Lascar Voltmeter Acting Up

turtlecreek

I bought a LASCAR voltmeter and have been running on my VFR just fine.

http://www.lascarelectronics.com/pdf-usb-d...01208251476.pdf

Well, while riding a 150 miles in a down poor, the meter started acting up and actually stopped running during the ride. fast forward to today:

it is reading again and for a while read correctly, but now it is reading 4-6 volts off (staying up around 16-18V). it is sporadic and before anyone asks, i checked the voltage with a meter at the battery and it correct: 12.6ishV at idle, 14.2ish V at 5k.

cause number one would be that the unit IS NOT water proof and now the electronics are screwed up (corrosion in the unit?)

besides the unit being faulty, does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this behavior?

• Member Contributer

I have used Lascar meters, although not outdoors. I'm not surprised heavy rain caused problems to your voltmeter - after all, it's only "splashproof", not "waterproof". Try drying it out, then maybe seal its back side (where the wires come out) with silicone?

I have used Lascar meters, although not outdoors. I'm not surprised heavy rain caused problems to your voltmeter - after all, it's only "splashproof", not "waterproof". Try drying it out, then maybe seal its back side (where the wires come out) with silicone?

thanks. i knew i should have done this but was too lazy....now it appears to be toast.

• Member Contributer

Hello:

I recently installed this very same voltmeter on my bike. I was sure to use silicon sealant between the voltmeter and that little rubber grommet, which came with the meter.

Also, when I was researching this on-line, they suggested installing a diode, which I did. They were saying that the diode was necessary for “automotive” installations, which I assumed had to include motorcycles.

I’ve just poked around a bit, and I now can see no reference to the diode. However, when I ordered mine, the diode part number was included in the data sheet. I ordered that separately, and installed it.

I’m ASSUMING that is the issue here. So, I’d suggest calling them and ordering the diode. It sounds like your voltmeter is toast. I think the diode will help in the replacement.

My voltmeter has not yet been subjected to a “rain test,” so, I’ll see how it survives in the future.

EDIT/UPDATE:

OOPS!!! WRONG!!! THIS is the voltmeter I installed. It looks exactly the same. However, notice on the spec sheet that it calls for a Zener Diode (which I did install):

http://www.martelmeters.com/pdf/QM_100V.pdf

Sorry about the mistaken identity.

rctwentyfour

Any chance your using it as a frame saver? tongue.gif

j/k tc :rolleyes:

LOL bastidge! :warranty: no, but it is shock tested :goofy:

i did jiggle some wires today and it impacted the meter. i am pulling my fairing off and will check. maybe just a wire that has come lose during the rainstorm

I would suspect the wiring, could be something came loose as you said. If not, i would say it needs replaced...I don't figure most aftermarket electronics are super waterproof....it's a bi-annual investment in my opinion, if you ride all season.

well, threw the lascar away today. it appears as if the wires came loose inside of the meter, so water wasnt the culprit. i think i am going to go with a radar detector with built in voltmeter this time.

well, threw the lascar away today. it appears as if the wires came loose inside of the meter, so water wasnt the culprit. i think i am going to go with a radar detector with built in voltmeter this time.

Those wires are very thin gauge and won't stand up to any tugs. I can't imagine why the manufacturer doesn't use heavier wire.

I spliced mine to thicker wires and ran them out the back through a brass tube epoxied to the back of the meter. What a kludge.

But it's cheap, easy to hook up, and seems accurate.

Those wires are very thin gauge and won't stand up to any tugs. I can't imagine why the manufacturer doesn't use heavier wire.

I spliced mine to thicker wires and ran them out the back through a brass tube epoxied to the back of the meter. What a kludge.

But it's cheap, easy to hook up, and seems accurate.

yep, like smaller than 22 size were small....hairs! i spliced mine about 6" from meter, but didnt pot it. i think it would have been fine had i done this.

Archived