Big Bear Sun 8/31

bigbear083108020.jpg

the more things change, the more they stay the same...

bigbear083108014.jpg

Well, it was a heckuva day today. Riding with us today was shaynej, jbaxx, redneck7769, wheatie, toddulu, and hidesertmlb. Started off at a gas-less gas station... go figure. Anyone needing gas had to drive 2 miles south to VALERO (figures) to gas up...

Had a couple people not make the trip today, one had a vise-grip on his manhood, another had a 'relative' magically show up, and another had lost his clutch the night before... So we started off at 8:30a with just the 6 of us.

We made it to the 2nd turn of 18 when we saw our first CHP. No biggie, everyone just over the speed limit. Continued at a fairly reasonable pace up towards Rim of the World, traffic wasn't too bad.

bigbear083108001.jpg

We passed Arrowbear and headed down the freshly-paved "Artic Circle". Had quite a bit of fun transitioning through the esses, then got caught up behind a SUV. Normally this is rather aggreviating, but this nice little silver Lexus was holding his own through the turns. Comes to find out he must have been undercover CHP, because at the 2nd to last sweeper, he pulls over and lets us pass. My brain tells my right hand to YANK IT OPEN... JBAXX on my tail twitching for some HP... REDNECK close behind downshifting... just as I hit the apex, WHAMMO! CHP on the opposite shoulder... Uh, do I take off and let the rest fend for themselves? Do I slam on the brake and wait for impact from behind? Do I thank the Lexus gods for keeping us restrained as long as they did? Option C. I barely rolled off the throttle, quick check of the mirrors, and kept going. When we stopped a couple miles ahead everyone had their version of that 'critical time' when they were just about to 'open her up'...

After a quick gas-up, we head down the backside of 18 towards Lucerne Valley. Not a whole lot of traffic, but enough to keep the pace rather moderate. We approached a TOO-FRESHLY PAVED section and slid the rears around for a 1/4 mile, nothing uncontrollable and keep on through the turns. Hit the bottom... long straight-away ahead... should I?

5 miles later at the CHEVRON, we pull off for a quick top-off and bathroom break. That's when we see JTG fly by on his way back up the mountain. The jokes on him because not even a mile ahead of him was the 3rd CHP we had seen that day... Don't try to play it off Jon, I know it was you... We say goodbye to Todd and head back towards the mountain via Victorville. Slow, easy going, nothing fast. Except the occasional wind gust that throws us into the 'bike leaning hard left, rider maintaining upright position, going straight' situation that I'm sure is nothing new to anyone in a wind-prone area...

about "45 minutes" after we left Todd, we end up at our lunch destination. Neo's Burgers... home of the "Best Burgers on the Mountain"...

bigbear083108024.jpg

bigbear083108023.jpg

bigbear083108022.jpg

After lunch, Jerry proceeds to explain to the group the inner-most workings of the Honda VTEC system... on a car... Pictured above is Redneck sawing logs in his head... Thanks Jerry!

We head back down the mountain, closely approaching 2:30pm. Ride was supposed to last until 1:00pm. Blame it on the traffic. Should be easier in about a month or two. Before the snow...

We all stop off at the CHEVRON at the bottom of 330. Gas up, explain the process for making tea... start planning the next Palomar trip. Looks like we'll meet up at Rednecks house on Friday night, drink till we puke, then start our ride on Saturday around 4:30pm......

Thanks everyone for enduring a rather long day of traffic-twisties, I know it can be a drag but at least we all had fun (except for Scott on the backside of 18, not a happy camper)

Till next time...

shayne

bigbear083108003.jpg

I hear you about LEO. I say this guy hulling ass on Ortega today.

ortega08312008-128.jpg

ortega08312008-137.jpg

He even stopped and asked what I was doing. I told him to mind his own Fing business and he left with his tail between his legs (what I really wanted to say); I told him I was just taking pictures of bikers (what I actually said).

See Shayne, the wife did loosen the grip a little.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to confuse people, I'll go ahead and spell out the map...

Starting at Waterman/40th (A). Heading up the 18 to Arrowhead turning right, follow 18 around to Big Bear, then down Cusheman Grade to Lucerne Valley (B), where Toddulu will depart for Vegas. From (B) we head west to Apple Valley, cut across Hesperia to 173 then the 138. Left at 138 up to Crestline, follow 18 around to Neo's (C) for lunch. After lunch depart down the 330 to gas station for fuel/depart (D)

MEETUP: 8:00am

DEPART: 8:30am

LUNCH: 11:30am

FINISH: 1:00pm

• Member Contributer
Not to confuse people, I'll go ahead and spell out the map...

Starting at Waterman/40th (A). Heading up the 18 to Arrowhead turning right, follow 18 around to Big Bear, then down Cusheman Grade to Lucerne Valley (B), where Toddulu will depart for Vegas. From (B) we head west to Apple Valley, cut across Hesperia to 173 then the 138. Left at 138 up to Crestline, follow 18 around to Neo's (C) for lunch. After lunch depart down the 330 to gas station for fuel/depart (D)

MEETUP: 8:00am

DEPART: 8:30am

LUNCH: 11:30am

FINISH: 1:00pm

I'm in............ :angry: :fing02:

• Member Contributer

If the wife give me my crown jewels back, I'll ride with you guys on Sunday. Right now they're in a pretty tight vice and they hurt like hell. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
If the wife give me my crown jewels back, I'll ride with you guys on Sunday. Right now they're in a pretty tight vice and they hurt like hell. :ohmy:

Man, you got me goin' on that one ! ! ! LOL :fing02: :blush:

If the wife give me my crown jewels back, I'll ride with you guys on Sunday. Right now they're in a pretty tight vice and they hurt like hell. :fing02:

flowers...

chocolate...

some sappy poem you wrote (or copied out of a hallmark card)...

puppy...

kitten...

tickets to the opera...

wash her car...

cook dinner...

just trying to help...

If the wife give me my crown jewels back, I'll ride with you guys on Sunday. Right now they're in a pretty tight vice and they hurt like hell. :blush:

flowers...

chocolate...

some sappy poem you wrote (or copied out of a hallmark card)...

puppy...

kitten...

tickets to the opera...

wash her car...

cook dinner...

just trying to help...

"Cat Herder", & "Tamer of Wives". This is why Shayne is able to have a girlfriend and ride whenever the hell he feels like... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

OOOOOO, the back side of 18 from Lucern even :blush:

Dammit Shayne, you're making me jealous :fing02:

OOOOOO, the back side of 18 from Lucern even :blush:

Dammit Shayne, you're making me jealous :fing02:

Me? Making YOU jealous? I'd rather move all my belongings half way across the state... I'd have to say you're making ME jealous...

PS. Those suctions cups on your mohawk should stick to the top of the UHAUL... send pics...

• Member Contributer
We've got a special guest from Vegas coming through our area on Sunday morning.

MEETUP: N. WATERMAN (HWY 18) 1st gas station on left (about 3 miles North of 210) corner of N. WATERMAN/E. 40TH STREET

MEETUP TIME: 8:00am

Looks like more interest in this ride as opposed to Saturday, so I'm 80/20 gonna make this one instead.

BTW, last time I was at that gas station it was a SHELL station. Hopefully, it's not a VALERO station now. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

How great is this. I was going to have to bail on the Saturday ride because some gave my wife 2 tickets to the nascar race on that day. But for Sunday you can count me in. Maybe just maybe I'll have the Rc up by then for a test ride. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
Dang! Lunch at Neo's- I just might have to go. You sure know how to herd VFRD west coast folk, Shayne!

Yeah, I herd about you, Shayne :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
How great is this. I was going to have to bail on the Saturday ride because some gave my wife 2 tickets to the nascar race on that day. But for Sunday you can count me in. Maybe just maybe I'll have the Rc up by then for a test ride. :rolleyes:

There's gotta be a TON of Redneck / Nascar jokes here, Anyone? Shayne?

If you've ever spelled anything in Christmas lights...

TRUE STORY:

my next door neighbor leaves his chrismas lights on his house all year round. Doesn't turn them on till Thanksgiving, and is the funniest thing to sit outside and listen to him grumble as he climbs the ladder and rotates the bulbs a quarter turn (sunlight fades the big ones!)...

Me, being of good-spirited cheer and happiness, decided to do a similiar idea on MY HOUSE. So, I researched, and checked, and researched, and checked, and realized I was going to end up spending a healthy amount of pocket change for what I was looking for... but I did. And so now I can happily say that I keep my christmas lights on my house year round too. But... mine are a 175 foot triple strand LED rope light connected to a motion controller that can change the lights through 6 different sequences included sound activation... AND SUNLIGHT-PROOF!

I can't wait till Thanksgiving this year!!!

• Member Contributer

TRUE STORY:

my next door neighbor leaves his chrismas lights on his house all year round. Doesn't turn them on till Thanksgiving, and is the funniest thing to sit outside and listen to him grumble as he climbs the ladder and rotates the bulbs a quarter turn (sunlight fades the big ones!)...

Me, being of good-spirited cheer and happiness, decided to do a similiar idea on MY HOUSE. So, I researched, and checked, and researched, and checked, and realized I was going to end up spending a healthy amount of pocket change for what I was looking for... but I did. And so now I can happily say that I keep my christmas lights on my house year round too. But... mine are a 175 foot triple strand LED rope light connected to a motion controller that can change the lights through 6 different sequences included sound activation... AND SUNLIGHT-PROOF!

I can't wait till Thanksgiving this year!!!

I'll bring all my chorus buddies over for a sing-along Xmas eve..... ! Ha Ha Ha........ You in, JBAXX ? Redneck ?

• Member Contributer
What does NASCAR stand for?

Non Athletic Sport Created Around Rednecks.

Something like that, but it's spelled B O R I N G ! ! !

• Member Contributer

Sorry to bang on ya Greg, but:

"If you used zip-ties and duct tape to get your RC ready for Sunday's ride...

You might be a redneck"!

And actually, I hope you have a good time at the race, I'd go too if I had tix.

• Member Contributer

Well JBAXX i refuse to watch it on TV because, to quote Wheatie it is B O R I N G, however to actually go is fun. It doesn't hurt that my oldest daughter won the tickets on the radio so entrance is free. Besides that i don't think the guy who brings a CBR :wub: to a VFR ride has much room to call this redneck a redneck at all. :unsure:

And no the RC will not be making this ride. :idea3:

Archived