Carbon Fiber Heat Shields

Guest VFRoj

Guest VFRoj

I've searched all over the forum, and can't find a reference for them, so I guess I'll have to ask for help on this.

I have seen (either on this site or on a store's website) carbon fiber heat shields for the stock exhaust system (both for the mufflers and for the up pipe/collector.

Can anyone here tell me where to get these? They'd go great with a gutted stock exhaust (IMHO).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I think Thurn may have made them at some point.

If you're so inclined, you could probably do it yourself by overlaying the sheilds with carbon fiber and high-temp epoxy. Ask Rivcyko about it.

I've already looked on the Thurn site, but couldn't find any.

I really don't want to just make a heavy part look like a CF part (kind of defeats the purpose, just making the part even heavier...if ever so slightly). I know the VFR will never be a light weight, but still would like to have the real thing...

I did see all 3 shields sold on a site somewhere a few months ago. Has anyone else seen them or know where to find them?

• Member Contributer
something to keep the heat off your right foot wouled be nice too.. Seems the vfr really gives you a hot foot in warm temps.

Take the heat shield off the side of the bike. Then you will really roast. :mellow:

I've already looked on the Thurn site, but couldn't find any.

I really don't want to just make a heavy part look like a CF part (kind of defeats the purpose, just making the part even heavier...if ever so slightly). I know the VFR will never be a light weight, but still would like to have the real thing...

I did see all 3 shields sold on a site somewhere a few months ago. Has anyone else seen them or know where to find them?

Thurn was it. They were discontinued, because of minimal sales. Had tought of doing them, but the demand would not out weigh the cost. An overlay would be your cheapest bet. Total would be less than about 12 oz. I poop bigger.

• Member Contributer

http://www.uscomposites.com/products.html

The problem with epoxy is it will generally yellow. You may google hi-temp epoxies, as U.S. Comp. is a bit limited. For what it's worth, to do shields, (as they don't see a majority of the heat), you may just go with a vinyl ester, for less shrinkage an U.V. resistance.

As for application, you're gonna want to pre-cut the C.F. witha anti-fray glue on your cut line. Scuff your shields, for adhesion. Spray the shields with spray adhesive. Gingerly apply the C.F., being sure not to tent the fabric. Roll fabrir over all edges. (Drill the through holes after cure). Staurate the C.F.. At this point you can leave it loose, and sand later, but I highly suggest, vac. bagging. Then, depending on how good a finish you would like, clear, or top coat with resin. (within 12 hrs).

OR

$200.00 and all 5 shields, I'll do it for you.

Be sure to check ebay and Craigslist. There may be some still floating around.

One member, here, tried to sell his for like, 5 months. No bites. (Think they're gone now).

• Member Contributer
Try this Link. Just make sure you have the webpage in front of you when you call the number because the guy will have no clue as to what you are talking about. Duh.

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/vfr_8001.htm

Nice score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived