Gps/mounting Which Is The Best

Guest Jbhayman

Guest Jbhayman

Hey....I m taking the plunge and buying a GPS....but what is the best GPS & mount to get and why ? (Thinking of the ZUMO 550 but unsure of the mounting. ($1300 here)

Thanks heaps guys

JBhayman

• Member Contributer
Hey....I m taking the plunge and buying a GPS....but what is the best GPS & mount to get and why ? (Thinking of the ZUMO 550 but unsure of the mounting. ($1300 here)

Thanks heaps guys

JBhayman

Best GPS.......depends.

Lots of Zumo info including mounting in "Tales of Zumo" in Electronics Forum. Have you read that yet?

Thanks heaps guys

JBhayman

Best GPS.......depends.

Lots of Zumo info including mounting in "Tales of Zumo" in Electronics Forum. Have you read that yet?

I have the tom tom ryder 2nd edition and I'm mounting the ram mount using the two bolts that hold the clutch mount on.

I have a Quest 2, the ram mount broke so I used the car suction cup on my tach lens to make the 500 mile trip. So far so good !! I thought for sure it would come off.....

• Member Contributer

I bought the Zumo 550 and have the ram mount for the gas tank with 5 inch extender. This brings the unit to just below the rpm gauge. I tried the clutch resevoir mount and found that i had to look too far away from the road for my comfort. If you but the zumo 550 it comes with the car and clutch mount so you can always get the other mount later if you don't like the position.

The zumo is very easy to use and was really helpful for the tmac trip. I got a 2gb SD card and loaded 400 or so songs onto it. I use wired headphones from the cradle to helmet, but you can get bluetooth headset, I just didn't want another rechargeable itme to worry about.

I got mine from abesofmaine.com for 650$ us, I don't know if this is compatable with your area, but you could try to order from them.

oh and it's waterproof and the touch screen :fing02:

• 1 month later...

I figured that I would just add to this thread instead of starting a new one. Also looking at GPS units and haven't seen a lot of feedback other than the extensive thread on the Zumo. I saw a few comments on the Rider, but nothing other than a few honorable mentions. Are Zumo owners the only ones passionate about their toys? :fing02:

I figured that I would just add to this thread instead of starting a new one. Also looking at GPS units and haven't seen a lot of feedback other than the extensive thread on the Zumo. I saw a few comments on the Rider, but nothing other than a few honorable mentions. Are Zumo owners the only ones passionate about their toys? :fing02:

I used to have a magellan 2200T before I bought the Zumo.

For bike riding, I realized I needed a unit that will:

1) take custom POIs

2) serve as a MP3 player while showing the map

3) allow me to plan routes where I choose the roads from point A to point B

My Magellan did #1 above only. It can play MP3s but you cannot use the map when playing music.

I could not take custom routes.

The zumo did all 3 above.

If you want to get overwhelmed with gps discussion, go to advrider.com. I use the Zumo and I'm very pleased. There is plenty of info on this unit at zumoforums.com.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I did a few other review searches and it seems like those two were the best contenders with the zumo taking the prize. All the places I found to order seemed to say N. America or Europe maps, but would not let you specify once you added it to the cart.

Hope to have one in a few weeks. :wheel:

You can buy refurbished units everywhere and they have the same factory warranty, I'm using a Garmin Quest 2 which I bought off ebay for under $200. It's a little older model(few years) with great features, color screen, etc, etc,. Only down side is a slightly smaller screen and I can still see it! :happy:

Check them out!

Ram Mount w/ cradle. :wheel:

It's a little older model(few years) with great features, color screen, etc, etc,. Only down side is a slightly smaller screen and I cab still see it! :wheel:

Good thing you had that bi-focal visor installed! :happy:

Archived