Removing Exhausts

shroffman

Question

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

You can remove the stock exhaust pretty easily. Take off the rear fender first and the rest is pretty straight forward. Toughest part is pulling the pipe away from the catalytic converter.

Trying to donwload the 2002 VTEC service manual but it just says "The file is damaged and could not be repaired". Does anybody else get the same?

I just used the owners manual. It is available from the downloads trail on the homepage

• Member Contributer

Don't really need the service manual to remove the exhaust. If I remember correctly, there are only three bolts.....one each at the cans, just under the seats, and one at the right rear passenger footpeg. The footpeg has to be removed and it has two bolts, one of which holds the exhaust. Remove them in that order after taking off the rear fender. Then it's just a matter of twisting and pulling to get the pipe to come away from the converter. Might want to get someone to help you with this step. I took mine off in once piece. If you are installing an aftermarket exhaust, you will most likely dispose of the donut gasket at the converter. Mine was stuck in the pipe when I pulled it off.

• Member Contributer

I removed mine last week to put on new slip-ons. It is easy.But first put bike on center stand.

1. Remove rear wheel

2. Remove the rear tail section after removing seat.(there are only 4 screws..2 on either side and 2 under the seat near rear)

3. Remove the left and right bolts holding the stock mufflers

4. Loosen bolts that hold exhaust pipe to catalytic header

Once you have all bolts loosened tap exhaust pipe (GENTLY) with hammer to loosen . Then remove all bolts and slightly twist or rock from side to side until exhaust easily slides off. There should be a graphite gasket still on you pipe. Twist it around and gently pull it off

I hope this helps

PS...This is for a 6th Gen only...I don't know about other Generations (5-4-3-2-1-)

I dont remove the rear wheel, fairing or foot peg.

There are two bolts one on each side of the mufflers. Two bolts for the clamp.

Remove the rear fender, loosen clamp, remove two bolts at mufflers. Pull the exhaust off.

The two bolts at the mufflers have nuts that are under the seat.

I hope this helps. If you are still confused I could take pictures if needed. It is pretty simple.

I'm just replacing stock with aftermarket slip-ons so I guess I'm not removing the whole system.

Be great if you supply some pics. Thanks!

I dont remove the rear wheel, fairing or foot peg.

There are two bolts one on each side of the mufflers. Two bolts for the clamp.

Remove the rear fender, loosen clamp, remove two bolts at mufflers. Pull the exhaust off.

The two bolts at the mufflers have nuts that are under the seat.

I hope this helps. If you are still confused I could take pictures if needed. It is pretty simple.

• Member Contributer

The stock system IS one piece.

No you don't have to remove the rear wheel but it just makes it easier to deal with.

I'm removing the whole system. Bought a catless, HotJet coated system from Trace last year and now I want to install...

I bought the 4 new copper crush washers.

Question: Does it matter what order I install the front vs back primaries? The VMax install is specific on doing the back side first..

Got my PCIII, 330 ohm resistors and Cozy's map!!!!

Thanks!

Warren L.

Are you removing the entire system(headers) or just the mufflers ? :wacko:

• Member Contributer
I'm removing the whole system. Bought a catless, HotJet coated system from Trace last year and now I want to install...

I bought the 4 new copper crush washers.

Question: Does it matter what order I install the front vs back primaries? The VMax install is specific on doing the back side first..

Got my PCIII, 330 ohm resistors and Cozy's map!!!!

Thanks!

Warren L.

Are you removing the entire system(headers) or just the mufflers ? :wacko:

Run tinymind's map.

Archived