New To Me 02 Vfr.new Member- Vfrness Questions

Guest ncblkvfr

Guest ncblkvfr

Hi guys and gals. I am a new member to this forum. Just picked up a 2002 VFR about two weeks ago. After reading through this forum and VFRW I decided to do the blue connctor ground wire fix and install the VFRness as my bike (Canadian w/ ABS, although I picked it up in Charlotte, NC) never has had the front subharness recall done. I have arranged for a dealer in town to perform the recall work next Tuesday and am wondering if I should remove these fixes before I take it in. Anybody had the same situation and if so what are your thoughts. Loving the VFR so far with no problems and thanks for all the great information.

• Member Contributer

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't get the recall harness. The system worked better with the VFRness and the ground wire fix than it does now.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't get the recall harness. The system worked better with the VFRness and the ground wire fix than it does now.

So what kinds of problems have you had since the recall was done and did you leave the VFRness on or not? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

So what kinds of problems have you had since the recall was done and did you leave the VFRness on or not? Thanks.

VFRness cannot be used with the new recall harness; there is a new connector that Honda has added at the R/R.

When I had my own fixes, and later the VFRness when it came out, my voltage was 14.4+-0.2 volts at all times, even with high beams, cooling fan, and heated grips running, idle to redline. Now, my voltage fluctuates 13.2 - 13.8 depending on RPMs. Probably lower than 13.2 with high beams and fan at idle.

VFRness cannot be used with the new recall harness, there is a new connector that Honda has added at the R/R.

When I had my own fixes, and later the VFRness when it came out, my voltage was 14.4+-0.2 volts at all times, even with high beams, cooling fan, and heated grips running, idle to redline. Now, my voltage fluctuates 13.2 - 13.8 depending on RPMs. Probably lower than 13.2 with high beams and fan at idle.

Are you sure about this? I have sold and had installed many harnesses with the recall work having been done. what connector was added?

I haven't had the recall done...maybe I should donate my bike to that science so I can see what they do first hand.

You will want to remove the harness when you take it in of course, or they might cut it, go nuts, or who knows what!

Unless I misunderstood something, the recall addresses and replaces the front sub harness which according to the schematic on Bike Bandit only connects at the infamous Blue Connector but the new front subharness does not have the ground in that connection. The ground is relocated to the right side and tapped into a wire over there. Is this correct, because if so then it doesn't seem as if there would be a new connector.

Just looked at it again and now I see where the connectors are on the right side. Right near where I connected the VFRness. I just don't know whether or not to do the recall especially if these two fixes satisfactorily resolve the issue that the recall addressed.

• Member Contributer

VFRness cannot be used with the new recall harness, there is a new connector that Honda has added at the R/R.

Are you sure about this? I have sold and had installed many harnesses with the recall work having been done. what connector was added?

I haven't had the recall done...maybe I should donate my bike to that science so I can see what they do first hand.

You will want to remove the harness when you take it in of course, or they might cut it, go nuts, or who knows what!

I must be mistaken. In that case, I think I will reinstall my VFRness this weekend :fing02:

I must be mistaken. In that case, I think I will reinstall my VFRness this weekend :cool:

Were you able to re-install the VFRness?

• Member Contributer

I'll let you know in a few hours, but others here have done it, so I don't expect any problems. May snap some pictures if I think about it.

• Member Contributer

I'll let you know in a few hours, but others here have done it, so I don't expect any problems. May snap some pictures if I think about it.

And let us know if you start getting the volt readings you had earlier!

Aside from all the electricals, welcome to the forum NiceBlackVFR ! ! ! !

:fing02:

Welcome also, but me thinks your forum name is NorthCarolinaBlackVFR.

Thanks. You are exactly right. I live in Charlotte, NC. Seems like a great forum with tons of good info.

Archived