I Got The Sub Harness Recall Done But...

spotthedogg

• Member Contributer

The dealer had my bike for 10 days to do my sub harness replacement. I picked it up last night and rode home. The ABS warning light was on the whole ride.

When I got home I took the plastics off to change the oil and install the Factory Pro shift Star kit.

Is there anything you guys can think of that I could look for while I have it apart? I don't want to take it back if I don't have to. Is there any chance they could have installed a NON-ABS harness? I would think it cost prohibitive to make 2 harness....

The wiring harness IS different on ABS/Non-ABS. I don't know all of the differences, but one has to do with the sensor wire. On ABS models it is switch, on Non-ABS it isn't. There are bound to be other differences as the ABS requires electrics.

I would take it back to the dealer. I would also call Honda USA and let them know of the problem, and that 10 days was rediculous to begin with.

• Member Contributer

The EXACT thing happend to mine. Picked it up and ABS light remained on. Turned back that very same day and waited another 3 days for them to fix it. The dealership said it was a plug that wasn't pushed in all the way, making contact. I have no idea if this is what WAS wrong, all I know now is all is working well. There was also another person on here (from Calgary Ab) who had the same problem and turned out to be like what tightwad said. They installed a non ABS harness on an ABS bike.

• Member Contributer

Wow!! And we're supposed to trust those mechanics when they do "real" work on our bikes, like break jobs?!??! I'm going to start double-checking everything they do now... Geeeeeez!

P.P-M

• Member Contributer

I agree, that is nothing short of rediculous. You mean to tell me that no one noticed along the way at any point that the damn harness was different? And even so....noticed the ABS lamp on upon test riding it, or at least starting it up?

Wow....i'd do some serious bitching.

At my dealer here, which is the only choice i've got...it seems that anything outside of maintenance and regular, simple service leaves the staff clueless.

Incredible.

• Member Contributer

I can tell you from 1st hand experience they (well mine didn't, not sure if other dealerships do) test ride it after the recall. The ABS lights suppose automatically turn off after reaching 3-5km/hr, if it's working properly. If they had of done a test ride, they would have seen mine didn't turn off.

These stories are exactly why I won't let a dealer put his hands on my bike. I think I'll just stay with the blue connector fix already done and Kanadian Ken's or Tightwad's wiring improvements. At least I know who did the work (me) and I know the quality. And regardless of what Honda did to the new wiring harness, you can't get a more direct reading from the R/R to the battery than with Kanadian Ken's method of doing the monitor wire.

Tempted to do the same thing to my ST1300.

Just my 2¢.

Archived