Power Commander And Ubuntu

Guest Action

Guest Action

Has anyone gotten the Power Commander software to work using Ubuntu? The program will work under Wine but it will not see the pciii through the USB connection. You can see if you run dmesg, but not anywhere else. I did load a map using my windows desk top computer so I know everything works but I'd really like to get working through my laptop which has Ubuntu. I'm a complete noob with Ubuntu/lLinux so any help would be welcome.

Action

You can see if you run dmesg, but not anywhere else.

What do you see when running dmesg? I do not have a PowerCommander so I have no idea how you upload maps using a windows machine. Does it act like a removable drive?

• Member Contributer

What do you see when running dmesg? I do not have a PowerCommander so I have no idea how you upload maps using a windows machine. Does it act like a removable drive?

I never used WINE much, but perhaps you need to tell wine the address of the USB port? If you post the output of dmesg that would help too

I never used WINE much, but perhaps you need to tell wine the address of the USB port? If you post the output of dmesg that would help too

After some research this weekend, it seems that my choices are either dual boot with Windows, run windows off a thumb drive, or just reformat to windows. The problem is trying to get a program running in Wine to see the USB port. The power commander does not show up like a separate drive that you could just mount. If the power commander software ran in Linux it would be doable but everyone I've talked to does not see any way to get it to work. So, I think I'm going to just reformat my laptop to Windows XP. Thanks again for everyone’s input.

Action

• Member Contributer

After some research this weekend, it seems that my choices are either dual boot with Windows, run windows off a thumb drive, or just reformat to windows. The problem is trying to get a program running in Wine to see the USB port. The power commander does not show up like a seperate drive that you could just mount. If the power commander software ran in linux it would be doable but everyone I've tlked to does not see a way to get it to work. So, I think I'm going to just reformat my laptop to Windows XP.

Action

I would probably just dual boot. You get to keep linux for your everday thing, and when you absolutely need Windows you can just boot into it, that's ju my opinion.

I would probably just dual boot. You get to keep linux for your everday thing, and when you absolutely need Windows you can just boot into it, that's ju my opinion.

You know after looking at windows for a couple of days, you're right. I'm going to dual boot and just use Ubuntu unless I have to use Windows for something like the Power Commander program.

Action

• Member Contributer

Another consideration is to configure your Linux machine to host a virtual machine (XP guest) using such products as VMWare workstation ($) or VirtualBox if you're really intent on Ubuntu being used as your primary workstation.

• Member Contributer

or ..you know... just borrow someones WinXP machine since it sounds like your not planning on using windows much.

I was going to suggest you use a girlfriends ..or parents machine .but everyone knows that ubuntu users don't have girlfriends and are hatched and abandoned :P :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Hey Action I just got a new laptop in and so you can borrow my old one to get your PCIII maps loaded. Just hit me with a PM anytime. It's all ready loaded with XP Pro 32. :biggrin:

If you need any help setting up the dual boot let me know. I have a nifty little program that will let you set up the boot order and everything (not that Ubuntu won't do that automatically). wink.gif

Thanks for the reply's!

Deathboy - HAHAHA. Actually, my older son started at an engineering school last year and got me hooked. I still have windows on my desktop but I have a little net book and Ubuntu runs really well on it.

Vanion2 - Thanks for the offer. I may shoot yo a PM this weekend if I need help.

hidesertmlb - I thought about the Virtual route but I think dual boot will be the way to go on a netbook.

Action

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is interested. I am running Control Software version 3.2.1 on Windows XP SP3 in VMware Workstation 6.5.2. The host OS is Ubuntu 9.04.

Works great with PCIII USB.

• 2 months later...
In case anyone is interested. I am running Control Software version 3.2.1 on Windows XP SP3 in VMware Workstation 6.5.2. The host OS is Ubuntu 9.04.

Works great with PCIII USB.

you can always run through vmware server, its free.

Archived