Big Ear

YoshiHNS

• Member Contributer

So at TMAC, I decided to take the jump and get the Big Ear plugs. After using them for a few weeks now, I am very satisfied with them. But alas, this may not be enough to convince most people, so I am writing a comparison column between foamies and custom.

DSCF0379.jpg

BUYING THE PLUGS

So, first thing you gotta do is go out and get 'em. With the foamies, it's absolutely easy. Just run out to pretty much any building with a roof and that carries hammers, and you're likely to find them for sale.

Custom plugs, not so easy. First, you have to go in their website and click on the button called "Find Us". You are then greeted with the event schedule. Scroll through the list and notice that they seem to get out less than those fuzzy slippers your SO got you for christmas. Then you realize you're an idiot, and click the OTHER button labeled Providers, find someone near you, and get either the plugs made then and there, or the impression made and send it to Big Ear to get made.

WINNER: Foamies

(DISCLAIMER: not responsible for individuals wandering into other individual's man cave's)

COST

Big reason most people stick with the foamies is cost. If you get them at Lowes or some hardware store, you'll be paying a pretty penny for that box of 20 pairs or so. Call it $10-$20 for a box of them at major stores. If you get a discount (TMAC), the Big Ear's cost only $70. Normally they're $85. Quite a bit more than the foamies. But how much more are you paying? For $90, you can buy 600 foamies from Grainger. That's enough to almost last two years! If we actually break it down, with a pair being used for an entire day, and the average person using them 4 days per week, they would last you almost three years! That's four times the ownership timespan of the bikes in Skuuter's garage! Though, once you buy a set of Big Ear's, you won't need to buy another set for at least that long.

WINNER: Foamies

CONVENIENCE

This is actually a difficult one. Both are fairly easy to carry around with you. While the foamies generally come in packages of two plugs, that doesn't do you much good once you've opened the package. Then you have to be sure that you put them in a pocket that didn't have your visor wipe in them lest you like the feeling of gnats in your ears. The Big Ear plugs come with a carrying case that protects them from the filth of your pockets. However, the container is a bit larger than it needs be, though it isn't as bad as carrying Spies' keychains around.

WINNER: Big Ear

USAGE

Everyone knows how to use the foamies. Take 'em out. Roll the tips between your fingers. Brush the hair out of your ears (If you're a hippy). Insert straight in. Wait. Wait some more. Perhaps put some coffee up while you wait for them to expand. After you had your coffee, carefully put your helmet on to be sure not to brush them out. Find one of them isn't fitting right. Take the helmet off. Find out you're out of coffee. Run to the store, get some more...so on, so on.

The Big Ear's aren't exactly a piece of cake to get in the first few times, but once you learn the ways of the masters, you'll have them in before your SO yells at you for going for a ride. And once they're in, they stay in. Only by opening my jaw all the way do I get the slightest sound of the seal breaking, but it immediately goes away as soon as I close my trap and stop eating flies. Generally speaking, both plugs will block the same amount of sound, although the custom plugs may work slightly better.

COMFORT

The biggest reason for getting custom plugs. After 15 minutes on the bike, you'll forget about the foamies. But after 16 minutes, you'll remember them again. Riding with them for hours on end, it starts to feel like your dentist decided to get an early start on his Otologist certification. The Big Ears you feel for the first few minutes you put them in, and however long you decide to keep thinking about them and not the cute girl in the car ahead. They don't cause any pain or discomfort no matter how long you wear them. And since they don't stick out of your ears as much, any speakers in the helmet will fit better as well.

CLEANING/MAINTENANCE

Foamies are easy to maintain. Once you've used a set, throw them away and get another set. The Big Ear's don't require very much cleaning either. Every so often just rinse them off with water and some dish soap, dry them off, and they're good as new.

WINNER: TIE

CUSTOMIZATION

While the Big Ear plugs are technically fully custom, there's not a lot you can do to change them. You have a selection of colors of red, blue, beige, purple, black, and orange. That simply pails in comparison to the selection of foamies. Want flames on the sides of your plugs. DONE! Want a different color plug for your different moods? DONE! Want to confuse people about the shape of your ears by wearing octagonal shaped plugs? DONE!

SHARING

Well, you can't do it with the Big Ear's. Enough said. You can share with foamies, though you probably wouldn't want to. That be like lending someone your intestants after they had a burrito for lunch. Of course, most people who have foamies generally carry an extra set on them.

WINNER: TIE

THE WORD...

If you have the cash for it and wear ear plugs most of the time you're on the bike, or doing anything else that requires plugs, you should seriously consider getting the custom fit plugs. They are worth every penny of it. If you're only an occasional wearer or a communist who hates american industry, you might consider saving your money for a can of polish or some honda oil or whatnot and sticking to foamies.

Keep an eye out for a possible video review :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I suspect this will be a different strokes for different folks, an oil, chain lube, and favorite tire kinda thing, but my 2 cents is there is a lot of differences between the "foamies" out there. I had set out and tryed umteen different brands and styles and found that the Hearos Ultimate Softness series plugs is the way to go (at least for me). Comfort really isnt an issue and the NRR is 32 db. Yeah its takes a bit of practice to get a good sound seal on any foamie, it comes with the turf. $2.29 for 4 pair. For carrying around, I use a little plastic pill container thingy, good for storing the plugs while on a break. -----Since you doing the photo thingy..

plugitone.jpg

pillbox2.jpg

- BTW the Ear foamies seem to be less effective and the least comfortable.

--- Maybe fitted is a good way to go too, but I'm just cheap and good with the Hearos and the local drug store has an infinite supply. ----YRMV

Archived