Oem Hardbag Installation Instructions

massvfr

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

Just purchased some OEM hardbags :biggrin: from another member but he didn't have the mounting instructions. I've seen enough posts to recognize that attempting to install them without the instructions would be a brain teaser (or just cruel and unusual punishment) and I don't have that type of time. I've read that the instructions aren't great, but I'm a visual learner so something is better than nothing.

If you're able to post 'em up that would be great. If you'd prefer to email, fax or snail mail a copy, please pm for more details.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
Hi all,

Just purchased some OEM hardbags :biggrin: from another member but he didn't have the mounting instructions. I've seen enough posts to recognize that attempting to install them without the instructions would be a brain teaser (or just cruel and unusual punishment) and I don't have that type of time. I've read that the instructions aren't great, but I'm a visual learner so something is better than nothing.

If you're able to post 'em up that would be great. If you'd prefer to email, fax or snail mail a copy, please pm for more details.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm assuming this is a sixth gen.

I have the instructions, but I'm at work right now. I will tell you this, they are very easy to install:

- have your passenger foot pegs on

- have your passenger grab bars off and the cover plates off

- bolt the top bracket in to the pass. grab bar holes (2 bolts), each side

- bolt the front "fork" of the bracket to the rear hole on your pass foot pegs. You can opt to drill it out to 12mm and use the spacer or just run the bolt through it.

- On the two brackets you just installed, there are two bolt holes in the rear on each. Link these with the metal bracket that has "wings" (you see what I mean).

This is enough if you want to be done. The brackets will hold fine. If you want to finish it off:

- bolt the 45 degree bracket to the bracket with wings and then to the underside of your fender

I have (had, whoops) a fender eliminator, so install was super easy.

Hopefully this gets you started.

I dont have a way to scan or fax the sheets but I can give you the order..

Install the long L shaped bracket under the fender first

Remove license plate holder and light.

Drill the 2 holes that pass thru the fender and license bracket to 12mm

install the Y shaped bracket behind license plate, This is the one mentioned above with the ears.

Drilling the pasenger pegs to 12mm is optional as I just hammered the bushings into mine

install hanger brackets under grab handles

Make sure alll bolts are loose then go back and tighten them.

I didnt drill the bolt holes in my fender either but my plate hangs kinda loose now too..

there is more but for the details your going to need the instructions..

• Member Contributer

Sorry for any miscommunication....

Looking for 6th Gen Side bag installation instructions. I appreciate the written instructions and suggestions but I'll need to see pictures (there's a reason why I teach art!).

BTW, in searching the forum, there is mention of a "westernmassriding" link. I've had that bookmarked for almost 2 years but it's no longer being hosted. Anyone know how to find that site or have it archived and can forward the contents?

Thanks to all.

• Member Contributer

I posted a "how to" on installing a long time ago, but I didn't find it using the search function. Here are the photos from the post. Without going into detail, bolt everything up loosely, and then tighten only after every bolt has been started. The person I made the post for also asked how the bags attached to the brackets, so I've included the hard bag attachment photos too.

gallery_382_24_150773.jpg

Bag Mount.JPG

gallery_382_24_37064.jpg

Bag Mount (1).JPG

gallery_382_24_150117.jpg

Bag Mount (2).JPG

gallery_382_24_212857.jpg

Bag Mount (3).JPG

gallery_382_24_11160.jpg

Bag Mount (4).JPG

gallery_382_24_13378.jpg

Bag Mount (5).JPG

gallery_382_24_75587.jpg

Bag Mount (6).JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This board is great :huh: ...many members offered to help (thanks Bad Boy) and I was able to install 'em last weekend. Great piece of gear!

• 3 months later...

Pictures worth a thousand words..........Thx,and well done..........I'll be receiving my bags in a few days.....pic's make life easy..Monk

tbzep........Thx for the pic's....I received and installed my new bags yesterday....With the help of your pic's and keeping everything loose .... There was no problem on the install.......

Some things I noticed during install. The size of the hole (12mm) in the rear peg brace is correct on mine (no inlargement),but I still had to inlarge the mud guard holes...........Monk

tbzep........Thx for the pic's....I received and installed my new bags yesterday....With the help of your pic's and keeping everything loose .... There was no problem on the install.......

Some things I noticed during install. The size of the hole (12mm) in the rear peg brace is correct on mine (no inlargement),but I still had to inlarge the mud guard holes...........Monk

By the way,I weighed the bags if anyone's interested. They weigh 9 lbs. a piece.

I also ordered some "black" reflective tape for the (black) back part of the bags. Has any one used this stuff ? I have once it lights up the night !!!!

• Member Contributer
I also ordered some "black" reflective tape for the (black) back part of the bags. Has any one used this stuff ? I have once it lights up the night !!!!

I bought some from Aerostich but haven't installed any yet. I've ridden with others that have it and your right about seeing daylight when it's lit up!

Just remember that you have the bags on. If you are parked in a tight space in you garage and you forget about them.

You will need to explain 'dear how did those marks get on your car door' :goofy:

gallery_16535_4484_362548.jpg

MY CAMERA SHOTS 184.jpg

gallery_16535_4484_452741.jpg

MY CAMERA SHOTS 183.jpg

gallery_16535_4484_500802.jpg

MY CAMERA SHOTS 182.jpg

gallery_16535_4484_704177.jpg

MY CAMERA SHOTS 181.jpg

gallery_16535_4484_259150.jpg

MY CAMERA SHOTS 180.jpg

I just noticed what I look like,when I'm trying look at the cameras viewing screen,when I'm not wearing my glasses. It showed up in my mc mirrors....Monk

Archived