'96 Front Wheel & Rotors On A '98 ?

fuldogg

Question

Does anyone know if a '96 front wheel (complete with axle,spacers, and rotors) will fit on a '98 VFR ? I would like to be able to have a spare front wheel set up with a different tire so I can easily swap. The complete '96 wheel is available for a good price, but isn't close by and I can't check the various measurements without buying it first.

5 answers to this question

I'm 99% sure the 96 (4th gen) front wheel and rotors are NOT compatible with the 98 (5th gen) VFR. The VTEC (6th gen) wheels are identical to the 5th gen ones, so there's an ample source... from 98 to 08, ten years worth of production, I've scored a spare set and a 3rd front over the years for 1/3 the price new...

The rear wheel from the 4th and 3rd gens are bolt-on compatible but use a 170 tyre instead of a 180 strictly speaking, although I have heard of people using 180 rubbers on the 170 rim.

I've been looking over the new CB1000R at the dealers (not thinking of buying, just admiring) and I am convinced the rear wheel at least is a direct bolt-on option... not sure about the front wheel though...

cb1000rgr7.jpg

I'm 99% sure the 96 (4th gen) front wheel and rotors are NOT compatible with the 98 (5th gen) VFR. The VTEC (6th gen) wheels are identical to the 5th gen ones, so there's an ample source... from 98 to 08, ten years worth of production, I've scored a spare set and a 3rd front over the years for 1/3 the price new...

The rear wheel from the 4th and 3rd gens are bolt-on compatible but use a 170 tyre instead of a 180 strictly speaking, although I have heard of people using 180 rubbers on the 170 rim.

I would say also a 4th gen front is diffrent. It use a diffrent brake disc, so...

for the rear, the 3rd gen have a 5,5 rear like the 5th gen=> so will fit a 180. only the 4th gen have a 5,0 rear that is for a max 170 only.

• Member Contributer

They're definitely different; but the question was, would it fit!

The forks are 10mm wider apart on the 800 and the discs are the same dimensions... Although the wheel hub is also wider, I don't think it is wide enough to make up the difference. So, without spacers on the discs, the wheels won't swap. I note that the axles on the 800s are longer, too.

Ciao,

Just look for a front rim from 1998 - 2008, less hassle, not that hard to find really... I would sell you my 3rd spare front (without rotors), but I live in Spain and reckon the postage would have you lose the advantage of buying secondhand...

Archived