Headlight Modulator Problem Need Help

Guest EJS4029

Guest EJS4029

I tried installing a dual headlight modulator from comagination on my 06 Interceptor everything went pretty smoothly however, when I tested it it worked fine the high beams modulated and the left low beam stayed on and the right low beam wasn't working...I checked the right bulb and it worked fine so I know it's not the bulb.

I know before I installed the kit when I turned on my high beams the low beams stayed on also I assume they are supopose to ?

When I turn the modulator off only the left low beam stays on...Seems I can get the right low beam working at all.

Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

I tried installing a dual headlight modulator from comagination on my 06 Interceptor everything went pretty smoothly however, when I tested it it worked fine the high beams modulated and the left low beam stayed on and the right low beam wasn't working...I checked the right bulb and it worked fine so I know it's not the bulb.

I know before I installed the kit when I turned on my high beams the low beams stayed on also I assume they are supopose to ?

When I turn the modulator off only the left low beam stays on...Seems I can get the right low beam working at all.

Either the right bulb is dead, or it's not getting power. I'd grab a voltmeter and start testing the wires and working your way back to find the problem. Maybe the first thing I'd do is swap the left and right low beam bulbs and see check to see if it's really the bulb.

Either the right bulb is dead, or it's not getting power. I'd grab a voltmeter and start testing the wires and working your way back to find the problem. Maybe the first thing I'd do is swap the left and right low beam bulbs and see check to see if it's really the bulb.

I did pull the bulb from the right side and checked to see if it worked and it did.....Other then not having power which I will check could the headlight relay be causing a problem with the modulator being hooked up ? possibly thinking the connection is closed ?

I did pull the bulb from the right side and checked to see if it worked and it did.....Other then not having power which I will check could the headlight relay be causing a problem with the modulator being hooked up ? possibly thinking the connection is closed ?

There's only one low beam headlight relay. If it wasn't working, you wouldn't have either of your low beams.

There's only one low beam headlight relay. If it wasn't working, you wouldn't have either of your low beams.

Well I seem to have the problem fixed....I must have knocked the right side low beam connection loose installing the modulator...I tried resetting the right low beam bulb and it didn't then finally after cleaing the connections presto it worked....It seems I have bad luck when trying to install any type of electric farkle...I do the install and something else unrelated doesn't work...Scary.

Well I seem to have the problem fixed....I must have knocked the right side low beam connection loose installing the modulator...I tried resetting the right low beam bulb and it didn't work then finally after cleaing the connections presto it worked....It seems I have bad luck when trying to install any type of electric farkle...I do the install and something else unrelated doesn't work...Scary.

Surely you don't want the high beams modulating as the high beams are never used in traffic. The modulator, if used, should modulate the low beams.

Nope. It's perfectly legal to wire the modulator up so it flashes the high beams.

As per the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard: "A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity..."

Surely you don't want the high beams modulating as the high beams are never used in traffic. The modulator, if used, should modulate the low beams.

Nope. It's perfectly legal to wire the modulator up so it flashes the high beams.

As per the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard: "A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity..."

FWIW, on my Gen5 (two bulbs) with a Kisan modulator it is the high beams that modulate.

I can think of a number of reasons for this:

1. The old British Bike Rule: burnout the high beam first so that you'll be able to get home on the lows...
  2. The idea that the high beams will get peoples attention better.
  3. The idea - on the Kisan units, anyway - that the failsafe is the lows will always work. [After you try driving at night with only flashing high beams, you will completely understand this. Don't ask me how I found out.]

I never said anything about legality. It is however a bad idea to have high beams on in the daytime, modulated or not. I can't understand why one would want modulated high beams. Would be very distracting at night unless the modulator can be disabled.

By law, the modulater must have a light sensor so it deactivates at night (or in low light situations).

The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation

shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000[deg] Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

As far being a bad idea, I have to disagreed. Anything to get people to notice you before they pull out in front of you is good. So if that involves using your high beams during the day, modulated or not, then I believe it's a good idea. I just can't see how it could be bad thing. If you could provide some insight into why, I would certainly appreciate it (seriously, I'm not trying to be a sarcastic ass here, please share your ideas with us). I know quite a few riders who ride with their high beams on during the day (I'm not one of them), and you really do notice them more.

• Member Contributer
The main reason to avoid high beams during the day is that they blind on-coming drivers. The driver sees a brilliant light but can not determine the speed it's approaching or see any turn signals on the bike.

I wouldn't want to have partially blinded drivers approaching me.

I'm one of the people who ride with their high beams on during the day time. Anything to make me more visible is good in my book.

The only motorcycle study that I know of that even deals with daytime use of high beams was the Hurt Report, and it concluded that "using the high beam of a motorcycle’s headlight during the day also helps to prevent violations of the motorcyclist’s right-of-way."

We've all heard the "I didn't see him" excuse from drivers. But I've yet to hear anybody claim that the reason they got into an accident with a motorcycle was because they were blinded by the bike's headlight. :deer:

I would take a slightly mad driver (cause they got blinded for a second - or saw my modulated brights) over the two days in ICU and 8 months learning how to walk again any day smile.gif

She never saw me.

Archived