Sidi Vortice

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

Since Mr. Bailey's crash and resulting injuries with good boots, I've decided to get some proper race boots for my track excursions:

Vortice_White.jpg

Sidi Vortice from New Enough. They have the white/white on closeout special, and they seem a decent deal.

Of course I had my own foot injuries 3 years ago due to old worn out Alpinestars coming apart. I found them used on fleabay, and figuring race boots would be good, I didn't give them a second thought. The sole literally came off exposing the underside of my foot to asphalt at somewhere around 100 mph. Since then I bought and have been wearing new street style boots, not thinking of serious impact trauma, just having them stay in one piece.

Of course, it took me 18 months to even think about going back to the track. But it seems from this year that I'm not going to give it up!

Glad to hear it Kev!

Good boots would have gone a long way to prevent what you suffered that day at Jennings, nasty! :fing02:

I'm sure mine even help prevent even worse injuries! My legs will heal at least! :fing02:

I was just looking at NewEnough this morning. No money for gear at the moment or the ability to ride yet, but I plan on sending my boots & X-rays to Sedi this spring and see what happens. :idea3:

Great pick. I just picked up a pair of Sidi Vertigo's for a really good price from my local shop. I tried on all kinds of boots while shopping including Dainese, Alpinestars and Puma but the Sidi's just felt right.

In fact they are so comfortable, I'm selling my Dainese Quito's which are a mid-boot or shoe style piece of gear. I have no need for an around town boot since the Vertigo's fit like a glove.

I've worn Frank Thomas boots for years but I figure I better step it up for more protection on the track.

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of SIDI vertigo - and they are very comfortable to ride in. They are versatile enough to be worn in town, track or all day touring - although I suggest to pack along a pair of runners if you plan to go climbing around any mountains when you stop.

They are very adjustable, and you can set the calf to go over race leathers, or under textile pants.

I did a small road test with mine on a trip last summer - dropped the bike on a zero speed u-turn. The bike landed on top of my foot, with the kickstand support pressing into the shifter pad of the SIDIs. It stretched a bit and still has a small divot in the moulded plastic - but I believe any boot offering less protection would have resulted in a badly mashed foot, rather than just a broken toe. The SIDIs are still quite wearable.

I think they are one of the better boots on the market, and would not hesitate to look at the Vortice, based on my experience with the model down.

• Member Contributer

Great pick. I just picked up a pair of Sidi Vertigo's for a really good price from my local shop. I tried on all kinds of boots while shopping including Dainese, Alpinestars and Puma but the Sidi's just felt right.

In fact they are so comfortable, I'm selling my Dainese Quito's which are a mid-boot or shoe style piece of gear. I have no need for an around town boot since the Vertigo's fit like a glove.

I've worn Frank Thomas boots for years but I figure I better step it up for more protection on the track.

Without naming any names, an anonymous Cycle Gear employee told me that he thinks Frank Thomas quality has gone down significantly recently. They get a lot of returns, apparently..

I'll be getting the Vortice boots too.

I saw the ones on clearout at newenough, but as you mentioned, only in white.

I want black or red/black.

These are the perfect colour methinks:

2009_Sidi_Vortice_Air_Boots.jpg

These ones have too much red:

Sidi%20Vortice%20boot.jpg

And these ones are absolutely horrendous:

sidi-vortice-andrew-pitt-gold.jpg

• Member Contributer

I plan on sending my boots & X-rays to Sedi this spring and see what happens. :fing02:

That's good to hear! Maybe you can help prevent those kind of injuries in the future.

I know my current boots wouldn't come apart in the same way as my old ones did, but without any impact protection I don't want to think what would happen if I was in your situation.

These Vortice seem to be their high end boot. New Enough has a video presentation from Sidi and it claims to be MotoGP tech. I wonder what Jorge wears? He seems to like flying... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I'll be getting the Vortice boots too.

I saw the ones on clearout at newenough, but as you mentioned, only in white.

I want black or red/black.

These are the perfect colour methinks:

2009_Sidi_Vortice_Air_Boots.jpg

Those are sweet, but the white are really going to pop on my black and silver RC! :fing02:

Archived