Improve handling for $70

mikeodial

Just installed the Gripster Snake Skin pads on my new to me 6th Generation. I had used the Stomp Pad on my previous ride, but went for the Gripster on my VFR.

They really work nicely, easier to grap with the knees when you need them, and faster and easier to change position than the Stomp pads. I was really impressed how they look on the bike.

post-8126-067041000 1282398074_thumb.jpg

post-8126-081300700 1282398137_thumb.jpg

post-8126-008233100 1282398224_thumb.jpg

post-8126-073782500 1282398277_thumb.jpg

Wish I'd found these before I shelled out $130 for the ST1300 pads. I like them, but for less than half the price, the Gripsters would have worked fine.

4758063473_4513760a6b.jpg

I've been on the fence about these for quite some time. I love the idea of extra grip, but I'm very turned off to the idea of putting a "sticker" on my bike.

Would love to hear some long term reports from people that have had them for 2-3 years or more.

I hate those things. They make the bike ugly IMHO.

However it's almost like airbags or abs. You might not like them or need them until that day when, BAM. I havent needed the abs on my truck in 5 years. Yesterday while going to and from lunch, ABS saved my ass from stupid drivers twice in 10 minutes.

I have had my knee slip off twice while my other knee was on the track. When this happens all the weight goes to the knee on the pavement side and you have to pull your self up with the bars, adding steering input, NOT GOOD.

Thanks for sharing, I need to think of adding these.

However it's almost like airbags or abs. You might not like them or need them until that day when, BAM. I havent needed the abs on my truck in 5 years. Yesterday while going to and from lunch, ABS saved my ass from stupid drivers twice in 10 minutes.

I have had my knee slip off twice while my other knee was on the track. When this happens all the weight goes to the knee on the pavement side and you have to pull your self up with the bars, adding steering input, NOT GOOD.

The pictures don't really do them justice. The Gripsters really look good, the last picture shows them as most will see them. If you really want ugly get the Stomp Pads, I had them on my beemer, they worked really well, but will eat up your leathers pretty fast, and "hurt" you if you have jeans or light pants of any description on.

For my limited track experience, the stomps are better, you will not come unglued, but neither will they. Can't reapply them like the Gripsters (which I had to do during my first install) Can I tell right from left?

The pictures don't really do them justice. The Gripsters really look good, the last picture shows them as most will see them. If you really want ugly get the Stomp Pads, I had them on my beemer, they worked really well, but will eat up your leathers pretty fast, and "hurt" you if you have jeans or light pants of any description on.

For my limited track experience, the stomps are better, you will not come unglued, but neither will they. Can't reapply them like the Gripsters (which I had to do during my first install) Can I tell right from left?

I agree as far as looks they are not too bad, I just love the solid red tank though.

I wouldnt put stomp grips on my lawn mower, ugliest product ever. I would glue a piece of leather to the tank before using that stuff.

As a benefit the grips willl cover scratches from leathers and pants on the tank.

I may of missed it, are the magnetic? You say you removed them.

EDIT> On second thought and looking at your pics they would probably look great on my blacked out red. My rads are black as well and it would probably flow well.

Tnanks, now I need to spend more money on my bike. My wife hates you, LOL.

I use the Stompgrip on my track bike but as someone else pointed out I think they take away from the look on a streetbike. If you REALLY need those then either a) you have poor technique or b) you are riding too fast on public roads. I've never found a need for any and I ride roads like the Cherohala Skyway, the GA "Loop", and US 129 (Dragon's Tail) all the time.

I agree as far as looks they are not too bad, I just love the solid red tank though.

I wouldnt put stomp grips on my lawn mower, ugliest product ever. I would glue a piece of leather to the tank before using that stuff.

As a benefit the grips willl cover scratches from leathers and pants on the tank.

I may of missed it, are the magnetic? You say you removed them.

EDIT> On second thought and looking at your pics they would probably look great on my blacked out red. My rads are black as well and it would probably flow well.

Tnanks, now I need to spend more money on my bike. My wife hates you, LOL.

They can be removed carefully and restuck. Just ensure you have use alcohol to thoroughly clean the surface and let it dry off. (Of the bike ;-)

• 7 months later...

They can be removed carefully and restuck. Just ensure you have use alcohol to thoroughly clean the surface and let it dry off. (Of the bike ;-)

Actually, Dont let it dry.

Proper prep for paint or adhesion, you want to wipe wih alcohol and follow it with a clean dry rag before it dries.

Im curious about these grips, but being a new rider I do not get over far enough to need them (yet) ;-)

-Drew

Archived