Tbr Can

Guest Jumper

Guest Jumper

I have the TBR M2 can and a high mount mid for my 99 Viffer, but the can is too long when installed. Can or has anyone cut these down and riveted it back together? It is the aluminum can. If so is it a hard process?

thanks

Yes, you can cut it down. You'll need to take it completely apart. Once you have all the parts separated, cut the desired amount off the can and the perforated core. You'll also need to adjust the length of the packing material, but you're better of just using new stuff.

You'll also have to drill new rivet holes in whichever end you cut down. Make sure you reassemble and mark the can first!

Yes, you can cut it down. You'll need to take it completely apart. Once you have all the parts separated, cut the desired amount off the can and the perforated core. You'll also need to adjust the length of the packing material, but you're better of just using new stuff.

You'll also have to drill new rivet holes in whichever end you cut down. Make sure you reassemble and mark the can first!

Ok so it is not that big of a deal, I have all the tools at work. The only thing is that it will get louder right.

thanks

How much are you going to take off? A couple of inches won't make a huge difference. If you cut it in half, on the other hand...

Should be about 4", the can is just too long. It comes out past the tail light and it doesn't look right. I had a hard time getting a high rise midpipe for this bike (99) so I am going to make it work. I just don't want to lose too much of the TBR sound. I repair military helicopters with metal and rivets(Airforce) so I am not worried about that just checkin to see if can be done before I get into it. :biggrin:

How much are you going to take off? A couple of inches won't make a huge difference. If you cut it in half, on the other hand...

Should be about 4", the can is just too long. It comes out past the tail light and it doesn't look right. I had a hard time getting a high rise midpipe for this bike (99) so I am going to make it work. I just don't want to lose too much of the TBR sound. I repair military helicopters with metal and rivets(Airforce) so I am not worried about that just checkin to see if can be done before I get into it. :biggrin:

In that case, you'll want to find out if you can "borrow" a handful of M4-3 rivets and an air over hydraulic Cherry riveter! LOL! :fing02:

I used to assemble those U-shaped exhaust extenders that go on the end of each exhaust pipe on the Blackhawk & Seahawk. I work for a company in the private sector of the aerospace sheetmetal industry. Those things are there to reduce the heat signature of the aircraft, we are actually very close to a new contract for an upturned exhaust(UES) that's supposed to retrofit all Blackhawks in Iraq & Afghanistan, and all new birds going forward. :goofy:

In that case, you'll want to find out if you can "borrow" a handful of M4-3 rivets and an air over hydraulic Cherry riveter! LOL! :fing02:

I used to assemble those U-shaped exhaust extenders that go on the end of each exhaust pipe on the Blackhawk & Seahawk. I work for a company in the private sector of the aerospace sheetmetal industry. Those things are there to reduce the heat signature of the aircraft, we are actually very close to a new contract for an upturned exhaust(UES) that's supposed to retrofit all Blackhawks in Iraq & Afghanistan, and all new birds going forward. :goofy:

I actually think that the U-shaped exhaust extenders came from you guys that we have on our bird. I haven't seen any rivets that are hollow in the middle like that. I might have to use the regular cherry max. I will have to dig deeper. I also want it to stay lookin nice and not a hack job.

If the shipping box says Dynabil Industries or Ducommun AeroStructures on it, that's us!

You'll want NAS1738M4-3 rivets for an aluminum or stainless can. If it's carbon, or if the can's really thin, you could probably use 1738M3-2's. Those rivets are aluminum, so you could probably shine the heads up a bit?

If the shipping box says Dynabil Industries or Ducommun AeroStructures on it, that's us!

You'll want NAS1738M4-3 rivets for an aluminum or stainless can. If it's carbon, or if the can's really thin, you could probably use 1738M3-2's. Those rivets are aluminum, so you could probably shine the heads up a bit?

Cool man thanks.

I've cut through the entire assembly w/o taking them apart with a chop saw or band saw, then just R&R the cap and your done! :cool:

btw I rap the outside of the can with masking tape at the cut zone to protect it during the process! :happy:

I've cut through the entire assembly w/o taking them apart with a chop saw or band saw, then just R&R the cap and your done! :cool:

btw I rap the outside of the can with masking tape at the cut zone to protect it during the process! :happy:

Not really the best idea, as the cans are assembled differently. Some manufacturers weld the core to one end & not the other, have a slip fit on one end & not the other, etc.

Not really the best idea, as the cans are assembled differently. Some manufacturers weld the core to one end & not the other, have a slip fit on one end & not the other, etc.

Well of course you need to look and see what your playing with first! :cool:

• Member Contributer
I have the TBR M2 can and a high mount mid for my 99 Viffer, but the can is too long when installed. Can or has anyone cut these down and riveted it back together? It is the aluminum can. If so is it a hard process?

Never had an M2, but the C2 is pretty simple. I also tap the holes to take M4 stainless button-head screws, rather than re-rivet them. Then I use anti-seize on the screws.

Ciao,

Archived