Shark Openline Helmet

NateRC36

Hi all,I

I'm looking to order a Shark Openline helmet, I've tried the Evoline (the next model up) but the wind nose was shockingly bad (something to do with the unique design) - even with the flip-up screen on my VFR!

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried out the Openline and if so I'd appreciate your opinion.

Cheers

Nate :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I'm surprised to hear that the current Evoline had wind noise issues; after the review of that lid on webbikeworld.com I was pretty sold on the thing and was putting away nickles and dimes in hopes of affording one in a year or so. They did report that the initial release of the Evoline left something to be desired in the quality department, but were happy with this helmet once it was updated and was officially offered here in the USA.

Most unfortunate.

I'm surprised to hear that the current Evoline had wind noise issues; after the review of that lid on webbikeworld.com I was pretty sold on the thing and was putting away nickles and dimes in hopes of affording one in a year or so. They did report that the initial release of the Evoline left something to be desired in the quality department, but were happy with this helmet once it was updated and was officially offered here in the USA.

Most unfortunate.

I thought the reviews from Webbikeworld.com on the Evoline was dissapointing.

they noted that it's the heaviest helmet they have ever reviewed and they mentioned that the visor could use more seals at the sides and the helmet produced a lot of noise. I think they even noted thatit was actually quieter with the front piece folded back than when the helmet is closed.

I saw the helmet for the first time a couple of weeks ago at "Roadrider" in San Jose, and it really caught my eye. It was a handsomelooking helmet, and the fold back feature really puts a fresh twist to modular helmet design. I was really surprised on how poorly it performed it rated in Webbikeworld's review.

I'd wait a little bit before buying it till the manufacturer can work out all the new helmet bugs out of it.

(weight and wind noise/visor sealing)

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Did you check out the Caberg Justissimo? This Italian made modular (flip-up) got the highest and only top safety rating of the dozens of flip-ups tested. It also has a flip-up/down inside sun visor that works great. I got one recently and am very happy with it. Quite reasonably priced, too, even with shipping.

They aren't sold here in the USA any longer, so no DOT sticker, but they do have the European equivalent (I forget the acronym) which I believe equates to a higher standard anyway. I purchased mine from a distributor in the UK. Very prompt delivery (five days as I recall).

Might be worthy of your consideration.

Did you check out the Caberg Justissimo? This Italian made modular (flip-up) got the highest and only top safety rating of the dozens of flip-ups tested. It also has a flip-up/down inside sun visor that works great. I got one recently and am very happy with it. Quite reasonably priced, too, even with shipping.

They aren't sold here in the USA any longer, so no DOT sticker, but they do have the European equivalent (I forget the acronym) which I believe equates to a higher standard anyway. I purchased mine from a distributor in the UK. Very prompt delivery (five days as I recall).

Might be worthy of your consideration.

The Caberg's are good but I've used them in the past and fancied a change! Also the shells on the Cabergs always seem unnecessarily big and the vent covers always wear out.

I've ordered the Openline (Sweetleaf model in white), I will post feedback on it here for you guys later. Sorry about crapping on the Evoline, it may be different for you since you may have a different head shape, it just didn't work for me!

Cheers

Nate

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-...rk-evoline/dot/

Excerpt:

" Conclusion:

The Shark Evoline is a radical new design that has several real advantages, especially for motorcycle touring. Shark is known for excellent, high-quality helmets and a devotion to safety and technology, and this version of the Evoline definitely seems to be the equal of those factors.

I'm pretty much a devoted full-face helmet guy, but the DOT version of the Evoline has made me a convert! "

They weren't very fond of the ECE version, the DOT version seemed to get their nod.

Beck

95 VFR

Excerpt:

" Conclusion:

The Shark Evoline is a radical new design that has several real advantages, especially for motorcycle touring. Shark is known for excellent, high-quality helmets and a devotion to safety and technology, and this version of the Evoline definitely seems to be the equal of those factors.

I'm pretty much a devoted full-face helmet guy, but the DOT version of the Evoline has made me a convert! "

They weren't very fond of the ECE version, the DOT version seemed to get their nod.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good helmet, just a little too noisy for my liking!

Nate :cool:

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

Excerpt:

" Conclusion:

Don't get me wrong, it's a good helmet, just a little too noisy for my liking!

Nate :cool:

I tried on some Sharks at the store, and on all of the ones that didn't have the special system for tightening the shield it never closed up tight against the gasket. You could literally see a large gap between the shield and the gasket. Check it out first.

Archived