 Bluetooth. Only because if I am going to spend $200+ on a communication device, then I want all the bells and whistles, just in case. Can pair ipod and phone at same time. Will probably never use phone, but having the option is nice. I don't just ride motorcycles, so on trails 4 wheeling and buggies, it's nice to have all options. My parents have this system and love it. Battery life is good, waterproof, multiple channels, psh to talk is on the unit and you can control the ipod thru the buttons on the unit as well: Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), .........supposedly...........

Thanks!

Jim

Been doing more research lately on this as well.... I am personally leaning towards the Chatterbox GMRS X1 Bluetooth. Only because if I am going to spend $200+ on a communication device, then I want all the bells and whistles, just in case. Can pair ipod and phone at same time. Will probably never use phone, but having the option is nice. I don't just ride motorcycles, so on trails 4 wheeling and buggies, it's nice to have all options. My parents have this system and love it. Battery life is good, waterproof, multiple channels, psh to talk is on the unit and you can control the ipod thru the buttons on the unit as well (A2DP), .........supposedly...........

Yeah Scala has a multiset with everything as well. Phone and MP3 connectivity...The guy at Roadgear recommended the Scala. He has a set and uses it as well. I'll end up using the phone when I ride when I'm on call, I can answer tech questions! Thanks. I'll check out the range on the chatterbox too.

Jimbo

My wife and I use a Sena SMH10. I did a lot of research before buying and most people I'd talk to were disappointed with the Scala. I've used the BlueAnt headset before and the clarity was very good. I read many reviews (the one from webbikeworld was very usefull) and settled on the Sena. It's stereo, voice activated, can communicate with up to three other people, my wife and I can each liste to different music, etc.

Great little device at a very reasonable price.

My wife and I use a Sena SMH10. I did a lot of research before buying and most people I'd talk to were disappointed with the Scala. I've used the BlueAnt headset before and the clarity was very good. I read many reviews (the one from webbikeworld was very usefull) and settled on the Sena. It's stereo, voice activated, can communicate with up to three other people, my wife and I can each liste to different music, etc.

Great little device at a very reasonable price.

Sena? Never heard of it. I'll check that one out too!

Thanks!

Sena? Never heard of it. I'll check that one out too!

Thanks!

I had never heard of it either before, but every review I read was positive, so I decided to try my luck... I've had two of them since April and they've worked perfectly since then.

• Member Contributer

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. :pissed:

My friend bought headsets for his father. After 3000 miles on the road he came home tossed my friend the set and said "IF I WANTED TO LISTEN TO HER TALK, I WOULD HAVE DRIVEN A CAR". :pissed:

• Member Contributer

I've been using the Scala Rider Q2 for a couple of years now, and now also have the G4 unit. Just took a 3,400 mile trip. I had three-way intercom communications with my wife on the back and my brother on another bike. We could all talk to each other at the same time. It worked very well. I also had my cell phone paired so I could take calls (or reject them) while riding. Worked great, clear as a bell, and the caller had no idea I was on a motorcycle. Only thing I don't like is that if I have the three-way intercom going, I can either have my phone or my satellite radio (or MP3 player) paired at the same time, but not both. No real biggie, but it would be nice to have it all. Since the G4 (stereo) version came out, I've seen the Q2 set at a deeply discounted price. I've never used any other similar device, just the Scala Rider Q2 and G4, so I don't have any comparison to offer. All I can say is that the Scala Rider stuff works well. And patches and enhancements can be downlodaed right to the unit (only system available with this feature).

I've been using the Scala Rider Q2 for a couple of years now, and now also have the G4 unit. Just took a 3,400 mile trip. I had three-way intercom communications with my wife on the back and my brother on another bike. We could all talk to each other at the same time. It worked very well. I also had my cell phone paired so I could take calls (or reject them) while riding. Worked great, clear as a bell, and the caller had no idea I was on a motorcycle. Only thing I don't like is that if I have the three-way intercom going, I can either have my phone or my satellite radio (or MP3 player) paired at the same time, but not both. No real biggie, but it would be nice to have it all. Since the G4 (stereo) version came out, I've seen the Q2 set at a deeply discounted price. I've never used any other similar device, just the Scala Rider Q2 and G4, so I don't have any comparison to offer. All I can say is that the Scala Rider stuff works well. And patches and enhancements can be downlodaed right to the unit. (only system available with this feature).

Yeah I saw the discounted prices. That's cool I have heard good things too.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Been using the Sena for about two months now - really happy with it!

Go with the SENA, One big plus, it will pair with a Garmin NUVI automotive GPS, not just the ZUMO motorcycle specific models. So you can use a GPS that's substantially cheaper. I bought mine from Adam at the Group Buy over here

• Member Contributer

+1 for the Sena. I have mine paired to my Nuvi 765t for guidance and music OR my IPhone for music and phone and GPS from the phone. Once you get the speakers placed right, it's plenty loud and you can also recharge them while riding. That comes in handy when you're on a multi-day camping trip with no electricity to recharge them.

Yellowfuzz

• Member Contributer

I'll add my +1 for the Cardo Q2 Teamset. It allows my wife and I to talk, allows me to hear the Zumo tell me where to go, and it can even let me take/make phone calls. I love it.

If you look around, you can probably find it marked down, now that the G4 has been out for a while.

• Member Contributer

I have three Autocom sets and just removed the one from my primary bike.

I replaced it with a Scala G4 system and will be adding a second pair fo G4 blue tooth coms.

For a simple rider to passenger com system the Autocom is hard to beat but leaves a bit to be desired in the addition of other input items....example, gps, radar detector, phone etc...

I had a chatterbox for almost a week, it took me 5 days to get back to where i bought so i could get a refund. I found the chatterbox to be useless at speeds in excess of 45-50mph....i rarely travel at speeds below that.

the autocom however is good at triple digits....

I want to mod my G4 to use Big Ear plugs/speakers in place of the helmet mounted speakers but i would look at the Q2 or G4 from Scala and see if the features encompass enough of what you want in a com system.

or let me knwo and I will make you a killer deal on an autocom box.... :biggrin:

let us know what you go with and how you rate it's performance.

• Member Contributer

I want to mod my G4 to use Big Ear plugs/speakers in place of the helmet mounted speakers but i would look at the Q2 or G4 from Scala and see if the features encompass enough of what you want in a com system.

Sounds like a good idea. How do you envision configuring them so it wouldn't be a hassle getting the speakers in your ears and then the helmet on?

Sounds like a good idea. How do you envision configuring them so it wouldn't be a hassle getting the speakers in your ears and then the helmet on?

I've talked to Keith about this in the past. Basically you would have to cut off the in helmet speakers and use those wire to add a 3.5 mm stereo socket. You would have to put the stereo plugs in your ears, plug the cord into the socket on the helmet, then put the helmet on. The cord can either be a 50" or 18". The longer one would probably allow more flexibility for other things (using with a laptop, MP3 player, etc). You could tuck the cord into your jacket and zip it up once you have the helmet on.

Either way, the stereo plugs have to go in your ears, then the helmet goes on. I'm not sure it is any more of a hassle than wearing ear plugs.

• Member Contributer

I've talked to Keith about this in the past. Basically you would have to cut off the in helmet speakers and use those wire to add a 3.5 mm stereo socket. You would have to put the stereo plugs in your ears, plug the cord into the socket on the helmet, then put the helmet on. The cord can either be a 50" or 18". The longer one would probably allow more flexibility for other things (using with a laptop, MP3 player, etc). You could tuck the cord into your jacket and zip it up once you have the helmet on.

Either way, the stereo plugs have to go in your ears, then the helmet goes on. I'm not sure it is any more of a hassle than wearing ear plugs.

That works for me. Will you be doing this soon? I'd like to hear how it comes out.

That works for me. Will you be doing this soon? I'd like to hear how it comes out.

As soon as we can get Keith off his wallet and order some stereo plugs. Then cut up the wires of his brand new communication system. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

As soon as we can get Keith off his wallet and order some stereo plugs. Then cut up the wires of his brand new communication system. :goofy:

I hadn't thought of the longer cords to make the connection in the jacket. I have been looking at it quite a bit and think a stick on holder similar to this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103488 to attach the 3.5mm stereo jack to the back of the helmet then it is just an awkward reach around to plug the speakers in after donning your helmet...and I am waiting on Ken to announce a special so I can order the ear plugs/speakers and cut up my new comm system...

I should just drop my Scala G4 off with will and have him wire in the 3.5 mm jack because I get a little bit of cold feet when I think about doing that part myself...I would rather pull the swingarm and replace the shock. :biggrin:

I hadn't thought of the longer cords to make the connection in the jacket. I have been looking at it quite a bit and think a stick on holder similar to this http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103488 to attach the 3.5mm stereo jack to the back of the helmet then it is just an awkward reach around to plug the speakers in after donning your helmet...and I am waiting on Ken to announce a special so I can order the ear plugs/speakers and cut up my new comm system...

I should just drop my Scala G4 off with will and have him wire in the 3.5 mm jack because I get a little bit of cold feet when I think about doing that part myself...I would rather pull the swingarm and replace the shock. :biggrin:

Get the plug done if you are serious. I have some generic stereo plugs you could give a test ride with to see if you like it before ordering the custom plugs too. Once you figure out it works and really want them, the price will go up. :laughing6-hehe:

You could always get Will to put the plug on the helmet speakers too so if you don't have your custom ones for a while, you can just plug the helmet speakers into the socket and continue to use the system. :idea3:

• Member Contributer

I hadn't thought of the longer cords to make the connection in the jacket. I have been looking at it quite a bit and think a stick on holder similar to this http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103488 to attach the 3.5mm stereo jack to the back of the helmet then it is just an awkward reach around to plug the speakers in after donning your helmet...and I am waiting on Ken to announce a special so I can order the ear plugs/speakers and cut up my new comm system...

Get the plug done if you are serious. I have some generic stereo plugs you could give a test ride with to see if you like it before ordering the custom plugs too. Once you figure out it works and really want them, the price will go up. :laughing6-hehe:

You could always get Will to put the plug on the helmet speakers too so if you don't have your custom ones for a while, you can just plug the helmet speakers into the socket and continue to use the system. :idea3:

Now yer thinking....

• Member Contributer

The Sena SMH10 headset and intercom system has the option to use your own earbuds/earphones instead of the speakers inside your helmet. In order to do it, you have to order an extra helmet clamp kit for $40. Then you don't have to cut wires on a $200 headset just to see if it works. Just my 2 cents.

I've been researching intercom systems lately to buy so I can commicate with my fiance while we ride. (I think she just wants to yell at me when I take a corner too fast) I like the certain functions of the Scala 4 system, but the people really like the Senas. I'm leaning towards the Sena and found them for $270 a pair online at Amazon.

• Member Contributer

As posted earlier, I have both the Scala Rider Q2 and G4 units and like them very much. But I must say, now that I know about and have looked at the Sena system, it has an awful lot to offer! Now if they only worked with each other I could have both!

Since I only ride solo, I was wondering more about bike to bike communication. Besides the one already mentioned, any others tried something along those lines?

Brian

Archived