Do You Know What May Of Caused This? How Do I Fix It?

Guest clarkytwo

Guest clarkytwo

gallery_15998_4294_125116.jpg

This started out by having no headlights, so i decide to take a look at the electrical connections an this is what I found. I am not sure what it is or what its for? I dont even know whats best to do next?

Any ideas would be welcome...

do a search on "r/r" "regulator" "voltage problems" "buzzing" "electric recall" too many posts to find them all for you, but VFR has issues with harness and grounding and it shows up with burnt connectors on generator to r/r connector (whats in your hand in pic). "vfrharness" is another useful term as a member made a very nice fix for the issues. oh, last one...."blue connector"

good luck!

That is your Stator connector. Most likely you have an issue with your R/R, and one leg is not shunting correctly anymore, and all the power is bleeding off from that connector.

You might find your charging voltage is down to about 13.5-13.8 or so at 5K RPM

• Member Contributer

There was also a wiring recall on the VTECs. You should contact your dealer to see if:

A: You qualify

B: If it's been done already

C: If that will be covered by the recall/warranty/recall service coverage

If your bike hasn't had the recall performed, you could probably argue that is related and have it all covered.

There was also a wiring recall on the VTECs. You should contact your dealer to see if:

If your bike hasn't had the recall performed, you could probably argue that is related and have it all covered.

I am in the UK, do the recalls your talking about relate to UK bikes?

• Member Contributer

I was just thinking when I saw your VIN on the plate that is wasn't a US model. As far as I know, the recall was only for North America bikes.

So where should I start?

Should I replace the r/r?

should I replace the Stator?

should I replace both?

Also the flywheel?

Should I be carrying out more tests?

The bike starts fine everytime, and runs perfect. The only problem I have had is the headlight not working, and the speedo - but I replaced the speedo sensor connector (where it joins the front sprocket) Only ridden it once since then and all was fine.

I only noticed this because of the headlight not working.

Should I take it to Mr.Honda for final confirmation? I am not very good at the electrical side of things - but wouldnt have a problem following the "how to guide" on replacing theh parts listed above.

She has covered 64000 miles on a 2002 model

• Member Contributer

I don't think so, although they should. Never hurts to ask though. Give them a call.

Otherwise, you're probably going to end up at wiremybike.com.

Archived