Powerlet

Guest nwatkins176

Guest nwatkins176

Okay I ordered and installed Powerlet on the left hand panel. The instructions were awesome and the part went in clean. Now my question is what is this. When I ordered I thought it was cigarette lighter type power source and it is not that at all. So what goes in there? Is there an adapter that can I get to plug my phone car charger into?

• Member Contributer

Thats a BWW style plug, its smaller than than reg 12v cig auto socket........all MC heated gear/gps/etc fits the bmw size, you can buy an adaptor, powerlet has them

Okay I ordered and installed Powerlet on the left hand panel. The instructions were awesome and the part went in clean. Now my question is what is this. When I ordered I thought it was cigarette lighter type power source and it is not that at all. So what goes in there? Is there an adapter that can I get to plug my phone car charger into?

A powerLet is the best of the best, it can handle anything better than the other types, but is a different fit. there are attachments for it with most stuff.... SOURCE... 1st I'd go with one of our members who has a supply of most of this stuff, and can get or tell you where to go from here... His name on here is "Tightwad".... PM him....Or go to his website..... here's his link.... You can look though it... all kinds of stuff for VFR's electric systems, including updated wiring harnesses..... He'll work with you if you need help.... Monk http://www.wiremybike.com/

... 1st I'd go with one of our members who has a supply of most of this stuff, and can get or tell you where to go from here... His name on here is "Tightwad".... PM him....Or go to his website.....

:biggrin:

tightwad can have powerlet goodies dropshipped to you and will probably save you a few bucks!!

• Member Contributer

I didn't know tightwad carried the Powerlet line. Previously I had bought my stuff here.

If you want to directly hook up a standard cigar-lighter device directly to the powerlet they sell an adapter like this or you can buy one with a wire in it like this.

What I did was just buy the Powerlet basic male plug and use my own wire (a nice heavy-jacketed 2-wire #14 gauge type SO cord) that was about 4-feet long to a double-headed Cigar outlet I scrounged out of my "junk drawer." The wire goes up and into my tank bag where the double-headed Cigar plug is. That way I can plug both my GPS and my phone charger and have the cruddy non-waterproof connections of those automotive-type 12v plugs inside the tankbag and away from the elements.

The Powerlet outlet will carry more power, be secure and pretty watertight both when the outlet is closed ( or when the plug is inserted. It's also made of better and less corrosion susceptible materials so it can take the elements. Those cheap Cigar outlets are made to be used inside a dry vehicle and just don't last on the dash of a motorcycle unless your vehicle is always garaged and you only ride when it is sunny and warm out.

I'll have to take a look at what Tightwad has. Is there a website for his wares?

I'll have to take a look at what Tightwad has. Is there a website for his wares?

you can find his powerlet page here. he doesnt stock the stuff, but has it shipped to YOU from powerlet. if they got it, he can get it!!

• Member Contributer

you can find his powerlet page here. he doesnt stock the stuff, but has it shipped to YOU from powerlet. if they got it, he can get it!!

+1.gif

He must be getting a good dealer rate and passing most of it on. His prices seem much better than the site I linked. I'll definitely be going through him the next time I need something. Too bad I pretty much have my set-up done right now. I might need another male adapter if the heated clothing I buy doesn't come with it but I won't know until I buy it. One of these days I'll get around to buying some but I do pretty good with the non-electric gear I have.

Great link!

You get a :fing02: for that one!

You get a +1.gif for that one!

glad i could help, Serenity! its a good deal for us, plus it helps out a fellow VFRD member.

just when you think you've bought that last electronic goodie -- its time for another one!! :fing02:

Another nice thing about dealing with Tightwad is that he can get you the right parts if you don't know that much about this stuff.... Like ME....

• Member Contributer

I did not know Tightwad carried Powerlet stuff?

He's a man of many talents and of many products. smile.gif

This forum is great. Thanks for all the quick replies. I am new to this sport touring stuff. I had no idea BMW invented their own plug. How snooty of them.

Archived