Westward Ho! Kegan And Vic Ride To Big Bend National Park

• Member Contributer
It was an awesome trip, definitely one to remember. Everything went perfectly smoothly with no issues (except for Vic's neck problem, which is still kind of bothering her). We got to see some great sights, eat many delicious meals, and enjoyed nearly every minute of the trip. We will definitely be back to this part of the state to do more exploring later. Thanks for reading our report, I hope you enjoyed it!

Very much so, Kegan. Thanks for taking the time to post it up. I love reading ride reports like these. Best of luck to you and Vic in the future together.

Dirk

• Member Contributer
Day 5 - Sunday, 11/30/08

Odessa - Euless Map!

Our final day on the road opened with bright sunshine and light clouds. We ended up sleeping in, as I stayed up a bit late to watch the USC-ND (Fight on!) and OU-OSU games. We had some of the hotel's continental breakfast, then hit the road at about 9 AM.

a34095e6.jpg

It was in the mid 40s when we left Odessa, but instead of the sun warming the morning air, it was soon obscured by a heavy overcast and the temperatures dropped down into the high 30s. It started drizzing as we neared Colorado City, and the clouds were looming dark and threatening in front of us. We pulled off into a gas station and donned our rainsuits.

065a5262.jpg

Side note: I used to have a MotoBoss nylon rainsuit, which I had to retire when I accidentally put the pants on backwards and ripped a huge hole in the crotch while getting on my bike. I replaced it with a nice set of FroggToggs, and got Vic a set in her size as well. My set got frequent use as I commute on the bike nearly every day, rain or shine, and recently they've become prone to letting water soak through, so I stopped in at the local Bass Pro Shop to see what products they had that could help. The salesguy directed me to some Hydrolize Rain-Resistant Wash, located right next to the 'Toggs. It's a bottled solution that you pour into the washing machine and wash your outerwear in, then toss it in the dryer for an hour (this step is very important, according to the instructions). Easy enough, right? Into the washer go the FroggToggs, then transfer to the dryer, and an hour later... hmm... they're kind of crinkly. And small. Look at the label on the 'Toggs: DO NOT HEAT DRY. Aww, crap. There's no way these things are going to fit over our jackets and pants now. Instead, I do some emergency surgery on my old MotoBoss suit with some duct tape, and hand down my now-shrunken 'Toggs to Vic (they're still a bit big for her, but at least she can get them on!). She was at least happy that she didn't have to wear her purple suit anymore.

9905bb1c.jpg

The wind picked up once we left Colorado City, and soon we were riding through some steady rain, with the dash temp guage reading 37 F. Yay for electric gear! We pulled off in Abilene for lunch at Cracker Barrel. We arrived there at 11:40 and put our name on the wait list for a table (20 minutes, we were told). We were seated at around 12:20, and our orders were in by 12:30. Food showed up at 1:15, we were done eating by 1:30, and on the road again by 1:40. Cracker Barrel, you are dead to me.

Vic showing off the Wall-E rain covers on her gloves:

d10b26a7.jpg

Onward we rode. The rain stopped at Abilene, though it was still cold, and wind was getting stronger. Traffic began picking up at around Eastland, and by Weatherford it was a steady river of traffic, still moving at a decent pace, though. The gusting wind made staying in my lane quite an exercise. We split off onto I-30, then passed under loop 820 and through downtown Fort Worth. Almost home! Finally, we pulled into our apartment complex in Euless, 343 miles after leaving Odessa. Leaving out the 2 hours wasted at Cracker Barrel, we'd done it in just over five hours.

edcde6ab.jpg

Total mileage: 1459

Gas stops: 11 (Brady, Sonora, Del Rio, Sanderson, Panther Junction, Study Butte, Fort Davis, Pecos, Coahoma, Ranger, Bedford)

Gallons / MPG: 41.5 / 35

Top Speed: 130 MPH

High Temp: Mid 70's and sunny at Santa Elena Canyon

Low Temp: 37 and rainy on I-20

Mechanical / Electrical / Pneumatic issues: 0

It was an awesome trip, definitely one to remember. Everything went perfectly smoothly with no issues (except for Vic's neck problem, which is still kind of bothering her). We got to see some great sights, eat many delicious meals, and enjoyed nearly every minute of the trip. We will definitely be back to this part of the state to do more exploring later. Thanks for reading our report, I hope you enjoyed it!

Dude and Dudette, This was an awesome ride report. You guys had a blast and it was evident. I especially liked the personal break shot Your form is to be imitated LOL. Thanks for the report.

wrestler

• Member Contributer

Whoa nice breakdown of the whole trip. All types of terrain and a bit of weather, too.

Is that USC Trojans MC place holder?!?! I need to get me one of those! :laugh:

Having lived in Del Rio for last year and half, I too enjoy eating at what we locals call "The Y" (intersection of 277 and hwy 90). Great write up, having not really had much of a chance to get out and around much, it was a delight to read about my own new local area.

• Member Contributer

Great to hear you made it home OK. Great job. Wish I was down there, rain or not. No Snow....

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Looks like you two had a great time in a wonderful part of Texas.

Sorry you couldn't enjoy the River road, as it's one of Texas' best.

I sure miss riding around Big Bend and the Ft. Davis loop areas.

Isn't the Gage Hotel in Marathon great? That was a highlight of one of my trips out that way. There'a a similar hotel in downtown Ft. Davis, with a very nice restaurant, if you ever get back there. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Camping out that way is also fun, and I really enjoyed the Ft Davis state park.

BTW, last ticket I got (and paid) was in Big Bend N.P. They do use radar there. I was there with the Honda Sport Touring Assoc. (HSTA) for their annual ride in the park.

Next time you're in the neighborhood, visit Lajitas and share a beer with Clay Henry for me. (Ask the locals.)

• Member Contributer

Great trip and write-up, and also a true test of a relationship! Looks like all smiles at the end. Good luck to the both of you!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the comments, all. Glad you guys enjoyed the read, and I hope it brightened the day of those of you currently snowed in up north!

Thats an awesome trip. How did you plan it? Word of mouth or a lot of looking at maps and guessing?

A combination of both, actually. I do spend alot of time on googlemaps, picking a place I'd like to ride to or explore and trying to piece together an interesting-looking route there (ie, the squggly lines!). It is kind of hit-or-miss when it comes to great riding roads, but I've found that around here there is almost always going to be enough random bits of history and points of interest to keep it entertaining. If you see something that catches your eye or looks worthy of a picture, stop and look! As long as you have the mindset that it's not all about the riding, but just as much about the places you get to go and sights to see, this method works pretty well.

I also try and read other's ride reports from the same area. Sport-touring.net is a great resource, as is (for texas rides) twtex.com. You can glean alot of info from previous write-ups: places to stay, places to eat, sights to see and roads to ride. That's how I found out about such places as the Starlight Theatre in Terlingua, and the River Road to Presidio (which is still on my to-do list!). That's part of the reason why I like to post up a detailed report of what we ended up doing--as much to be a resource to others as a memory book for us.

Whoa nice breakdown of the whole trip. All types of terrain and a bit of weather, too.

Is that USC Trojans MC place holder?!?! I need to get me one of those! :wheel:

Yes it is :cool: Last time I was in LA we swung by the bookstore, and I decided to see if they had one on a whim. I didn't think they would, but I never should've doubted...

• Member Contributer
Having lived in Del Rio for last year and half, I too enjoy eating at what we locals call "The Y" (intersection of 277 and hwy 90). Great write up, having not really had much of a chance to get out and around much, it was a delight to read about my own new local area.

Umm, I'm going to guess: Air Force.

• Member Contributer
Our originally planned route took us west on RR 170 (the famed River Road) to Presidio, then north through Marfa, but the floods had washed out parts of the road and I was advised not to try the detours on a motorcycle.

I'm sorry, you were advised wrong by whomever told you or what you read. As I previously mentioned, we were out there a few weeks before and although the road has some issues due to previous flooding it was open and quite rideable (at least to Redford where we typically turn around). Personally I think it as some awesome views but the pavement conditions and the numerous blind and/or off camber curves don't make it one my personal favorite state roads. It is a don't miss Texas road so you are "sentenced" to go out there again and ride it! :cool:

Archived