Cut Down My Windscreen

Guest Evan

I got sick of wind buffeting right in my face...it was either go with a taller screen or a shorter one. Since I prefer a sportier look, I opted to chop mine down with an air saw. I masked off the area and went at it. The wind buffets at my chest now and my ears like it a LOT better! Looks a lot sharper too!

Here's a pic :P

VFR2.jpg

Edited by Evan

Veeery interesting indeed... a closer up shot would be good to be able to appreciate the new shape. Just a quicky: how tall are you?? are you all legs or long in the torso? I'm 6'4" and have "issues" with buffeting...

• Member Contributer

Very Cool, I have the same issue with the wind noise. I would like to see some close-up pics, maybe i'll give it a shot.

• Member Contributer

Well, we're waiting,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

how much did you cut off, how about a pic of you on it? If it cuts down on buffeting,, sign me up!

• Member Contributer

I did this same thing a while ago as well to cut down on wind. I used to get my head beat around with th e wind but now it hits my chest and takes weight off my wrists. The only negative I have had is wind going up from my chest up into my helmet which makes my eyes water. I use a chin curtain which keeps out cool wind. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Looks to me like you went just under the center of the lip to the faring tip. Correct?

000_0076-1.jpg

• Member Contributer
I got sick of wind buffeting right in my face...it was either go with a taller screen or a shorter one. Since I prefer a sportier look, I opted to chop mine down with an air saw. I masked off the area and went at it. The wind buffets at my chest now and my ears like it a LOT better! Looks a lot sharper too!

Here's a pic :P

You have a sharp-looking bike! The windshield I've got on mine came off an '06 (notice it's gradient black). I had Seb cut it because I, too, wanted a sportier look. I don't recall experiencing buffeting with my stock windshield. I definitely don't have it now. I'm 5'11''.

I don't tell anybody what to do with their bike but having Seb give your front fender the "super sport" look (the way he did mine) is a great improvement when going for a sportier look.

gallery_8583_3271_45960.jpg

picture2.jpg

DSCN0246.jpg

Rivcyko-

Mine is a little more straight across than that picture you posted.

I can get some better pics tomorrow- it's been a long day and I just want to eat :P

For reference I am 6'1...and I'm pretty proportionate as far as legs:torso ratio goes.

Clean looking bike Keystone wink.gif I thought about going with the black/red wheels...but I think I'm going to spray them a dark bronze

• Member Contributer
Clean looking bike Keystone wink.gif I thought about going with the black/red wheels...but I think I'm going to spray them a dark bronze

Bronze isn't a bad choice (but neither is keeping them silver; they give the bike a Ferrari-like look.) Here are a couple bikes whose wheels you might like.

gallery_8583_3271_8270.jpg

2008 1098R.JPG

gallery_8583_3271_17370.jpg

F4Tamb_2.jpg

• Member Contributer
Very Cool, I have the same issue with the wind noise. I would like to see some close-up pics, maybe i'll give it a shot.

Don't try to cut off the excess all at once. Take it out and ride it. Then go home and cut off an inch. Take it out and ride it. Then go home and cut off an inch.

Repeat until you achieve the desired effect.

:fing02:

• Member Contributer
I sooo want to do the same thing with mine. Where do I get an air saw from?

Use a hand "jigga" saw.

• Member Contributer

After riding this morning I got bored, so I broke out the masking tape and jig saw. The stock windscreen was starting to get hazy anyway, so I figured I could'nt do any harm. This was a piece of cake and I am very happy with the results, the wind now hitting me in the chest instead of the helmet. Thanks for the idea :fing02:

• 1 month later...
Guest Gixxer

How did you guys layout the cut line?

Did you put it on the bike and use a string acrossed the screen?

Did you just lay it out with a stick ruler and sharpie?

Make a templet?

I have problems with noise and with the stock screen notice that if I lift my head up a little higher the wind noise greatly reduces. I have a ZG touring screen I got at ZGoutlet cheap that I'd like to "experiment" on. Plus I like the sportier look. I bought a GIVI which helped a little but it needs to be taller to cut down noise. Man that thing is ugly. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :fing02:

Edited by Gixxer

• Member Contributer

Yes tape it off, and use a sharpie on one end of a string. Make radi, from each lower corner of the windscreen, to the center.

100_38542.jpg

Guest Gixxer
Yes tape it off, and use a sharpie on one end of a string. Make radi, from each lower corner of the windscreen, to the center.

100_38542.jpg

Thanks, I had thought of doing something like that. Other options:

I was actually thinking about tying a string straight across the screen at the upper edge of the fairing (closest to the seat). From there mark a line on the screen and possibly one parallel to it closer to the seat depending on how much I cut off.

Another thought was to make a templet from paper by laying it across the stock screen and tracing the profile from the underside of the screen. Cut the paper and tape it on the screen to be cut in an appropriate position. Then tape off the edge to be cut ad start cutting.

How fine of a saw blade did you use? How much did you cut off the stock screen? 1 inch? 1-1/2 inches? I suppose I'll start at an inch.

Thanks

Guest Gixxer
Oh, I did mine. smile.gifgallery_13129_3632_370974.jpg

100_1857.JPG

Your screen looks like you cut it pretty straight across. How did you do it?

Is the wind noise less?

• Member Contributer

100_38542.jpg

Oh, I did mine. smile.gifgallery_13129_3632_370974.jpg

100_1857.JPG

Your screen looks like you cut it pretty straight across. How did you do it?

Is the wind noise less?

Same deal. Different angle.