Lock Cylinder Recoding?

Zach571

Question

So I recently purchased a '98 VFR 800. 23k on the odo and two keys, WTF?? One operates the ignition and the helmet/seat lock, while the other one solely operates the gas lid. Neither are interchangeable, which requires me to carry two keys. Its annoying here that second key bouncing on the headset over every bump, not to mention the mark it is leaving. I don't think bikes usually ever came with two keys like this, so I am assuming that the gas lid had been replaced for whatever reason and from a used bike. Is there a way to get it recoded?? I know this is done regularly on cars with no problem. I asked a the dealership, but they never heard of it. Anyone have a keychain recommendation that isolates the other key in some way/shape/form??

Zach571

6 answers to this question

call your local lock smith.. You may have to take him the 2 locks or the bike itself but it can be done.......

Not sure if they have changed how they used to make locks on bike but you used to be able to disassemble the lock n remove the tumblers so any key that fits the whole will work..

Think of the xtra key problem as bike security.. Keep the xtra key in your pocket...

Any thief can only go as far as the gas lets him before it runs out.. Then he will leave your bike at the gas station..

When I had a xtra key made it just so happened to fit all the locks but the gas tank..

personnally I like the idea.. I just keep a original key in my pocket..

Think of the xtra key problem as bike security.. Keep the xtra key in your pocket...

Wish I could, all I would worry about then is not having the key when I am a tankfull of gas from home :comp13: I've come to the understanding that I forget things, so I have to set things in front my door for example, if they need to be brought to work the next day. If you get what I'm saying.

Zach571

It can be done. Wedo it on honda cars all the time. Each tumbler has a #, You just put in the sorrosponding#. They should be able to do it with the gas tank lid.

A hona auto dealer has the special kit and tools needed.

an old trick used on double sided car keys was to cut one side for ignition, and the other for locks. If I am not mistaken, only one side actually does the tumbler depressing..you could see about getting one cut that way.

an old trick used on double sided car keys was to cut one side for ignition, and the other for locks. If I am not mistaken, only one side actually does the tumbler depressing..you could see about getting one cut that way.

Thats a good idea, I never thought of that. Basically two keys in one then, and seems like the easiest route as well. I'm gonna have to check into that one.

Zach571

Thats a good idea, I never thought of that. Basically two keys in one then, and seems like the easiest route as well. I'm gonna have to check into that one.

Zach571

Well, that didn't work. The ignition cylinder must use both sides of the key, because I had a half and half key cut, but only works on the gas cap sad.gif

Zach571

Archived