Dashlights Brightness And Headlights Change With Rev's... Should I Prepare For A R/r Or Stator Failure?

Guest mikeym

Guest mikeym

Hey Guys,

Title says it all...

My dashlights and my headlights change brightness when I blip the throttle... It hasn't been a problem so far, but I've only owned my VFR for 2 months.

Should I be preparing for a R/R failure or getting ready to rip into the stator?

~mikeym

• Member Contributer

stop riding it.

NOW.

take a Voltage meter to it, if it goes high (it will spike up over 15 if its bad) its already blown. get the 6th gen one and follow the instructions elsewhere on this site to replace it.

you can damage the computer other things by running overvoltage.

stop riding it.

NOW.

take a Voltage meter to it, if it goes high (it will spike up over 15 if its bad) its already blown. get the 6th gen one and follow the instructions elsewhere on this site to replace it.

you can damage the computer other things by running overvoltage.

oh smooth... where do I connect the voltage meter?

I'm down at college right now... I'll be returning home this weekend (hour ride)...

I'm probably going to replace with a R1 unit and do the mod I have seen on other threads... For the time being if I am not spiking over 15, I'm just going to ride with it. I'd like to install a fan this weekend however...

Can the fan be installed with enough space to mount the R/R underneath the seat cowl?

ALSO

Will CBR units be plug and play?

~mikeym

• Member Contributer

Fix it NOW, or you may be preparing to replace the battery, all the bulbs, ECU and instruments. Put the voltmeter right on the battery terminals and measure the voltage while the engine is running at 4000 RPM or so. While you're there, check the battery terminals for corrosion and looseness.

• Member Contributer
Hey Guys,

Title says it all...

My dashlights and my headlights change brightness when I blip the throttle... It hasn't been a problem so far, but I've only owned my VFR for 2 months.

Should I be preparing for a R/R failure or getting ready to rip into the stator?

~mikeym

Well, you need to check voltage, but if your are blipping from a low idle there will be a voltage change, mine doesn't put out over 13.5 at idle but will jump to a little over 14 by 2000 rpms or so.

The yellow (2000) ones didn't have the reg/rect problems the other colors did (except 2001)

Hey Guys,

Title says it all...

~mikeym

Well, you need to check voltage, but if your are blipping from a low idle there will be a voltage change, mine doesn't put out over 13.5 at idle but will jump to a little over 14 by 2000 rpms or so.

The yellow (2000) ones didn't have the reg/rect problems the other colors did (except 2001)

I also heard this year didn't have the voltage problems. I believe this is probably normal, but I will check it with a voltmeter tomorrow.

~mike

• Member Contributer
Hey Guys,

Title says it all...

~mikeym

I also heard this year didn't have the voltage problems. I believe this is probably normal, but I will check it with a voltmeter tomorrow.

~mike

LOL. They all do. Just a question of choosing your poison.

• Member Contributer
I believe this is probably normal,

~mike

How did good old Lenin put it?

"Trust is good,

control is better"..... :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Hey Guys,

Title says it all...

~mikeym

~mike

LOL. They all do. Just a question of choosing your poison.

:fing02: that was the scene you picked from that movie??? did you see her walking around towards the beginning of the movie? :p

holy off topic batman!

Well, I'm gonna check the regulator tomorrow. I have a deal on an 02 R1 unit that I'm going to throw on here if this doesn't work.

If the regulator is fine, do you guys have a link to the "fan" mod for the stock unit?

~mikeym

If the regulator is fine, do you guys have a link to the "fan" mod for the stock unit?

Don't waste your time, a fan is not going to do a darn thing to keep the regulator from burning up.

Well I did it anyway...

I checked the voltage this past weekend... It never dropped lower than 13.5 and didn't peak higher than 14.5

I figured i'd throw a fan on it to keep it cool... I'll have to post up some pictures when I return to my residence...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Hey guys,

I heard often about R/R problems. I'm just not sure if I'm concerned with my 2001. Should I ?

Thanks

I would.

Archived