Anyone Mount Their Radar Detector With The Suction Cups?

Guest XLR8

Most detectors come with the bracket and suction cups to mount the unit on the inside of an automobile windshield. I'm wondering how well this would work on the inside of my windscreen and if anyone has tried it? My other option is to just get a techmount.

Most detectors come with the bracket and suction cups to mount the unit on the inside of an automobile windshield. I'm wondering how well this would work on the inside of my windscreen and if anyone has tried it? My other option is to just get a techmount.

I've seen a few riders using the suction cups.

I just don't feel comfortable thinking they'll fail and I'll lose the radar detector.

I use a techmount stem and I'm very happy with it.

Just to kind of jack your thread....

Has anyone mounted a GPS using the suction mounting surface that comes with many units? Just got a new Garmin and it came with a round plastic disk with two sided tape on one side that you stick the suction cup mount to. I was thinking about putting it on my triple tree and mounting the GPS to it, has anyone done this? It makes me a little nervous.

Dont do that, its not a reliable hold, I have mine velcro'd to tank bag, where its out of the way of turblance

• Member Contributer

Yes, I've done it. I drilled a small hole in the windscreen as well, just enough to get a small-size zip-tie through. When I put on the suction mount, I would also zip-tie it to the screen. The suction cups did come off once in a while (not as often as you'd think, though), and it would just hang by the ziptie until I reached up and smooshed it back into place.

In the end, it got rather annoying, and I stopped using the radar detector alltogether, seeing as how it was still mounted below my normal field of vision and kind of useless...

Radar I have no idea about but with the gps I would suggest the ram mount. I just got a Colorado 300 and the Ram mount and it sits very nice and secure. Also very adjustable.

Just to kind of jack your thread....

Has anyone mounted a GPS using the suction mounting surface that comes with many units? Just got a new Garmin and it came with a round plastic disk with two sided tape on one side that you stick the suction cup mount to. I was thinking about putting it on my triple tree and mounting the GPS to it, has anyone done this? It makes me a little nervous.

Can't help regarding the disk. But I can say: Never use your Tachometer lens as a suction mounting surface. My GPS suction cup fit in there perfectly. I thought, "Brilliant!".

The suction put a hairline crack in the lens. I haven't had any water get in, but it appears to be cracked all the way through.

Yes, I've done it. I drilled a small hole in the windscreen as well, just enough to get a small-size zip-tie through. When I put on the suction mount, I would also zip-tie it to the screen. The suction cups did come off once in a while (not as often as you'd think, though), and it would just hang by the ziptie until I reached up and smooshed it back into place.

In the end, it got rather annoying, and I stopped using the radar detector alltogether, seeing as how it was still mounted below my normal field of vision and kind of useless...

More depends on the quality of detector, My Bel sti is behind the shield and gets great notice on k and ka

• Member Contributer

The suction cups seemed like an accident waiting to happen.

I mounted a Solo 2 inside the fairing, out of sight, and weather, and powered by the bike. I am using a radar screamer for alerts.

I am very pleased.

Mac

Archived