New Gear!

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

So, my good buddy wera910 got himself a new HJC with the retractable inner tinted shield and I figured I would give one a shot after taking a header in my previous helmet. I thought it would be a nifty idea since I dislike having to switch shields from clear to tint when I ride to work in the dark and into the setting sun on the way home. The HJC IS-16 is very reasonably priced, and I grabbed one from New Enough.

Also got a pair of Honda branded Joe Rocket gloves to replace my Team Jordan Joe Rockets. Not sure the model names on either, but the previous Jordan gloves were slightly better. The Honda models are pretty good, but the fit and feel of the Jordans were fantastic. Both were bought on closeout from New Enough, and not current models. In fact, I'd wager that the Hondas are an older model? I think they will be ok. Much, much better than the first pair of race style gloves I got. An old Fieldsheer pair that were pretty basic.

As for the helmet, this is my first non Shoei ever. My previous two helmets have been X-Eleven's, both. I had a minor crash (at least as far as my helmet) in the first, so I bought another for track use and used the first on street only. I was hoping for a big reduction in price in the Eleven since the X-Twelve has come out, but I was disappointed that they have not really come down since I bought my second in '08.

Boy have I been spoiled by having a high end lid! First off the HJC costs 1/3 to 1/4 of my Shoei, so I can't expect a similar quality. Just on feeling of putting it on in the house, I am not enthused. I do like the feature of the inner tint shield, but it doesn't have the feel of the X-Eleven. I bought it only for the price and convenience, so I think it will be commuter only. Don't know, will have to ride with it first and see how it does in the wind.

I also got the "high viz" yellow shield to try out. Never really tried one before, so who knows...gallery_913_274_29767.jpg

New Gear HJC IS-16 and Honda branded Joe Rocket gloves

That's always been the issue with HJC for me, when you pick them up and put them on, the price becomes evident. Put on a Shoei or Arai and they just feel "plush". :fing02:

I've never heard of that Hi-vis shield before. :beer:

• Member Contributer

That's always been the issue with HJC for me, when you pick them up and put them on, the price becomes evident. Put on a Shoei or Arai and they just feel "plush". :fing02:

When I bought my first X-Eleven back in '05 (I think) I tried on the RF-1000 and even that was night and day. So I surely wasn't expecting a luxury lid with the HJC...

• Member Contributer

When I bought my first X-Eleven back in '05 (I think) I tried on the RF-1000 and even that was night and day. So I surely wasn't expecting a luxury lid with the HJC...

I wish Shoei would start putting these dropdown sunshields into their helmets. I don't want to give up the Shoei luxury either. HJC doesn't make a bad helmet -but I've just been spoiled...

• Member Contributer

I feel like my Scorpion is as good in the quality department as my Arai.

But I feel like Scorpion has raised the bar for cheap helmets. I want to try their model with the tinted flip down visor one of these days.

• Member Contributer

But I feel like Scorpion has raised the bar for cheap helmets. I want to try their model with the tinted flip down visor one of these days.

Whenever I think of Scorpion helmets I always get a memory of that smell that fog machines put off -since they have one at every race with that huge scorpion statue in their display tent. It's to the point where I can't even read that name without smelling that smell and associated it with the helmet.

Weird huh? :fing02:

It's not a bad smell, it's just weird ;)

• Member Contributer

Whenever I think of Scorpion helmets I always get a memory of that smell that fog machines put off -since they have one at every race with that huge scorpion statue in their display tent. It's to the point where I can't even read that name without smelling that smell and associated it with the helmet.

Weird huh? :fing02:

It's not a bad smell, it's just weird ;)

Whenever I think of Scorpion helmets I always get a memory of that one album cover with the bubble gum. You know, the one I can't bring to work. :beer:

To be honest, I'm not sure what that has to do with helmets.

• Member Contributer

So I got the chance to wear the HJC on the work commute. Morning ride in was dark, very humid, and a little chilly. Normally a big fog situation on the face shield. This HJC with it nose guard thingy didn't fog one bit, even a stop with the shield down! Big plus, as my Shoei would fog even when I did use the nose guard thingy it came with.

Ride home was bright and sunny, and the built in smoke visor was great.

Those were the good. On the other hand, I didn't feel like the fit was very good at all. Not sure how it is going to be on an all day ride, but getting back and forth to work was ok. The more I thought about it after the initial ride in, the less I liked it. Even considered selling, but riding home was ok. It just feels like it sits high on my head, but I think it's only because of the feel of the lower padding. Also I can feel some loose fabric on my ears.

No good opportunity to test the venting as I was riding my Pacific Coast with the big-ass (technical term!) windshield.

Hopefully the weather will allow me some sport testing this weekend.

It's a cool idea, but I'm keeping an eye out for the ultra closeout deals on the X-Elevens. :pissed:

I'm not sure what the deal is with HJC and their fit. The one I have for a track helmet fits me well (although not as quality feeling as Shoei or my Arai), but I've tried on several other models and never have gotten one that feels good enough to buy. I thought the CL, CS, etc models would indicate some sort of different shape or something, but apparently it does not. I even talked to a rep at the International Motorcycle Show last year and she said the model number has nothing to do with shape. Even a newer CS doesn't fit like an older CS. pissed.gif

Just sell the damn thing and get one that fits your head the way it should. fing02.gif

• Member Contributer

Just sell the damn thing and get one that fits your head the way it should. fing02.gif

Nah, I'm pretty satisfied with it. I rode all day Sunday, and it worked fine. Only at the end of the day did it start to bother me. Had some weird pressure points on my ears that started to hurt, but it was a loong day riding!

Fetter still loves his, but I merely like mine! :beer:

Love the price, however! :491:

Archived