Zero Gravity Factory 2nd's??

Guest danmurphymn

Guest danmurphymn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350231249891&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=b25b97cc1250a0265292ad32fe51ebec&rvr_id=&ua=WXI7&itemid=350231249891

This is supposedly a factory ZG DB windscreen with small "undetectable" defects for 1/2 the price. Has anyone dealt with these or had any experience?

Yes, I just bought one to rebuild my wrecked 5th gen. Smoked double bubble.

In my case, If you hold the screen to the light, where the creases make the sharp 90' bend to turn and stick into the factory fairing for the attachment points, that crease has some small air inclusions or bubbles in side the screen along the length of the crease. Nothing on the surface though.

However, that part of the shield is all but invisible when it is installed. You'd have to know the air inclusions are there, and shine a bigass flashlight right on the spot, plus look real close to see anything.

The broad part of the shield that you look through is fine, as are the creases that form the "double bubble" part.

• Member Contributer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350231249891&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=b25b97cc1250a0265292ad32fe51ebec&rvr_id=&ua=WXI7&itemid=350231249891

This is supposedly a factory ZG DB windscreen with small "undetectable" defects for 1/2 the price. Has anyone dealt with these or had any experience?

I bought a smoked sport touring shield from zgoutlet.com. I think I paid around $50. It had a 2" by 1/2" scrape right in the middle of it. I used some automotive buffing compound and buffed the scratch out in about 15 minutes. Great windshield--does much better deflecting wind than my stock did with no buffeting issues(I'm also 6'3"). They are not nearly as sturdy as stock but I have had zero issues with it.

• Member Contributer

Just purchased a factory 2nd ZG DB for my 5th Gen - I'm +1 on veefer800canuck's comments - hard to tell that it's a second at all. :fing02:

I bought a used ZG DB from a fellow VFRD member a couple years ago. I finally swapped out the OEM windshield for it awhile back but didn't like the fit of the ZG compared to the OEM. Because of that and since I couldn't tell too much of a difference between the two at various speeds I re-installed the OEM.

The ZG is sitting in a box if I ever change my mind. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I bought one of those ZG seconds but it was full of those air inclusions, gave the whole thing a bubbly, scratched look. Ended up selling it for 1/10 what I paid.

• Member Contributer

I bought one for mine back in 2005 - couldn't really see what was wrong with it, and the price was certainly right. Got a rock chip in it on my way back from Utah in 2006, so any flaws it might have don't really matter anymore...

• 1 month later...
Guest danmurphymn

I took all of your advice. I ordered it, installed it and have to say it was worth every penny. Can't tell the difference.

• Member Contributer

EXCELLENT !!!!! cant tell the difference, I could not see any flaws....one had a broken clip, an email got another like the next day without sending bad one back, so good people here imo/quality screen

I've used a DB for 2 years with no issues. It is flimsy, and lacks the lower tabs that the factory has, but it does what it's supposed to, looks good (IMHO), and has held up just fine. Without breaking out the magnifying glass, I didn't notice anything else wrong with it.

You won't regret your purchase.

I got one for my 4th gen adn loved how it diverted air off me at highway speed. Mine was defect free and was very clear, but oddly was dirty. And the fit was a little off, I had to dremel out one of the holes so it would fit right.

• Member Contributer

I have a Zero Gravity (not a double bubble) smoked that has been removed from the package but never used. It's like new. Not a scratch. I installed it but decided I do not like the smoked color. Never rode with it on the bike. Fifty bucks if anyone is interested.