Cut Down My Windscreen

Guest Evan

Guest Gixxer

So you guys basically cut from the upper edge of the fairing straight across right?

How's the noise level? I don't want to cut too much off but I know that my Gixxer has a small windscreen and the noise level is much lower than on the VFR.

• Member Contributer

Wow, dude. :fing02: REALLY LOOK AT THE PIC I POSTED. I mean REALLY LOOK AT IT. There are more threads on this, too.

Guest Gixxer
Wow, dude. :fing02: REALLY LOOK AT THE PIC I POSTED. I mean REALLY LOOK AT IT. There are more threads on this, too.

Looks like you just cut off the rounded edge.Pocono's looks like he cut much more off. But I asked, Hows the wind noise now? That's what I'm trying to improve.

Edited by Gixxer

• Member Contributer

Looks like you just cut off the rounded edge.Pocono's looks like he cut uch more off. But I asked, Hows the wind noise now?

Like I said, it is the angle of his pic. Wind noise is cut way back. BUT that is subjective. How tall are you? What is the length of your head/torso, subtracted from that? Do you ride elbows tucked or straight out?

Guest Gixxer

Looks like you just cut off the rounded edge.Pocono's looks like he cut uch more off. But I asked, Hows the wind noise now?

Like I said, it is the angle of his pic. Wind noise is cut way back. BUT that is subjective. How tall are you? What is the length of your head/torso, subtracted from that? Do you ride elbows tucked or straight out?

Ok that's what I needed to know. I'm 5'8", 31" inseam so that means the rest is 37".

I ride in a more sport oriented posture, elbows in, arms relaxed. I think cutting the screen will do the trick based on what I've found from changing my head position. That's what experiments are for. I'll start around where you guys cut and go from there. Glad this is a spare screen

• Member Contributer

Ok that's what I needed to know. I'm 5'8", 31" inseam so that means the rest is 37".

I ride in a more sport oriented posture, elbows in, arms relaxed. I think cutting the screen will do the trick based on what I've found from changing my head position. That's what experiments are for. I'll start around where you guys cut and go from there. Glad this is a spare screen

:beer: That is the perfect place to start. :fing02:

Guest Gixxer

I cut my spare screen down this morning. My idea was to keep it looking similar to the stock but to shorten it up a bit. I basically tied a string acrossed the screen at each edge of the fairing closest the seat and marked the line. I took it off the bike and then laid the stock screen over and traced the curved edges onto the spare screen. After this I taped off the lines and installed it on the bike. I used an air cutoff tool to cut on the lines. Sanded the edges and she's all done. I'd like to get some edging to install over the cut edge. I may also cut off the curved edges so that the screen just has a straight cut acrossed. Anyway, took a test ride and the noise reduction was very good. Here's some pics. Not the best quality but I tried. :fing02:

gallery_13091_3532_84211.jpg

Screen 1 RS.jpg

gallery_13091_3532_48240.jpg

Screen 2 RS.jpg

gallery_13091_3532_48759.jpg

Screen RS.jpg

• Member Contributer

The wind ain't so bad..... Can't hear much above the sound of the Two Bros. anyhow. :fing02:

I just put the 'ole eye ball on it ....ran some masking tape....zapped with a cut off saw....then sanded with 1200.

Took about 30 min.