New Hampshire Mountain Ride

• Member Contributer

med_gallery_2237_4221_173398.jpg

NH Mountains Ride Report

October 11, 2008

This was the ride that was planned, then not to be, then planned again. Our original date of Sep27 got washed out with some torrential downpours, and after riding the route yesterday, I’m glad we didn’t try it in the rain!

So…here goes. Got up at the crack of dawn. The bike was already prepped, GPS mounted, loose change easily accessible for the tolls, tools packed away, ready to roll.

gallery_2237_4221_679330.jpg

100_1817.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_240763.jpg

100_1816.JPG

The thermometer read 37 degrees, so I threw on a couple of extra layers and hit the road. After the 100 mile highway ride to the meet in Lincoln, NH, I’m seriously thinking about investing in a heated vest. Even with the layers, it was a cold ride, ranging from 33 – 39 degrees. The leather kept my legs warm, the turtle shell kept my head warm, my winter riding gloves did only fair keeping my hands warm (heated grips might be coming, too), but the layers didn’t do so hot for my arms and torso. I should have at least put on a wool sweater to help keep the heat in. Live and learn.

The hot coffee was a welcome feeling when I finally rolled in to McDonald’s in Lincoln. It’s always interesting getting to a meet first, not knowing who will show up, and not having ever met the guys you are about to ride with. After about a half hour, we had a total of six riders – Brent (bjz), Travis (Scrap), Kelly (Kel), Brian (not sure of the screen name), Jim (NHVFR), and myself. Chris (Bruckner) from Montreal is supposed to meet up with us in North Conway for lunch. After all the introductions, shooting the breeze, and coffee drinking, we mounted up and headed off to the Kancamagus about 9:30AM.

Columbus Day weekend in New England is notorious for extremely heavy traffic because of the beautiful fall colors. These very slow drivers are affectionately known as “leaf-peepers.” So the plan was to spend the bulk of the day on some out of the way back roads to avoid the heavier traffic. For the most part, it worked!

If you are in New England and have not ridden Hurricane Mountain Road, it is a must. It's not a road that you can rail on, but it is so steep and technical, you don't believe it until you actually ride it. It's basically a slightly larger than one-lane road with twists, dips, climbs, huge elevation changes, and lots of surprises. This was adventure #1.

At the end, we turned onto route 113 up towards Evans Notch. We stopped for some pictures at a spot called the Basin.

gallery_2237_4221_824958.jpg

100_1821.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_134158.jpg

100_1822.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_126034.jpg

100_1823.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_181994.jpg

100_1824.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_623180.jpg

100_1825.JPG

It would be nice to know on a map what roads are paved and which ones are not. Three times in this ride, we came to a particular road that I had mapped into the itinerary only to find it is unpaved gravel. The first was Butterhill Rd. off of 113. The second was Jefferson Notch Rd. off of route 2 past Gorham. The third, which I'll mention later, is Sandwich Notch Rd. between Sandwich and route 49.

As we made our way up Evans Notch, the leaf colors were just spectacular. There was a stretch on 113 where the trees made a sort of canopy over the road clothed in bright, bright yellow. From 113 we went across route 2 and then down 16 by Mount Washington to get back to North Conway for lunch.

We met up with Chris (Bruckner) at the Moat Mountain Smokehouse for lunch. Great place by the way. Good call Kel! Here's a few pics of the bikes.

gallery_2237_4221_496956.jpg

100_1834.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_495118.jpg

100_1833.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_268381.jpg

100_1832.JPG

Heres some mug shots at lunch.

Brian and Jim

gallery_2237_4221_347751.jpg

100_1831.JPG

Kelly

gallery_2237_4221_690221.jpg

100_1830.JPG

Travis

gallery_2237_4221_557724.jpg

100_1829.JPG

Brent

gallery_2237_4221_265742.jpg

100_1828.JPG

After lunch we headed south on 16 to 113 below Mount Chocorua. We stopped at the lake for a few more pictures.

gallery_2237_4221_497539.jpg

100_1839.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_457511.jpg

100_1838.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_593020.jpg

100_1837.JPG

gallery_2237_4221_652748.jpg

100_1836.JPG

And as promised...our ride turned into quite an adventure - adventure #2. As we approached Sandwich Notch Road, we realized that this was another of those unmarked, unpaved roads to nowhere. We talked about riding around another way, but after some quizzical looks at one another, the consensus was to give it a try. The road was roughly 8 miles from where we were to where we needed to go. So up we went. Was it a mistake? Well, a couple of the guys might say it was. The road was VERY rough, narrow, gullied, with loose gravel, muddy spots, steep inclines...you get the picture. I led the way and had all I could do to keep it upright and pointed in the right direction. I didn't stop to take pictures. If I did, I'm sure there would be some raised eyebrows and outright laughter at what we attempted. But all in all, we made it up and over. Unfortunately one of the riders dumped his bike when the front wheel caught a rut, and Kel lost his fork seal. Overall I'd say that the VFR is no KTM, but given what it just did, I'm more impressed with it than ever.

A parting picture.

gallery_2237_4221_19061.jpg

100_1840.JPG

I wish I had a better camera, a mounted camera, and a mounted video cam to capture these moments. All in all, this is a ride I will NEVER forget. Thanks guys for joining and making it a spectacular day. Looking forward to riding with you all again.

~Chris

• Member Contributer

Great write up Chris and thanks for the picture of my Dad at the Moat. Looks like I have 2 glass eyes and one has a toe out problem! :huh: I don't think anyone can picture "The Road" but I must say, I do like a little adventure. I alternated between laughing and saying out loud WTF! The funny part was that a 4x4 truck was actually holding us up! :goofy: I am very impressed with the VFR and it's prowess in many roles. It can carve, it can tour, and it can hillclimb! Bravo! Nice pics.

Great report Chris! Thanks again for leading the ride...even with the adventure trail. My girlfriend and I did another 100 miles two up today going from one art studio to another on the Monadnock Art tour. All day long I kept thinking I was hearing an unusual rattle or vibration but the old girl just keeps on running fault free and ready for my morning commute tomorrow. Gotta love a bike that can rail on Saturday, two up Sunday and be ready for an early morning slog for 35 miles to work Monday morning. If this bike were a car it would be a WRX STI.

• Member Contributer

More Jealousy. First I miss Seb's ride and now this one. Having to work some weekends sucks. I have much respect for you guys for trail blazing on VFR's. I have shortcut out of my neighborhood that takes me down a dirt road that is flat but it has a couple of nasty 90 degree turns on it and a mean high centered crown, this is about as off road as I ever want to get on my viffer. I look forward to meeting and riding with you guys in the future. Keep the rubber side down. :fing02:

Well y'all are tough! I guess in the old days Kel would have signed me up first, many dirt roads logged with him on his VFR and my old Hurricane. I remember one time in particular going into a small park near Pawtuckaway when we both thought that we saw tears streaming out of a certain rider's helmet on a FZR wink.gif when we had to ford a beaver dam overflowing across a dirt road. I hope to get back from North Carolina to NH for a spin next year sometime. Thanks for sharing your ride with this Newhampsterite lost in the south. Bart (Gen 5 VFR800FI)

Great write up Chris and thanks for the picture of my Dad at the Moat. Looks like I have 2 glass eyes and one has a toe out problem! :dry: I don't think anyone can picture "The Road" but I must say, I do like a little adventure. I alternated between laughing and saying out loud WTF! The funny part was that a 4x4 truck was actually holding us up! :fing02: I am very impressed with the VFR and it's prowess in many roles. It can carve, it can tour, and it can hillclimb! Bravo! Nice pics.

• Member Contributer
Well y'all are tough! I guess in the old days Kel would have signed me up first, many dirt roads logged with him on his VFR and my old Hurricane. I remember one time in particular going into a small park near Pawtuckaway when we both thought that we saw tears streaming out of a certain rider's helmet on a FZR wink.gif when we had to ford a beaver dam overflowing across a dirt road. I hope to get back from North Carolina to NH for a spin next year sometime. Thanks for sharing your ride with this Newhampsterite lost in the south. Bart (Gen 5 VFR800FI)
Great write up Chris and thanks for the picture of my Dad at the Moat. Looks like I have 2 glass eyes and one has a toe out problem! :dry: I don't think anyone can picture "The Road" but I must say, I do like a little adventure. I alternated between laughing and saying out loud WTF! The funny part was that a 4x4 truck was actually holding us up! :fing02: I am very impressed with the VFR and it's prowess in many roles. It can carve, it can tour, and it can hillclimb! Bravo! Nice pics.

Yea, up to the pegs in swamp water! I remember it like it was yesterday. BC, this dirt road was worse than Round Pond!

You need to hook up with some local VFRD boys there in NC, there are plenty. Probably still in the 70's down there huh?

Sounds like fun - except for the offroading/blowing fork seals part... It was 85 deg in Maryland on Sat... probably close to that in NC! Bastages - it was 42 when I went riding yesterday morning!

Hey Chris,

Looks like another great ride. Sorry I missed this one. We will have to do another west Mass. ride next year. smile.gif P.S. Heated grips and a heated vest are worth the money!! They work great. :offtopic:

-Bliss-

Great report. I miss the roads up there so much. Lived in Milford for five years before coming back to Kentucky. Loved pulling out fo the driveway right into some great roads and rides. There are some good roads here but nothing like what was up there. Hoping to go out tomorrow if the rain is not too much. Low 80s today but only in the the 60s tomorrow.

Archived