WTF: PCII map for '99

AB-Oz

has anyone got a Powercommander II map for a '99 with a staintune and a K&N air filter?

Otherwise I'm going to go with a map for '99 with an Erion slip-on and K&N filter....

Cheers

AB

I've got one that I "built" from an existing map for my K&N--99 headers--hard packed Erion muffler. Several guys have used it, including a certain Enzed Viffer. It has a bit of timing in it at 100% throttle, more timing at midrange speeds, some part throttle richness to easy snatchiness at parking lot speeds.....oh...I just found the setup notes for it:

1998-1999 VFR800

Erion slip-on

K&N filter

Gutted cat, no O2s at all.

Original map was M101-009

------------------------------------------

Tracy low speed tweaks No 6

Added some 2K timing on top of full throttle +4 timing for driveabilty. [Dec 05]

Added some +2 timing to the 80% throttle range [Dec 05 xmas]

Is midrange a little soft? No, seems to be okay. Only slight soot on end of pipe, so not too rich. Low speed is fine. Some slight 2nd gear midrange steady throt surge, but don't care. Smooth at 148 mph full throttle. Raised values into the 16K rpm range, just in case. No popping on decel. [Jan 06]

Added a touch of timing at 3000rpm/40 and 60 percent throttle. [March 06]

Might think about adding some timing to the 4-6K range at 40/60% throttle settings and see if that improves midrange. [not yet done]

Reduced MP settings in zero throttle/1000-1500 cells from 17 doewn to 0 to improve cold idle. Not exactly sure why it worked, but it did. (August 06)

Mileage is 44 mpg, carefully measured during TMAC 2009 trip and August 2009 Franklin trip. Tailpipe shows only slight soot.

I will do so immediately. :fing02:

Please report back as to how it works with your bike. Certainly a "tweaked" map will have some issues when it's not used in just the right circumstances.

My map DOES NOT LIKE a cold engine. Big stumble at about 4500. But when fully warm........whooooosh! YMMV!!

I just remembered....I'm putting an OEM muffler on my bike this weekend, to get away from the Erion's noise. Should be interesting to see what changes or new map is needed, huh?

I fitted it on Fiday arvo - I used the Staintune map so I can judge what difference it makes, then I'll have a play with the Trace map smile.gif

I didn't get a chance to get out on the weekend, but this mornings commute has shown these things:

- gone is the slight snatchiness at low throttle

- gone is the blue smoke when revving

- gone is a the pop and snarl on the overrun (I may miss that!)

- present is a smoothness in throttle over the whole rev range, although I haven't had a chance to test this out on tootle-drive(WOT).

- the PC2 software is a piece of crap, if I didn't know how to hack things around to get them to work then...

So, now to see if that improves my fuel economy.

All in all, a good $50 spent smile.gif

• Member Contributer

- the PC2 software is a piece of crap, if I didn't know how to hack things around to get them to work then...

Would you care to elaborate AB?

What am I in for?

ok!

I think PCII software is a piece of crap IMHO because I design software for a living, and know rubbish when I see it.

- the installer disc is rubbish dont use the autorun, look for a folder on the disc containing the program itself

- the software has all the buttons available to press even though they are not ready to do anything yet

- it does not give you a positive feedback message once it has loaded the map to the PCII

- its can be tricky to get working on windoze7 smile.gif

• Forum CEO

I am surprised they even support it anymore, I am using a PC3usb now after my PC2 crapped out. I thought when it came out of the box that I had gotten a vtec unit however it wasnt, it just uses different connectors up front instead of right at the ecm like the PC2 used to. Required some wrangling to get the wires past the engine in between the frame.

My old unit kept cutting out the throttle signal, nothing like going around a corner at lean and then no throttle! Bombing down the highway in Missouri on the way home from the TexasMac last year I had finally had enough. I yanked it and it worked fine stock, if a bit too rich! I got it home and tested it I could bend the throttle wire lead and it would cut out, I snipped it and soldiered it on again and it worked for a day then it started doing it again. I gave up on it after figured out it was the a bad connector. I found there are 2 Staintune maps the European map worked better for me, way way better gas milage for sure, it is very very lean. -20% values in alot of places in the map, the US is also much leaner than stock but by half of the Euro map. I recommend the Euro map!

I had to traspose the Staintune pc2 map files into pc3 djm files by copy pasting the values then filling in the extra data points. At first I just smoothed the maps out, I did both but on the Euro map I did a direct transposition and filled in the exact same values for the extra data points to make it work exactly like the Euro pc2 map. Its smooth again and I got my milage back! I used the spud pretty much all the time cause I live in a city that has prohibitive motorcycle exhaust noise laws and there are about 3 cops to each bike it seems. I counted 12 cops going from my house 5 miles to the hotel in Manitou Springs where the Summer Summit guys (Kansas/OK) were staying last Aug! My Staintune transposition for the 5th gen PC3 usb are in the downloads section. That map file I put up years ago - the one you mentioned above should also contain the Euro spec map.

Archived