5th Gen Forks On 6th Gen Vfr800?

Guest AFXRacing

Guest AFXRacing

I've got a quick question...Does anyone know if 5th Generation (98-01) forks are interchangeable or will work on a 6th Generation VFR800 (2003)? Let me know...

Thanks,

Jeff

• Member Contributer

Why would you want to do that? They are smaller (weaker) but yes you could. You'd need the matching triples too and probably front fender. Not sure if the length would be the same tho'.

Yes, doable, need the entire forks/triples, less the wheel and brakes. Handlebars too.

But it's 41mm forks whereas the VTECs are 43mm.

Not the best plan, unless say, you had a crashed VTEC you were fixing up to sell, and happened across a set of 5th gen forks nearly free.

I could see going the other way, fixing a crashed 5th gen and putting 43mm VTEC forks on it, then keeping it to ride yourself.

• Member Contributer
Yes, doable, need the entire forks/triples, less the wheel and brakes. Handlebars too.

But it's 41mm forks whereas the VTECs are 43mm.

Not the best plan, unless say, you had a crashed VTEC you were fixing up to sell, and happened across a set of 5th gen forks nearly free.

I could see going the other way, fixing a crashed 5th gen and putting 43mm VTEC forks on it, then keeping it to ride yourself.

:biggrin: lmao

• Member Contributer

It just hit the 'ol funny bone.

• 3 years later...

I'm looking at replacing my stock '98 fork springs (Racetech), but have spotted a VTEC forks yokes and wheel spindle for not much more. The question is, would that be a good upgrade, and would the VTEC springs need replacement too ??

Yes you will need the vtec fender as the mounting points are slightly different.

Can't comment about the brake caliper brackets. Check the part numbers and see if they are interchangeable???

Vfr 800 rotors are physically interchangeable from 1998 to 2009, including the ABS models (other than the tone ring) If that is any help to you.

As answered above you can fit 6th gen front end to a 5th gen, I have done this twice to friends bikes & there is an improvement & defenitly the way to go if your 5th gen forks need replacing & you want to stay with link brakes & VFR forks.

The parts you need are as follows:

6th gen triple clamps

6th gen clipons

6th gen forks

6th gen guard

The 5th gen brake calipers bolt straight on, the only mod you need to do is just bend the link brake line that goes over guard a little & the proportional valve that mounts to RHS fork leg you mount with one bolt not the two used on the 5th gen forks. The 5th gen wheel, rotors, axle & spacers are interchangeable.

If the standard spring rate suits your weight then no need to change so more of less if the 5th gen forks you have suit your weight with there standard springs then so will the 6th gen, it is recommended you replace fork oil so you have a record of start of service history with replacement forks.

Damn .. missed out on the forks. Mine have a little light pitting above the seals, and the lowers could use a refresh. I went ahead and ordered the Racetechs, but next time I'll be ready .... thanks for all the info.

Good that the info is here ... seems like a good upgrade option, and a bit easier than going all the way to USD or similar (tempting as that is).

Archived