Race Tech Shock Spring Woes

Guest hycide

It does sound goofy, but basically if you set rider SAG on your bike to achieve the proper/correct numbers like 30-35mm on the rear for street riding and then check Free sag (sag of bike only). If there is no free sag that indicates a Soft spring, because you had to crank in so much preload to achieve the rider sag numbers that there is no Free sag available(spring is so preloaded that it Tops out the shock and there's no remaining movement available). Don't know if that help any or not? :ph34r:

I'm also using Trevitt's book thanks to Pete! :biggrin:

I'm not sure why Trevitt suggest running less free sag than Ohlins if they are recommending 10-20mm, if that's the case than TC is dead nuts! :ph34r:

Makes sense, thought about it a little after my post and figured this is what you meant. btw, this is exactly what I had with the 17kg spring, preload just about maxed to get rider sag close but almost no free sag resulted. 19kg spring with preload somewhere around 1/3-1/2 and both sag settings are in the right range now.

Hey fatso, the 19kg is the same one I run! :ph34r:

Yeah, I think many people just set rider sag and think their good to go which is not the case! You did it right, but it's weird to think " I have no free sag so I need a stiffer spring" :ph34r: , but that stiffer spring allows you to run less preload to achieve the proper rider sag which in turn give you proper free sag. :ph34r: It's a black art.

• Member Contributer

I have a mental image of BR, JD and a few other experts have a concilium on setup. All wearing white robes, standing around the bike, scratching chins and arguing. It would be like an old Russian joke about why one shouldn't have sex in public... everyone will bug the heck out of you with advise.

No offense fellas. :beer: :goofy: :ph34r:

Having said that, I've tried to research this subject and came to a conclusion that it is too complicated for me to fully understand. While the theory is not that complex, successful implementation is mostly trial and error and that can get pretty pricey. This is probably because there is no objectively measurable indication of a good setup. It is mostly subjective and is based on the experience of the rider and a ton of other things.

All jokes aside, I am willing to donate my bike as a test mule for the aforementioned concilium.

Never mind.

Too bored at work.

2 hours to go before the weekend.

Archived