Anyone Using An Electric Vest?

backonabike

• Member Contributer

Anyone using an electric vest? It's starting to feel a little nippy up here at night so I was wondering if a heated vest would stretch my season. How cool can you ride comfortably with one? Any recommended brands? And finally with heated grips which I have is there any risk of over taxing the electrical system on the VFR? ( We all Know that this would be extremely uncommon tongue.gif)

• Member Contributer

I'm about two seasons on a Gerbings electric jacket liner...once it gets down below 45 degrees it's really nice. Last year I added the gerbings g3 gloves. They're pretty price and not that comfortable....but there warm

I have higher wattage headlight bulbs (looking for HID replacements) and running the jacket liner, gloves and high and low headlight beams, have not had any problems.

It's amazing how with the right heated gear...you can ride into the 20 degree area!

If I were you, spend the extra few bucks and get the jacket liner, not the vest...and get the optional (with gerbings) on/off switch at least.

Happy riding! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Widder System 2 Lectric vest. I wouldn't leave home without it. Even in the summer.

With the vest and my heated grips I did a 3500mi trip. 12 hours a day on the bike. Temperatures range from 26-76 in one day (GA mountains to Myrtle beach) I was comfortable. I spent many many hours in 20-30 degrees. I was good. I am one to get cold easily too...

Vests are generally in the neighborhood of 35 watts. If your electric system is in good order, you will be more than fine.

• Member Contributer
talk to Peto. He was raving about his vest in the Catskills. I was jealous.

haha. hey Tim. I was raving cause I was warm.

backonabike: GEt yourself an underarmor cold gear shirt too. I would suggest a vest one size less than your suit size. Wearing the vest snuggly over a thin shirt will keep the warth on your body so you feel/use the heat. I also wear a riding suit with a water/wind proof liner.

Cycle the vest/grips on/off. USe the vents in your riding gear with and without the vest on. YOu will be able to stay real comfortable.

I use an Aerostich Kanetsu (blue) electric vest. It's a bit on the thick side, but quite warm, and helps block the wind as well.

Were I in the market for one now, I'd probably buy a heated jacket, like the Tourmaster one, which has had some good reviews.

Anyone using an electric vest? It's starting to feel a little nippy up here at night so I was wondering if a heated vest would stretch my season. How cool can you ride comfortably with one? Any recommended brands? And finally with heated grips which I have is there any risk of over taxing the electrical system on the VFR? ( We all Know that this would be extremely uncommon tongue.gif)

The Widder brand is excellent. It's modular so you can add sleeves, gloves, and chaps. Very well designed and made. Lots of options for connectors, switches and T-stats.

I use the Gerbing liner and gloves in the cold. If I get caught out somewhere without them, I have heated grips for backup. I also installed a volt meter on the dash though for monitoring. That makes it easy to turn things down or off if voltage gets too low. I've tried vests in the past, but for some reason the inside of my arms always get cold from the wind. The liner takes care of this issue.

My electrical accessories that I have used simultaneously without problem include Gerbing jacket liner, heated grips (low setting) and gps (minimal draw). At idle speeds it taxes the system, but underway no problem accordimg to the voltage meter.

I have a tourmaster synergy heated jacket liner and have run it with temps in the 30s, it has 3 settings and I only made it about 5 miles with it on high, way to warm (sweating), medium setting is good for running 80 on the interstate.

I have higher wattage headlight bulbs (looking for HID replacements)...

I posted info on another site on good hid kits for Viffers, from an excellent vendor, and with installation instructions and pics. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to share the wealth.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Carry on!

• Member Contributer

I posted info on another site on good hid kits for Viffers, from an excellent vendor, and with installation instructions and pics. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to share the wealth.

post up the info on the hids. you might want to start a new topic though so every one can find it.

I use the Gerbing's heated jacket liner, gloves and socks. One of the best purchases I've made. I can ride down to about 15f depending on how fast I go. Make sure the vest/jacket fits snug; it makes a big difference. I also have the temp regulator. I have them for 5 years and not had single problem and use them a lot.

post up the info on the hids. you might want to start a new topic though so every one can find it.

Will someone PLEASE tell me how to start a new thread? I can't for the life of me figure it out. I didn't think I was this dense.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Will someone PLEASE tell me how to start a new thread? I can't for the life of me figure it out. I didn't think I was this dense.

Thanks.

Hey don't sweat it if I can do it anyone can. Click on forums up toward the left hand corner, then click on the forum that is what you want to talk about, then there is a box that says new topic on the top right. That's it.

I ride lots of cold miles in Alberta. I have used an AeroStich headed jacket liner, an AeroStick Airvantage electric vest and a Gerbing vest. The Aerostich wires simply do not hold up. I ended up ripping apart the jacket after one riding season to fix at least 8 broken wires. I have had better luck with the vest but have been very careful about not stuffing it in cases. The Gerbing has a life time warrenty and frankly I think is a better garment.

The Airvantage vest "blows up" to seal around you. That aspect works very well. If you are riding below freezing, go with a full electric jacket. Put the electric garmet on over light clothing and draw the electric elements against you by putting a back protector over the electric linner (not under it). Any insulting layers should be over the electric linner.

I ride to about -15C as long as the roads are clear of snow. Seal around your neck with a neck tube.

Archived