Co2 Cartridge Under The Seat?

cianciar

• Member Contributer

Is it a good idea to place CO2 Cartridges under my seat with my tire kit?

I know they state they shouldn't be heated up, but I got caught without my tire kit last weekend and had to bum a ride for two hours to get my kit from the house.

Only problem I've had there is they don't really inflate a tire that much.

Especially the rear. :blush:

No heat related problems or exploding cartridges or anything. And it get plenty hot here. :pissed:

I have a small electric pump to take with me on long trips. It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket under my seat. It's not as compact as a CO2 cartridge, but at least it offers almost unlimited air (subject to pauses if filling the tire takes too long and the pump overheats).

I haven't had to use it since I bought it a few years ago.

Is it a good idea to place CO2 Cartridges under my seat with my tire kit?

I know they state they shouldn't be heated up, but I got caught without my tire kit last weekend and had to bum a ride for two hours to get my kit from the house.

I think I still have a couple cartridges under the seat for a few years, no blow up yet, id just keep wrapped well and stable.

I have a small electric pump to take with me on long trips. It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket under my seat. It's not as compact as a CO2 cartridge, but at least it offers almost unlimited air (subject to pauses if filling the tire takes too long and the pump overheats).

You got one of those slime mc pumps?

I used mine 3 times, shutting off at the halfway point for cool down, it started blowing black smoke and the 4th usage.

The car type with the gauge, $10 cheaper, now that baby will run all day with no issue plus the built in gage, great if you have saddle bags to stow, which I dont So I carry the little slime one

For a sport touring bike i was hoping for a underseat storage space to be a little more extravagant then my gixxer 750, but no dice. You couldn't really fit much under there. On my gixxer i got a PCIII, Tire Patch kit, digital tire air gauge, 2 co2 inflators, and a factory tool set with some more room to spare. Oh well, i guess thats why they offer tank bags are saddle bags. :pissed:

• Member Contributer

I carry about a dozen CO2 cartridges under my seat and they have not yet exploded. A mini-compressor is really a better option (the slime version is great) but since I have a lifetime supply of these MC CO2 inflators and were all free, I am good.

FYI- 4 QTY x 16gram cartridges will inflate a 180/55/17 rear tire to 32psi

so 12 should do me I think = 3 flat tires

I have mainly been filling up my wheel barrow tire with these, free is good :pissed:

You got one of those slime mc pumps?

No, the car one. No slime though - used it on a car tyre that kept going down (what I actually bought the kit for).

The gauge is crap though - it covers such a huge range (goes up to 130psi or something) that it doesn't have enough accuracy at the range most tyres would be at (say, 30-40 psi).

For a sport touring bike i was hoping for a underseat storage space to be a little more extravagant then my gixxer 750, but no dice.

That's because you've got a 6th Gen. On my 2001, I've got an accessory fusebox, my Elka reservoir, tools, PCII, disk lock, cigarette lighter socket with cord, and I did have a box with a brakelight flasher in it. Still some spare room.gallery_3710_217_279069.jpg

Elka2.jpg

Archived