Helmet Hangup

obryap

• Member Contributer

Yesterday I went for a ride on the VFR, and then on the Ninja, just to keep the batteries charged and ease some stress. When I walked back into the house I noticed a screw in the utility room wall and thought this would be a good place to hang my helmet. Wrong!!, after I got into the Lazyboy recliner to finish up on my stress relief, I heard a crash from the room I had just left. After investigating I found my almost new Scorpion EXO 700 laying on the floor along with a few extra pieces. The chin vent and rear vent had both broken in the fall (or sudden stop). Today I called Scorpion and told them this same story. Then they told me that they could not sell the chin vent because it would void the warranty. Thats the bad news, now for the good. They gave me a return autherization number and told me if I would ship it to them they would take care of it for me for FREE, now thats customer service. I have been pleased with their products, but I like them even better now! :biggrin:

If you are going to hang your helmet up on the wall, get some nice big, preferably padded metal hooks. For mine, I use Gladiator Geartrack. They are basically tracking that you hang on the wall and then you can buy all kinds of different attachments for it such as padded hooks, shelves, baskets, etc. It, is kind of expensive, as the trcking is like $10 for a 4 or 5 ft section, but I find is is totally worth it.

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear your quick release gadgets for the face shield stayed on.My exo700 fell off my handlebar while i was putting my jacket on and when it hit both quick releases went flying along with 4 little plastic pieces and four tiny springs.Had to go get a flashlight and spent the next 30-40 minutes finding parts and putting it back together. :mad: Just ordered a Shoei RF1000 with pin locks Saturday. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Great to hear of a good customer service story. Hope your new year follows suit! Reminds me of a not-so-similar helmet incident in my home.

Warning: Thread hi-jacking in place

Mine was a new Shoei RF-900 that I left in what I thought was a safe place on an end table in our office at home. I had notified everyone that this was my "helmet table" and NOTHING else was to be placed on that table. How much safer can you get? Well, we headed out for a night on the town and left our two dear daughters with a 15 year old babysitter. Upon our return that evening, I came in here to check up on VFRD before hitting the sack and noticed my face shield was closed. RED ALERT!!! Nobody touches the helmet. Period. I never leave my shield closed indoors. After a little investigation, I found that the babysitter needs a babysitter. He, yes he, decided to put it on and dive around our family room in WWF fashion purposly driving his head into the furniture, floor, and walls. Aside from pizza grease hand prints all over the shield, he also managed to create a new "tribal pattern" with all of the latex paint scrape marks ALL OVER THE HELMET. WTF?!!? I had a talk with his parents and learned that he was saving up for a new Nintendo and informed them that this particular helmet was worth more that two Nintendos. They offered to repair/repaint/replace at my option and assured me that their son's backside would soon need repair/repaint/replaced in short order. I brought the helmet home, cleaned it up best I could and told the parents that the helmet would be OK but my yard would need some serious tending over the next couple of months. :biggrin: I tried to remind myself that I was 15 one time and enjoyed drinking a few brews on my deck while watching some stupid kid mow my yard for free.

• Member Contributer

Now that i'm ready to box up the Scorpion and send it in, I will not be able to ride. I do not have a back-up, except for my wife's HJC Lola (floral graphics not fitting for me). Now i'm looking to purchase a lower cost back-up to hold me over until I get the Scorpion back. Does anyone have any feedback on the Bell Apex, I think I have found a good deal on one? They also have a Bell Zephyr CHEAP, but not sure I want to go that route.

• Member Contributer

I have also had a good service situation this week concerning a helmet shield.The blue on my shield faded off in the front making it difficult to see,called new enough and they sent me a replacement ASAP.They are great to deal with and have to prices to boot.

• Member Contributer

I ordered a Bell Apex last winter after seeing a friend with one, bought it on a closeout (same as my friend), with intentions of it being a backup helmet. It may have just been the one I got, but the Styrofoam liner would squeak against the shell, very irritating. My friend loved his helmet, but I should add that he was moving up to that helmet from a 70's model Bell full-face, so I figure, why wouldn't he???......

I sold it to him, he wanted it for his wife, she doesn't ride anyway so he was ok with the squeak. I picked up a low end Suomy for about 135 and love that helmet. I actually use it more than my Shoei TR-X when riding local.

Great to hear of a good customer service story. Hope your new year follows suit! Reminds me of a not-so-similar helmet incident in my home.

Warning: Thread hi-jacking in place

Mine was a new Shoei RF-900 that I left in what I thought was a safe place on an end table in our office at home. I had notified everyone that this was my "helmet table" and NOTHING else was to be placed on that table. How much safer can you get? Well, we headed out for a night on the town and left our two dear daughters with a 15 year old babysitter. Upon our return that evening, I came in here to check up on VFRD before hitting the sack and noticed my face shield was closed. RED ALERT!!! Nobody touches the helmet. Period. I never leave my shield closed indoors. After a little investigation, I found that the babysitter needs a babysitter. He, yes he, decided to put it on and dive around our family room in WWF fashion purposly driving his head into the furniture, floor, and walls. Aside from pizza grease hand prints all over the shield, he also managed to create a new "tribal pattern" with all of the latex paint scrape marks ALL OVER THE HELMET. WTF?!!? I had a talk with his parents and learned that he was saving up for a new Nintendo and informed them that this particular helmet was worth more that two Nintendos. They offered to repair/repaint/replace at my option and assured me that their son's backside would soon need repair/repaint/replaced in short order. I brought the helmet home, cleaned it up best I could and told the parents that the helmet would be OK but my yard would need some serious tending over the next couple of months. :ph34r: I tried to remind myself that I was 15 one time and enjoyed drinking a few brews on my deck while watching some stupid kid mow my yard for free.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback on the Bell Apex, I found a close out for $109 shipped 2nd day, didnt think that was a bad deal. I will check out the Suomy, I haven't looked at those. I was just wanting a descent helmet that is DOT and SNELL approved.

Archived