2003 Vfr - Won't Start - R/r?

Guest vice

First time poster here. The story....

Bought a 2003 VFR several months ago. Bike has been great, no problems. Starts everytime, no hesitation. Smooth, lights are bright.

Took it out for a spin yesterday. Went to lunch, and when I came back out to start, the bike would barely turn over.

Eventually, after trying to start it several times, the bike would not turn over at all.

Every time I turn the ignition on now, the fuel pump kick on AND the clock resets itself to 1:00 am.

Bike will not start. I currently have the battery on a charger.

Here's what I know:

1. Previous owner installed a new battery last year.

2. Wiring harness recall has been DONE.

I checked the 30 amp fuse and it was not blown. Reading and searching here on VFR Discussion, it could be the R/R?

Just wanted to get opinions as to what steps I should take.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

• Member Contributer

Charge the battery, see if the the bike starts with it. If it does not start, take the battery to a battery store or auto parts store and have it load tested to rule it out.

With the battery verified and fully charged, put a multi meter on it and see what the charging voltage is at idle and at 5500RPM with the bike warmed up. It should be in the 13.8-15 volt range.

Post back with your results. If it is under 13.8 then you will begin testing the stator, if it is over 15 volts you will begin with the R/R and wiring, if it is within spec, check for parasitic loss when the key is off.

OK. Charged the battery, and installed it back in the bike.

VFR started right up. Let it warm up. Tested at idle, 14.42 volts. Tested at 5500 rpm, 14.43 volts.

I did take the battery and have it tested and they said it was OK. Hmm.

How do I check for "parasitic losses"?

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

Thanks again!

Turn the brights on, the brake lights, turn signals, etc.

Out of curiosity, what does the battery read with the bike off? Your charging voltage sounds good, and your battery tested okay, so why would it die that one time? Is it running fine now?

• Member Contributer

Thanks again!

Turn off the bike and disconnect the wire going to the negative terminal of the battery (leave the positive terminal attached). Put an ammeter between the wire and the neg terminal. This will tell you the amount of current leakage that the battery is losing while the bike is off. The leakage should be less then 2.5 mA. Any more and you risk the leakage just draining the battery while it's not being ridden.

Archived