Road Surface

VFRocker

I've ridden on a lot of different road surfaces and conditions but got on something I would advise everyone avoid even if you have to backtrack to get around it. I was just out enjoying the great weather we're having and ended up back at a major route that would take me home.. The problem was the DOT had ground the concrete surface to prep for a new asphalt surface. I figured it would be no problem since I only had about 6 miles back to town and the road was open to normal traffic. I knew in the first mile that was probably a bad choice. It was impossible to follow the grinding grooves and my bike felt like it was sliding in and out of the grooves even at a reduced speed I was at. It just didn't feel like I had control of my direction and a stiff cross wind didn't help. I got off at a blacktop county road after about 3 miles and took a long way back home. I don't think I did any serious damage but did find some cuts on my tires when I inspected them after I put the bike away that I'm sure are from the sharp edges in the surface. I'll have to take a closer look in the morning they don't look like they're too deep but I might not have seen all of them. :angry: I'm definitely avoiding that type of surface from now on and would recommend the same for any other bikers.:mellow:

What kind of tyres do you have? (not that it has anything to do with the cuts) most tyres any more have a pattern(sypes) that run across the tyre side-to-side, but some have the centre sype running around with the flow of the tyre, these track like crap on rain groves or in your case, scrapping grooves.

I've ridden on a lot of different road surfaces and conditions but got on something I would advise everyone avoid even if you have to backtrack to get around it. I was just out enjoying the great weather we're having and ended up back at a major route that would take me home.. The problem was the DOT had ground the concrete surface to prep for a new asphalt surface. I figured it would be no problem since I only had about 6 miles back to town and the road was open to normal traffic. I knew in the first mile that was probably a bad choice. It was impossible to follow the grinding grooves and my bike felt like it was sliding in and out of the grooves even at a reduced speed I was at. It just didn't feel like I had control of my direction and a stiff cross wind didn't help. I got off at a blacktop county road after about 3 miles and took a long way back home. I don't think I did any serious damage but did find some cuts on my tires when I inspected them after I put the bike away that I'm sure are from the sharp edges in the surface. I'll have to take a closer look in the morning they don't look like they're too deep but I might not have seen all of them. :angry: I'm definitely avoiding that type of surface from now on and would recommend the same for any other bikers.:mellow:

lots of road construction in my area this summer, and I uturned becuse of too harsh of road debri to protect my tires, I especially dont like seeing quarts in road resurface projects. cuts like diamonds

• Member Contributer

I find that surface uneverving also. I had to deal with it for a six week resurfacing project on my daily commute through North Baton Rouge on Hwy 61 last year. I eventually got the hang of it.

you also get the added "bonus" of cars in front tossing loads of debris at you...or the tards rolling up on (and sometimes around) you like a bat out of hell.

Glad you and the bike made it through safely.

Had to ride on stuff like that a ton around here as they repaved the highways. The part I hate the most is it is like being in a sandblasting cabnit. It eats visors for breakfast. Sucks when you are limited to 1 or 2 roads to get to work and they are ground down for months. Or the 2 to 3 inch lip when they start to repave one lane at a time.

• Member Contributer

It's called pavement milling and they do it frequently here in Texas. In fact they've been milling just the curves around here and not repaving them because cars weren't getting enough traction when it rained. :pissed:

PavementMilling.jpg

Dutchinterceptor that's exactly the fun road surface I got on!!! I can't believe they'd leave it like that for traction in curves. Might work for four wheels but sucks for two. I'm glad I didn't have any curves to get through before I got off the short stretch I took. I would have felt totally unbalanced trying to lean in the curve while feeling like I was sliding around and then catching on a groove, I've done that on slippery asphalt. Didn't find very many cuts on the tires and they aren't deep so should be good as I wear them down. :fing02:

Archived