Fork Air Gap Setting

93 VFR750 RC36

Gang,

I'm just putting in a set of Racetech 0.95 springs in replacement of the 54,000 mile stock ones. I've heard a common rule of thumb on air gap as 150mm (6") where the manual says something like 178mm (7").

I'm assuming that the 6" rule of thumb is to increase the progressive "spring" effect of the air gap to make up for the soft stock springs.

With the 0.95 springs (I weigh 210lbs/98kg) should I go back to the 7" air gap and let the springs do their thing now that they're a much better match to my weight?

I've also installed a set of CBR 600 F3 internals to give me adjustable rebound. What's a good starting point for rebound setting for someone of my weight doing spirited twisty road riding?

All advice and ridicule welcome as usual,

Stew

Stew, personally, I would use the stock air gap, and try it out. I feel it's easier to add some oil after the forks are back on the bike, than it would be to try to remove excess. Also, you're correct in your assumption about smaller vs larger air gap.

To set the rebound, set it all the way to one extreme, and go ride a 5-10 mile loop. Then set it to the other extreme and repeat the same 5-10 mile loop. After that, set it where you like it!

• Member Contributer

I set the air gap in VFR forks to a level much higher than stock. In fact, I often go as much as 120mm. The additional fluid helps prevent bottoming but otherwise does not contribute much to the overall feel or performance of the forks.

As for the rebound setting, you need to ride the bike and see what it's doing and make adjustments as necessary. The process that Seb is referring to is something I also suggest. The object is to determine which end of the spectrum is closer to optimum - that will be your starting point. Once you find that out you can make adjustments 1/2 turn at a time until you feel no change, then go back to the previous setting.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, I'll just work up as required.

Jamie,

Your shock is in and I hope to be back on the road by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it rides.

Cheers,

Stew

Archived