Getting rid of linked brakes on 6th gen

Jordan

So this thought came to me the other night: Why dont I get rid of the linked brake system on my VFR, and replace them with something much simpler; standard stainless brake lines.

Without actually planning this out, I dont think it would be that difficult. Would it be as easy as disconnecting the banjo bolts, and routing some stainless lines?

I dont have ABS on my 6th gen, but I want to upgrade my breaks, and paying 300 plus for a stainless steel set with all the little lines seems like it would be way more of a hassle. what do you guys think?

• Member Contributer

Jordan,

Simply adding SS lines won't eliminate the LBS system but will; however, improve your braking feel. You can search here and the interweb in general for ways to "de-link" the system as that subject has been around just about as long as LBS has. Basically, it's not as simple/easy as you'd think; especially on the 6gen.

You've got different hydraulic ratios to think about, and the stock master cylinders are sized the way they are for a reason.

You'd have to study the relationship of the piston areas and hydraulic ratios and find new master cylinders that will suit your de-linked setup better then the ones you have currently.

Honda definetly did some math there, and though simply rerouting the hoses will delink the brakes, it may cause them to perform in ways that you didn't anticipate.

So this thought came to me the other night: Why dont I get rid of the linked brake system on my VFR, and replace them with something much simpler; standard stainless brake lines.

Without actually planning this out, I dont think it would be that difficult. Would it be as easy as disconnecting the banjo bolts, and routing some stainless lines?

I dont have ABS on my 6th gen, but I want to upgrade my breaks, and paying 300 plus for a stainless steel set with all the little lines seems like it would be way more of a hassle. what do you guys think?

I only use 1 finger on the front brake and find them to be pretty strong brakes. Enough to where I'd never have the inclination to go your route.

But delinking, atleast if operating as designed, you'll get weaker brakes, cause it wont be getting the linked effect, which is more stopping power.

Hows your fluid bleeding and flushing over the bikes life been?

Edited by spud786

If you do delink the the brakes. You will have 2 pistons working on the left side, and 3 pistons working the right side on the front. Don't think the stock front master cylinder would work well with 5 pistons. In the rear. You will have to get a new master cylinder with a 14mm bore to get the rear to have enought power in the caliper. Going this far, you should just swap the front end out for something else.