RC30 Bodywork

Guest theSnaab

Guest theSnaab

My '86 viffer (RC24) is starting to look like a patchwork quilt of body parts. Some original 700F2 pieces, some 750 pieces, maier lower fairings, a flat black ass, and various bits of raw fiberglass and tape holding things together. I even have two different color wheels!

One day soon my budget may loosen up just a bit - and my current bodywork will literally disintegrate - and when that happens, I wanna try something...RC30.

I'm kinda surprised that searching the forums I haven't found more people doing this. Apparently RC30 replica bodywork is really popular on the Hawk (NT650), but not the VFR to which it's directly related.

Yes, I know that a VFR750 is not a VFR750R...but it's closer than a Hawk! (No offense to the Hawk and Hawk folk...it's a fine bike, I like the Hawk, nice swingarm and all that, but I'm sorry, you don't have a V4 and you don't have gear driven cams...bitch).

So has anybody else tried this or considered doing it? The bodywork is available from Airtech (maybe other places too, I dunno). The fairing comes in an upper and a lower (though split further down than the RC24), and the superbike tail looks from photos to follow similar lines, leading me to believe that it might be sitting on a similar size and shape subframe. Obviously some fabbing would need to be done to get things to mount up properly, but shouldn't it be possible? Silly question, anything's possible...let me rephrase: Shouldn't someone have done it already??

The biggest issues I can see just from close study of photographs is adding the fairing stay bars where it sweeps back over the handlebars, and fitting the tail section to the RC24 tank (they sit slightly different). Although, I have been wanting to try some wet-lay-up carbon fiber stuff...the RC30 tank looks fairly basic. Though maybe still a bit much for my first project.

Thoughts? Ideas? Problems I haven't thought of?

• Member Contributer

hey snaab!

yes! i am working on an rc30 rep. that will mate to cbr900 mid and lowers. as the rc30 copies are big bbucks abd are too narrow for the vfr radiator..

great minds think alike :biggrin:

IMG00039.jpg

IMG00040.jpg

IMG00041.jpg

Oh man, that's brilliant. I was actually wondering to myself if I could use cbr900 headlights in an rc30 upper (because I love those halo headlight rings), but somehow never made the leap to just modifying a 900 fairing. It is pretty similar.

Keep us updated on how that project's going. I may try to emulate ya.

What are you doing about the tail section? I'd love to eventually ditch my stock for a superbike-style tail, or at least something other than the '80s plank with the solo cowl that I can't use without slowly cracking the tail in about sixteen places...sorry, rant. :fing02:

Anyway, the 900 tail looks like it stops too short of the tank. What are you gonna use?

• Member Contributer

i am going to use the nc30 tail which is the same as the rc30 ( or close enough ).. but has has a passenger pad.

how do you like the stuff i sent? everything working good? i hope the post office didnt crush anything.

• Member Contributer

oh.. the upper in the pix

thats an NC30 uppeth that has been widened and will be extended or fitted with part of the cbr 900..(the black part)

Stuff you sent's working out great. I was in dire need on that tail...my old one just about crumbled in my hands when I took it off. The seat's much more comfortable without four layers of gaffer tape on it. Still using my old side panels and I haven't gotten to play with changing my brake cylinder yet, but that's next on the agenda.

Is the flat black upper in the first pic a reall RC30 piece then that you used for comparison? The early 900rr fairing is a little similar though. Got the dramatically swept back windshield and the dual headlight holes...

honda_cbr_900_rr_fireblade_1993_9_lgw.jpg

It's not quite wide enough either, and the "U" shape of the profile should be more extreme (slopes up too much on the 900).

Your NC piece is nice, but I imagine those are hard to come by too. I wonder if I could modify a 900 fairing to work in its entirety. Did you just saw apart the NC30 upper and used fiberglass to widen it? Where'd you get all the NC stuff?

I've been working on fitting an RC45 body to my 4th gen, I'm in the process of switching project bikes right now though so the final will vary from this one a little (R1 front end instead of 954)

gallery_12942_4385_469698.jpg

DSC02149.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_282671.jpg

DSC02151.JPG

gallery_12942_4385_193836.jpg

DSC02150.JPG

Mounting the headlights was the toughest, I milled a bracket out of aluminum stock since they won't attach to the fairing like the 900 does.

gallery_12942_4385_129561.jpg

DSC02134.JPG

I have a bit more info on my 'conversion' thread

• Member Contributer

in the first pic.. a real nc30 upper that i cut and PLASTIC WELDED.. no fiber glass filler crap to break off when riding..

the black up is a fiberglass nc30 copy with holes widedned for foe 5 1/2 incg head lights.

you can see in he bix.. there is a huge diff in the head light holes and the width of the body..

the stick nc30 has 4" head lights.

i am sure the cbr 900 can be modded tp make a rc30 or rc 45 replica.. just needs plastic and a plastic welder and patience.

the black nc30 upper can be cut and widend with fiberglass.. because it is fiberglass.

dont mix and match! :beer:

i like those rc45 parts tongue.gif

glad the parts work for you!

Archived