5th Gen w/Gen Mar Risers AND Helibars?

YellowFuzz

Question

• Member Contributer

Do any 5th Gen riders have both installed on their bikes? Is it safe? Is there enough fork at the top to accomodate safely?

When I bought the bike, it had Gen Mars installed. I wanted a little more rise so I bought the Helis. I saw a bike on Ebay for sale that had both installed. I didn't think there was enough room for both, maybe I'm mistaken.

Please advise...

9 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Well, I answered my own question. I just went out to the garage and put the Gen Mars on w/the Helis. Plenty of room. It raised the grips a little. I'll test it today when I ride to work and see if there's a big difference.

Well, I answered my own question. I just went out to the garage and put the Gen Mars on w/the Helis. Plenty of room. It raised the grips a little. I'll test it today when I ride to work and see if there's a big difference.

Just make sure the bars don't hit your upper fairing or gas tank when you turn the bars full left or right. :goofy:

Also, if you like them that high up, you may want to consider selling off both mods and getting an LSL conversion kit instead. Here's a link: My linkhttp://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

120H081mStdRe.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just make sure the bars don't hit your upper fairing or gas tank when you turn the bars full left or right. :goofy:

Also, if you like them that high up, you may want to consider selling off both mods and getting an LSL conversion kit instead. Here's a link: My linkhttp://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

120H081mStdRe.jpg

Or a set of 41mm VF1000F clipons! (I just happen to have a set sitting in the garage looking for a home. :unsure: )

• Member Contributer

Howdy , I have just joined the board and this is my first try to post anything -bear with me on this. For some reason I took pics of the procedure to add Gen-Mar risers to my 2000 fi. They were easy to install and added a real level of comfort to my wrists. I did not have to modify anything on the bike for the risers to fit perfectly.

I hope this isn't much of a hijack, but . . .

I'm fine with the height of my 5th gen's stock clip-ons, but I really want to rotate them down so that my levers are more in line with my wrists/arm.

What are some solutions members have tried? Anyone notch into the stock clip-ons?

I've tried searching for the topic without much success. My hands are still numb from my last ride . . .

Thanks!

I hope this isn't much of a hijack, but . . .

I'm fine with the height of my 5th gen's stock clip-ons, but I really want to rotate them down so that my levers are more in line with my wrists/arm.

What are some solutions members have tried? Anyone notch into the stock clip-ons?

I've tried searching for the topic without much success. My hands are still numb from my last ride . . .

Thanks!

You can rotate the clutch master cylinder downwards by loosening the two 8mm bolts that hold it to the bar, and get it nearly the same angle as your arm.

The brake doesn't want to rotate as far because of the brake light switch interfering with the handlebar.

I think 2000+ 5th gens had a bit of a relief cast into the stock RH bar, like a notch, to accomodate rotating the brake master downwards more. You could mod your bars in a similar fashion if you mark exactly where the brake light switch makes contact, then remove the RH bar and attack it with a dremel or similar.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yup, I'm pretty familiar with loosening the nuts. Unfortunately, you can't rotate them very far at all.

I'm guessing my main options are from Helibars, Convertibars, or Gilles Tooling. All pretty expensive.

I was hoping to find modifications members have made, or if clip-ons from other years or models were successfully interchangeable.

Archived