Bill Mayer seat for my VFR

blackbrainedjohnny

I got my new seat from the guys at bill Mayer saddles in Ojai, Ca. this week. i have read a lot of great reviews of the Sargent seat but didn't want to miss the opportunity to drive in and have a seat made just for my butt. (They are located about 1 mile from my house.) I just got back from my first ride and the improvement in comfort is 100%. doesn't look bad either and only ran me about $480.

post-19334-12661177079_thumb.jpg

post-19334-126611773661_thumb.jpg

post-19334-126611774776_thumb.jpg

post-19334-126611776792_thumb.jpg

post-19334-12661177972_thumb.jpg

post-19334-12661178161_thumb.jpg

post-19334-126611784021_thumb.jpg

post-19334-126611785006_thumb.jpg

post-19334-126611787095_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow, that looks sweet. I would do the same if I had a seat vendor in my back yard. Be sure to give a ride report.

MD

• Member Contributer

Wow, that looks sweet. I would do the same if I had a seat vendor in my back yard.

You can ship to him, and have great results-

We used Bill Mayer for our VFR seat, and it's been superb. We got both sections custom tuned to our butts, and it's the best money one could ever spend on the VFR if they are into touring. Loads better than Corbins I've had.

BillMayerSaddles.com

Send your seat to Rocky in Ojai. I had my section done that way first 4 years ago. We had long conversations by phone and they did a great job after I shipped the seat to them. Two summers ago, we rode through Ojai and had Jalene's pillion section done at the factory while on vacation. She's comfortable no matter what the distance, and she likes how the slight bucket keeps her firmly planted while cornering and braking. They catered BBQ sandwiches for us while we were there.

I will go with Bill Mayer for saddles from now on. Nice choice!!

Wow, that looks sweet. I would do the same if I had a seat vendor in my back yard.

We used Bill Mayer for our VFR seat, and it's been superb. We got both sections custom tuned to our butts, and it's the best money one could ever spend on the VFR if they are into touring. Loads better than Corbins I've had.

BillMayerSaddles.com

Send your seat to Rocky in Ojai. I had my section done that way first 4 years ago. We had long conversations by phone and they did a great job after I shipped the seat to them. Two summers ago, we rode through Ojai and had Jalene's pillion section done at the factory while on vacation. She's comfortable no matter what the distance, and she likes how the slight bucket keeps her firmly planted while cornering and braking. They catered BBQ sandwiches for us while we were there.

Do you have any pics of the seat. i was apprehensive of doing too much to the passenger seat due to looking funny on the bike. i still got my seat cowling to fit but i dont know if all day rides will be that comfy for a passenger.

• Member Contributer

BillMayerSaddles.com

Do you have any pics of the seat. i was apprehensive of doing too much to the passenger seat due to looking funny on the bike. i still got my seat cowling to fit but i dont know if all day rides will be that comfy for a passenger.

I will shoot some photos in the next day or two and post them. The pillion section loses it's sleekness, and I can't put the cowling on any more. But form follows function for us, and I did get a lot of positive comments at the Summit in Colorado.

Here's the seat after BM did my rider's section. This was done by mail. The pillion cover still fit at this point.

gallery_3463_423_18220.jpg

Saddle by BillMayerSaddles.com

Here we are getting a second-fitting while Jalene's pillion section was being built at the Ojai factory. We did this three or four times throughout the process. They carefully shaped it exactly as she wanted, with the edges of her bucket rounded-off like mine so she can slide around, yet, still stay planted under braking.

gallery_3463_423_24541.jpg

Second fitting.jpg

Here is the seat with Jalene's section finished. It may not have that sleek 150mph look to it anymore, but boy does she ever love it. It now has the 600+ mile-per-day look. Obviously, the cover will no longer come close to fitting over it, but how would that look with the ugly WingRack, anyway? She still prefers to tour on the VFR over our GoldWing, and that's saying something. The lines across the back of my section are where three different layers of foam meet under the newer, more flexible seat skin. I gave up the cross-hatched stuff for the more compliant "regular" vinyl.

gallery_3463_423_24681.jpg

gallery_3463_423_44428.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

That sure looks comfortable!

I love my Corbin but this looks even better with regards to comfort. This BM seat looks like you could ride for 12 hours straight without gas stops and get off feeling refreshed and ready for more.

I want.

That sure looks comfortable!

I love my Corbin but this looks even better with regards to comfort. This BM seat looks like you could ride for 12 hours straight without gas stops and get off feeling refreshed and ready for more.

I want.

[/quote

You can ride for 12 hours straight. That's why i am installing a new 15 gallon tank. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

You can ride for 12 hours straight. That's why i am installing a new 15 gallon tank. :fing02:

I wonder if one can mount 5 or 6 gallon tanks on the SW_Motech side-racks? I know they make a 5-gallon jerry can mount but you'd have to rig up some sort of fuel pump/transfer device to move fuel to the main tank on the move...

I'd hate to give up 2 36 liter bags for more fuel though. Maybe if I got an E45 on one side I could put a fuel tank on the other side to balance it out?

Nah. Like you said, the Corbin isn't that good. After 200miles the third time in a row I start to welcome the chance to get off and stretch for a few minutes when I fuel up.

But the next saddle I get will be a BM -no question about it.

• 3 months later...

Archived