Led Bulbs

KevCarver

Question

• Member Contributer

Checking out some LED options for one of my bikes, and I was wondering if anyone here is using LED replacements for brake, tail, signal lights? I had a couple several years ago that didn't last too long before breaking. I found a website from China that sells a vast variety of LED options for any and all auto/cycle lights, but I'm wary of the quality. I suppose most products are made there and sold from companies here, but still...

In any case, are there quality companies out there that any of y'all use. I found out with a GPS power cord that motorcycle specific can be important. Especially in V motors! Vibrations can wreck week circuit boards. How about resistors for the blinkers? Got any cheap DIY Radio Shack solutions?

I really like this style, as it emulates the performance of a standard incandescent bulb. Since it's shoved up into a large open taillight, I figure that would work better than a flat one.

These are two different companies, by the way:

pic106941.jpg

001.jpg

8 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
SUPERLUMINATION :laugh:

Very quick responses to any email questions you may have.

I also have a set of front/rear 24led 7440/7443 with load resistors required and a flashing taillight relay if you're interested.

Greg

Greg,

Are the load resistors required for just replacement taillight bulbs or is it for the directionals?

I'm looking to put LED's on my 85 VF1000R project. (not sure the bulb size off hand)

• Member Contributer

I also have a set of front/rear 24led 7440/7443 with load resistors required and a flashing taillight relay if you're interested.

Greg

Sweet, I like the site so far. I'm not sure what the 7440/7443 bulbs are. I'm after the bayonet style at the moment, not VFR. I dig those "Spider" bulbs. I may try those out. Gotta figure out how much room I have in the tail light of my PC800. Pretty sure I have a lot.

Am I correct that only the flashers need the resistors? Should I use white in a colored tail lens? The incandescent bulbs are clear, but I don't know how the led brightness factors in.

Just got around to reading the Superbrightleds.com website and it answers these questions!

Greg

Sweet, I like the site so far. I'm not sure what the 7440/7443 bulbs are. I'm after the bayonet style at the moment, not VFR. I dig those "Spider" bulbs. I may try those out. Gotta figure out how much room I have in the tail light of my PC800. Pretty sure I have a lot.

Am I correct that only the flashers need the resistors? Should I use white in a colored tail lens? The incandescent bulbs are clear, but I don't know how the led brightness factors in.

Just got around to reading the Superbrightleds.com website and it answers these questions!

Either load resistors or a digital flash relay slow the flash rate of the signals only.

Always use the color of the lense for your bulb. (except if they're clear).

White under red for example, would actually 'wash' out the color, making it less intense, which is not so good...

VFRDYLAN, I hope this answers your question as well. I'm guessing that your bulbs are more like the old 1156/1157 car style.

If not, I'm sure you'll bike the right ones on the site. They even have a bulb dimension chart if you're still not sure what you have/need.

Greg :idea3:

• Member Contributer
Either load resistors or a digital flash relay slow the flash rate of the signals only.

Always use the color of the lense for your bulb. (except if they're clear).

White under red for example, would actually 'wash' out the color, making it less intense, which is not so good...

VFRDYLAN, I hope this answers your question as well. I'm guessing that your bulbs are more like the old 1156/1157 car style.

If not, I'm sure you'll bike the right ones on the site. They even have a bulb dimension chart if you're still not sure what you have/need.

Greg :laugh:

Greg,

I beleive I have 1157 on the bike. I'm going to take some measurements and see how much clearance I have for the Eye 5 led bulbs from superluminations.

Thanks

Dylan

• Member Contributer

Does not have to be digital, a capacitor-type flasher should work fine. The only kind of relay that does not like LEDs is the good old thermal flasher with bi-metallic contacts. Unfortunately, it happens to be the most common type of flasher...

Archived