Went to Crater Lake, Oregon (with Pic's)

• Member Contributer

Hey Guy's, my wife and I are planning a trip from Nor-Cal to Crater Lake, Oregon. Any places of interest to see on the way? Here is our proposed route, may deviate over to the Coast just a little but not sure. Were leaving on June 14th and returning on the 18th. Anyone want to meet up and show us around? Feel free to give advice on our route, it's not finalized yet.

Thanks.

See route below: :fing02:

I live in Klamath Falls but sadly will be in school over in Ashland those dates.

Whatever you do, don't follow the route you have outlined. The good news is that there are a lot of cool roads cutting east and west. I'd recommend getting over to the coast above San Franciso and making some turns inland and back to the coast. imho, an absolutely essential ride is Cal 96, the Klamath River Highway. Come out on I-5, go over the Siskiyous and take Oregon 66 from Ashland to Klamath Falls.

PM me, and I'll even get my map out and give you some great riding choices in Southern Oregon. Sorry I can't join you.

• Member Contributer

The only things I might add to this are that from the times I've visited Crater Lake from the Portland area were that I preferred circling the lake clockwise as it put me on the side of the road closer to the lake which gave better views and also didn't force me to cross traffic all day making left hand turns to stop at turn outs (and worry about gawking drivers behind me not stopping as I'm waiting to turn). The other is that the elevation there of 7,000+ feet means it can be cold almost any day of the year (though it may be very pleasant) so bring appropriate clothing, esp. if you don't have a heated vest, grips, etc. The lodge is a nice place for lunch / stretch out but not spectacular. IIRC there is a Nat'l Park admission fee, so don't be surprised by that. C/L is a great destination.

Great idea for a trip, crazybrother! Only thing is I'd detour at Red Bluff onto S.R. 36 (Antelope Blvd.) to Susanville then pick up S.R. 139 to S.R. 161 (State Line Rd.) and back to your original route. Circuitous and out of the way, yes, but it's all about riding, no? But, perhaps you have limited time for the trip. Just a thought. Just trying to keep you off of the superslab as much as possible.

Call park headquarters if you think you might want to ride the Rim Road, but I'll bet anything the road's closed and will be, probably into July due to snow. We've had a lot and a cold, wet spring. This also means you can't enter the park from the north.

You can still get into the park from the south and up to Rim Village, which has excellent views of the lake. The old Lodge is a great place for lunch or dinner.

So here's my final recommendation for a great trip: Ride up to Red Bluff on I-5, which will about kill you for boredom, but then take 36 to Fortuna and the coast. 36 is an incredible ride. You can stay in either Fortuna or Eureka. Then go a little farther north the next day and take 299 east to Willow Creek. Get gas there. Then 96 NNW to I-5, again, one of the best rides anywhere. Don't miss it. For lunch, you might stop at the store and deli in Klamath River. They have great sandwiches and a deck overlooking the river.

Then over to I-5 and up to Ashland. Ashland is home to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. A very nice town to visit, but expensive to stay there. You'll find cheaper motels a few miles north in Medford, or you can come over 66 to Klamath Falls, about an hour and a half, and another great ride.

You can get to Crater Lake from either Medford or Klamath Falls. The ride from Medford follows the Rogue River and is beautiful. It's a good riding road but likely to be some traffic. Not too much on a weekday this early in the season.

There are lots more good day rides in the area, but that should get you started. I'll be on my computer while you're here, so if you're looking for some more good riding, PM me and I can make some more suggestions.

Have fun.

• Member Contributer

I agree that you should stay off I5. I did the same trip several years ago from SoCal and took Hwy1 all the way up to Coos Bay then across to Crater Lake. The redwoods and the lost coast are a must see. Enjoy the ride and be safe.

• Member Contributer

Call park headquarters if you think you might want to ride the Rim Road, but I'll bet anything the road's closed and will be, probably into July due to snow. We've had a lot and a cold, wet spring. This also means you can't enter the park from the north.

You can still get into the park from the south and up to Rim Village, which has excellent views of the lake. The old Lodge is a great place for lunch or dinner.

So here's my final recommendation for a great trip: Ride up to Red Bluff on I-5, which will about kill you for boredom, but then take 36 to Fortuna and the coast. 36 is an incredible ride. You can stay in either Fortuna or Eureka. Then go a little farther north the next day and take 299 east to Willow Creek. Get gas there. Then 96 NNW to I-5, again, one of the best rides anywhere. Don't miss it. For lunch, you might stop at the store and deli in Klamath River. They have great sandwiches and a deck overlooking the river.

Then over to I-5 and up to Ashland. Ashland is home to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. A very nice town to visit, but expensive to stay there. You'll find cheaper motels a few miles north in Medford, or you can come over 66 to Klamath Falls, about an hour and a half, and another great ride.

You can get to Crater Lake from either Medford or Klamath Falls. The ride from Medford follows the Rogue River and is beautiful. It's a good riding road but likely to be some traffic. Not too much on a weekday this early in the season.

There are lots more good day rides in the area, but that should get you started. I'll be on my computer while you're here, so if you're looking for some more good riding, PM me and I can make some more suggestions.

Have fun.

This sounds like the route we'll take. I was also thinking about Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Eureka, then back to I-5.

Thanks for all the reply's.

• Forum CEO

We stayed with Flailer in Medford and he took us out to Crater Lake the next day, when we went. My buddy Dan, Veefer800canuke, his buddy Craig and I. There are some great roads along the way too. Most Notably was Skaggs Springs Roads from Stewarts point on the coast inland to Gyserville. wow, there are some great roads up there get off the interstate and ride that stuff its great motorcycling.

hwy 20 fort bragg to willits

hwy 36 from Fortuna and then 3 to Trinity area was good too. Then 3 all they way up to I-5 dont know if you want to go that far west though. I am sure there are good roads east of there too in the Sierras, Northern Cali is nice!

Depending on how much back-road riding you want to do, may I suggest the following route? It's one of the favorite roads in the Medford area, followed by a nice little section of road outside Roseburg, followed by a beautiful ride up the North Umpqua to Crater Lake. Then you can go back down the way your current route shows. As the 14th gets closer, I may by able to determine whether I can show you around; not sure. Either way, check this route out!

>>Click<<

• Member Contributer

Depending on how much back-road riding you want to do, may I suggest the following route? It's one of the favorite roads in the Medford area, followed by a nice little section of road outside Roseburg, followed by a beautiful ride up the North Umpqua to Crater Lake. Then you can go back down the way your current route shows. As the 14th gets closer, I may by able to determine whether I can show you around; not sure. Either way, check this route out!

>>Click<<

Hey Thanks for the idea. If you could join us that would be great, I'l keep the post updated as the week gets closer.

• Member Contributer

OK, were leaving tomorrow morning, should be in Eureka by Monday afternoon. Hope to see some other VFR's on the road :fing02:

OK, were leaving tomorrow morning, should be in Eureka by Monday afternoon. Hope to see some other VFR's on the road :fing02:

What fantastic weather you have! I hope to meet up with you for at least C-D-E-F of your Day 3 route! Calling any Grants Pass / Medford members!

• Member Contributer

Well, we finally made it back yesterday. Had a great trip, and awesome weather except when we were within 5 miles of Crater Lake. It started snowing pretty heavy, so we had to turn back for Medford. The route that we took was beautiful. All I can say about Hwy 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna is a bikers dream :laughing6-hehe: And the next day we took Hwy 299 to Willow Creek, then on the Weaverville. Then on Hwy 3 through Trinity Lake then on the Yreka (absolutely wonderful). Then on to Medford. The third day was our day trip to Crater Lake... Almost made it, what a gorgeous area to ride. Hope you guy's enjoy the Pic's.

Here are all the pic's:

Pictures

And a little video:

Here are just a few of my favorites:

DSC07749.jpg

DSC07737.jpg

DSC07721.jpg

DSC07719.jpg

DSC07718.jpg

DSC07716.jpg

DSC07715.jpg

DSC07714.jpg

DSC07712.jpg

DSC07709.jpg

DSC07707.jpg

DSC07703.jpg

DSC07696.jpg

DSC07689.jpg

DSC07686.jpg

DSC07683.jpg

DSC07674.jpg

DSC07672.jpg

DSC07667.jpg

DSC07664.jpg

DSC07658.jpg

DSC07657.jpg

DSC07639.jpg

DSC07632.jpg

DSC07631.jpg

DSC07629.jpg

DSC07627.jpg

DSC07620.jpg

DSC07618.jpg

DSC07615.jpg

DSC07607.jpg

DSC07605.jpg

DSC07603.jpg

DSC07601.jpg

DSC07593.jpg

DSC07583.jpg

DSC07566.jpg

DSC07565.jpg

DSC07561.jpg

DSC07563.jpg

DSC07559.jpg

DSC07557.jpg

DSC07552.jpg

• Member Contributer

OK here was the actual route that we took, as you can see we didn't make it all the way up to Crater Lake, the snow started to fall pretty heavy. So we had to turn back. :cool: Just means that we'll have to do it again sometime :blush:

Full Size

Archived