Tips And Tricks To Restore Motorcycles(read Post #1 First)

Stéphane

• Member Contributer

OK, for a while, I will update the first post with the ideas as they are being added. It say on which post # you'll find your answer.

OK, for a while, I will update the first post with the ideas as they are being added. It say on which post # you'll find your answer.

Good idea, will make for easier reading, and easier for a mod to insert quotes and PIN THIS THREAD!!!!

To restore the screen, use the Novus system.

Like Seb said, if the screen is scratched, you need something abrasive. I tidied mine up with Meguiars "Swirl Remover" followed by "Plastix", both administered with an electric polisher. Of course, you need to take the windscreen off for this. I sat mine on an old bedcover scrunched up to provide some support.

When you've finished, follow up with Plexus or Pledge applied with a soft cloth.

This worked very well, apart from where a lump of concrete chucked up by a truck tire had left a series of embedded cracks. :rolleyes:

Ok im a Goldsmith and when getting rid of scratches of watch glass (plastic)

This stuff is the mutt's nuts

Untitled-1.jpg

it has a very fine abrasive wadding with the polish soaked into it and bring plastic up like new.

just use a soft cloth to wipe away the polish.

• Member Contributer
Great ideas here,,,, hope this gets pinned,,, hint hint :goofy: :thumbsup:

Just started to take my 82 CBX thru a frame off restoration, oh wait thats cars,, engine off restoration :lol:

Depends on the level of restoration, could be both! :warranty:

2-6-08004.jpg

stuff007.jpg

Looks like your a little ahead of me :lol: Yep thats whats gonna happen to the CBX, go thru it one time, and make it new again

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I just removed to old paint from my 83 VF750. The Aircraft paint remover sure did the job. Brought it right back to to plastic and metal.

Thanks to Sebspeed and Sparrow75.

P8310001.jpg

P8310003.jpg

P8310005.jpg

P8310002.jpg

P8310006.jpg

• Member Contributer
Any tips on bringing an old, sun faded, now opaque windscreen back to life?

Grain of salt, I've never used this stuff, but I trust the brand quite a bit;

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/megplascar.html

If it's safe for plastic windows in the back of convertibles, I'd give it a shot on a VFR 'screen.

+1.gif

• Member Contributer
Moving right along, nice! +1.gif

Did you find out what the original color was?

Blue!

Hmm, too bad, you got the slower version... tongue.gif :squid:

Yes RED ones are faster!!

gallery_8868_2008_14073.jpg

HWY 1 PCH

• Member Contributer
For the windscreen, you might need to get medieval on its azz if it's real bad. For less than the cost of new, you can set up a 3400rpm bench grinder with a loose cotton buff wheel, and polish it. Wet sand the whole thing with 2000 grit 3M paper first. If that sounds daunting, well, it can be. Novus sells a plastic polishing system that may work for you if it's not too horrible. Come to think of it, they sell sanding pads in 4000, 6000, and 8000 grit also.

If it's anything like my stock screen on my 700, it has spiderweb hazing/cracking that appears to pass through the material completely. If that's the case, and you polish it, you'll just have a shiny spiderwebbed screen...

In case it doesn't work out for ya, you can get a new one from Gustaffson plastics in various colors and tints for $129. Type 'vf1000r' into the search bar here: Search Gustaffson Plastics

Cool, I didn't think they would be available anymore. (Running out to pick more $$ off my backyard money tree....)

For the record, I've got two like this:

IMG_4724Large.jpg

Try these guys. They have different colors. I know 2 guys that got Gustaffson shields for their kR's. Neither fit well and you had to drill your own holes. One guy broke his shield while drilling it with their supplied drill bit. It was one of the holes down by the vent. Broke the corner off.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1233/

Try these guys. They have different colors. I know 2 guys that got Gustaffson shields for their kR's. Neither fit well and you had to drill your own holes. One guy broke his shield while drilling it with their supplied drill bit. It was one of the holes down by the vent. Broke the corner off.

I guess Gustaffson doesn't tell you that you need a special drill to cut plastic? +1.gif

I have a few from work, I forget what the taper angle is at the tip, but they're quite pointy, like 30 or 60 degrees...

• Member Contributer

I guess Gustaffson doesn't tell you that you need a special drill to cut plastic? +1.gif

I have a few from work, I forget what the taper angle is at the tip, but they're quite pointy, like 30 or 60 degrees...

No Seb, they sold him a bit but it still broke. It's a compound curve down low so it was probably hard to keep it from cracking from the pressure of the drill. I'd rather get the MRA one, predrilled and less money and probably a better fit. I think some of their shields have the option for adding some height or a race bubble.

I guess having experience drilling thousands of holes(literally) in plastic will come in handy if I ever buy one of their screens... I used to assemble Blackhawk helicopter cargo door windows at work.

Archived