Trailer Wheel Chock

briguy_78

• Member Contributer
Baxley, Condor, Wheeldock, and the Harbor Freight units all require tying down the bike and compressing the suspension to some degree.

The exception seems to be the Pit Bull unit, but it appears it cannot be used on a bike with a single sided swingarm, so it would be useless to me.

I'm not sure about the Condor, but the Baxley and Wheeldock hold the front of the bike well enough that tie downs are not necessary. The HF, Powerstands (which I have), and most others still require tie downs. They are nice, because they will hold the bike upright for you while you install tie downs, and keep the front tire/forks from moving around while in transport.

The Pitbull does not require any tie downs, but you are correct that it will not work with the VFR's SSSA.

The Condor will hold the bike up without support but I sure wouldn't transport it that way, there isn't anything keeping the wheel in the chock except the weight of the bike. I don't compress the front forks at all, I just run straps from the fork tubes below the triple tree over my bike support frame and down to the trailer. That keeps the bikes from rocking too much. I would like to try something like the Pit Bull for the rear some day.

• Member Contributer
Don't forget to check out Harfor Freight. I have three pairs of these & they work great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=96349

I have two of these, and they work well (have only used one of them twice so far). Someone, I believe on this forum, clued us in on a sale on these for $19.95 each and, as I recall, that included shipping. Hard to resist at that price.

• Member Contributer

I also have two of the Condor trailer only units, have used them for a wide variety of motorcycles. I mount either one or both of them to my trailer, a Triton Aluminum utilityTrailer, I can mount the chocks, load two bikes in fifteen minutes. My VFR is secured with two tie downs, attached to each of the passenger peg brackets, then to points on the trailer floor about a foot in front of the pegs, the length of the tie downs is only about a foot and half. The front forks are only compressed about two inches.

I have transported two bikes from Chicago to Seattle, and back to Chicago, over all kids of roads, from interstates to no roads at all, with no ill effects what so ever. The tow vehicle used is a VW Passat 4Motion wagon, it will get 26 mpg on trips when towing at 70 mph.

• Member Contributer
The Condor will hold the bike up without support but I sure wouldn't transport it that way, there isn't anything keeping the wheel in the chock except the weight of the bike. I don't compress the front forks at all, I just run straps from the fork tubes below the triple tree over my bike support frame and down to the trailer. That keeps the bikes from rocking too much. I would like to try something like the Pit Bull for the rear some day.

Sounds like the Condor is like the Powerstands and Harbor Freight chocks.

The Baxley and the Wheeldock actually grip the front tire in such a way that the bike cannot fall over without tipping the wheel chock over with it, so if you bolt down the wheel chock, there is no need for front tie downs.

Example Video

Archived