Tire mounted wrong direction

VFRMike

• Member Contributer

Just got the rear wheel home from a local dealer putting on a new tire (another PR-2) and noticed it was put on the wrong direction. That is, the arrow is pointing counter-clockwise opposite the direction of forward rotation. Obviously they need to fix the problem but I am wondering whether they will also need to rebalance the tire. In the other (3) posts regarding tires being mounted backwards there is no mention of needing to rebalance.

Oh, while I've got your attention...they put the BRIGHT silver sticky magnets on both sides of the wheel because, they say, the weights that have typically been used in the middle of the rim are no longer allowed. Something about a new law starting Jan 2010 regarding lead not being able to be used anymore for wheel balancing. Even addded that there is a $10,000 fine for using them. Looks terrible with those metal blocks on both sides of the rim of that beautiful single-sidded swingarm we all love so much. I tried coloring them with a black permanant marker and didn't look that much better. Will try painting them black but this seems rather pathetic. Anyone else heard of this "new law"? or am I being mis-led?

VFRMike.

Do you mean the tire has the 'v' facing away from the direction of rotation? The treads on the PR2s face in opposite directions to each other. I just changed mine today and had to check again since it didn't look right. Check the arrows on the tire if they are facing the direction of travel then you're good to go. If not, then it needs to be removed and rebalanced.

Not sure about that law. Maybe it's specific to your location. Haven't heard anything about that here.

• Member Contributer

I'd want the wheel rebalanced for sure. Ask them if they have any black weights cause they're available but may not be in stock. I use the black stick-ons but I put them right next to the center ridge or hide them inside the spokes if they balance there.

Haven't heard of this supposed new law yet.

It's true about lead not being allowed much (if any) longer. Those stick on weights are ugly, fly off too easily and leave a nasty residue on the wheel...it's Dynabeads for me!

California has laws against lead in about everything. It was only a matter of time before it affected wheel weights. Because of California's proposed ban (and Washington's passed ban) the cost of lead weights is going up in Kansas... (http://www.leadfreewheels.org/) and lead weights are getting harder to find.

I have silver colored weights and use a black magic marker to help them blend in.

Yes, your tire rotation needs corrected. Yes, your wheel will need re-balanced when the tire rotation is corrected.

Reminds me of a situation years ago with my Hurricane... I told the service advisor, "The speedo drive is on the left side." He replied, "I'll put my best man on it." The wheel came back mounted backwards. They fixed it and my business never went back there.... and I let them know about it.

• Member Contributer

It's true about lead not being allowed much (if any) longer. Those stick on weights are ugly, fly off too easily and leave a nasty residue on the wheel...it's Dynabeads for me!

+1 !!! :cheerleader:

I've used Dynabeads in my last three pairs of tires. The results are eerily smooth, and I haven't had any cupping or uneven tread wear so far, either. I highly recommend. Not that expensive for a bike, although the kids for larger tires (car, truck) start to get pricey.

Archived