Sidi Vertigo Vs Vortice

oyama

• Member Contributer

It seems no duct tape can hold my Dainese boots together anymore. So, I decided to get a new pair of boots. I am hesitating between the old Sidi Vertigo Air and the new Sidi Vortice Air. According to the NewEnough the Vortice are more of a race boots. Also, it can take a long time to take them on and off because of the redesigned ankle/shin/leg support system.

Does anybody have experience with the Vortice? Does it really take much time to put them on or off? Does the $175 difference worth for the Vortice?

Thanks for your opinion!

2008_08_03_ride_177_boot.jpg

• Member Contributer
It seems no duct tape can hold my Dainese boots together anymore. So, I decided to get a new pair of boots. I am hesitating between the old Sidi Vertigo Air and the new Sidi Vortice Air. According to the NewEnough the Vortice are more of a race boots. Also, it can take a long time to take them on and off because of the redesigned ankle/shin/leg support system.

Does anybody have experience with the Vortice? Does it really take much time to put them on or off? Does the $175 difference worth for the Vortice?

Thanks for your opinion!

Wow, duct tape can fix anything! :fing02: I used epoxy out of the tube to fill some holes in my boots once.

I have the sidi vertigo (non air version) and think they are great, not waterproof but still great boots. I just looked at the Vortices...wow they look complicated...unless you plan on racing all season, I would save the $$......$175 buys a lot of gas!! :blush: :blush:

I tried the Sidi Vertigo Air's and they were the nicest boots I have ever worn. They were very nicely made and didn't squeak like my Oxtars did.

I say that to say this, ensure you foot is not wide. I have wide feet and no pair of Sidi's were comfy on me....so I went with Alpinestars.

• Member Contributer

Balint,

You really sure you need new boots? :fing02:

I now have The Vortice Air that I will use for summer boot and also the non air Vertigo I use in the winter. If I was to go down, I would want the external bracing of the Vortice for impact protection and to prevent your foot from twisting. Boot moves a lot of air with the perforations but also has two vents. One at the toes and one on the side. Other improvements I have noticed is they now use a metal toe slider and the sole under the ball of your feet where pegs tend to wear through can now be replaced. 3 adjustment points to tighten the boot snug on your foot. Still a very comfortable boot to walk around(not hike) in.

Negatives

$$$ Sidi does not give their stuff away but there are some improvements with this version.

The boot really opens up wide as you can see from the pic and there is a certain way to get everything back together. I let a few choice expletives fly the first time I tried to put them on. Short learning curve there and it does not take me that much more time now than the Veritgo's. I put a boot on once for a ride and it stays there until I get home. No biggie. If I had to take them off and on mutiple times day, I can maybe see a valid point.

Nice boot.

2009_0424April240003.jpg

2009_0424April240002.jpg

Thanks for your opinion!

Holy cow, Do you ride in crocodile infested swamps with those boots??!!

Maybe you should check out more rugged boot designs instead, like the Aerostich Combat or Combat Lites (see link)

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?produ...=253&page=1

They wont look as bling as the Sidis, but I don't think you will need to buy rolls of duct tape for a long long time with the "Stiches"

BTW, seeing the damage to your boots there, I'm thinking, could there be a problem with durabilty in general with Lorica synthetic leather, which I suspect the Dainese is mostly made of?? I have boots (all leather Daytonas) that are much older than yours and also thouroughly used and they don't show any signs of deterioraion such as you see on your Dainese boots.

• Member Contributer

Alls' I can think about when I look at this picture is "Tese would go great with the Flaf" :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Beck,

I am not sure what my Dainese boots were made of but they lasted about 15 years. That is good enough for me. wink.gif I have looked into the Aerostich Combat boots some time ago but I think the Sidi could offer more protection.

dbs05,

Hmm, you really made me think about the Vortice boot. If it is really not a big deal to put them on I probably have to check them out in person ant try them to see how complicated the process is. I like the extra protection too.

By the way, the advantage of the duct tape is that when the tape is off of the boots it feels like I have a breezy boots. When the tape is on I have (almost) waterproof boots. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I've had a pair of Sidi bicycle shoes with the fishing line straps like those boots and they have yet to fail but they just seem a flimsy to me. I do like the idea of the replaceable sole and metal sliders. Unfortunately, Sidi has just about priced themselves out of any future sales from me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, I got the Vortice boots. I cannot complain. I made in them to T-Mac and back without any problem. It does take some time to put them on and latch those latches. But as DBS05 said once a day I can do it too. I did notice the toe slider is made out of metal because in a few occasion I thought I was scraping my pegs but after a careful inspection I saw scratches on my toe sliders.

Btw, do I need a few size smaller boots?

20090510_baby_boots_002_resize.jpg

Archived